• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battleship: The Movie

I'm not making this up...
    Silent Hunter UK
    Member of Phoenix Roleplaying

Personal Blog

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I'm definitely not excited about yet another "adaptation" - can you say "remake" - of Dune.

I used to play Battleship as a kid using a piece of paper and a pencil. Not a lot of "great movie" material there.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Battleship? Hmm I can't think of a weirder idea for a movie actually.

But another incarnation of Dune? Well I suppose it won't be any worse than the first one. Wait, should I tempt fate by saying that?
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I think that this just confirms that Hollywood is completely out of new ideas. Adapting "Battleship" ? Come on! Every now and then you get something original, but this is not going to be one of those.
        Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

Coming next: "Tic-Tac-Toe: The Final Battle"!

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
            Battleship? Hmm I can't think of a weirder idea for a movie actually.

But another incarnation of Dune? Well I suppose it won't be any worse than the first one. Wait, should I tempt fate by saying that?
            All right, Les...I'll take the bait.

What didn't you like about the original Dune film?

Comment

COMING SOON TO A THEATER NEAR YOU!!!

Rock, Paper, Scissors: The Movie.

(Be afraid. Be very afraid).

Comment

Good one!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  All right, Les...I'll take the bait.

What didn't you like about the original Dune film?
                  If I might for a moment distract the thread and attempt to be serious (which isn't easy).

Ok first off, having read the actual book, and having knowledge of the story, the setting, and having a clue what was supposed to be going on, I had an advantage over joe nobody just wanting to watch a movie called Dune based on some book by a guy named Frank Herbert.

Joe nobody though did not have that advantage. They release the film and what is impressive, they remove the 15 minutes at the beginning that actually explained the movie. Inspired directing there.

The movie had some stellar acting in it of course. You can give a good actor a lousy script and he's still a good actor. And the film had several good actors.

But too much of the book was missing. The book was easily the equal of Lord of the Rings in that it needed a lot more film to do it right. Children of Dune is just one book in the series, and yet they did it as a mini series. And that is likely why it wasn't as bad. More time to get into the story over all.

They just did a full season of Legend of the Seeker, which is essentially styled off of a book. it wasn't the book verbatim, but it was the essence of the book.

That's where Dune failed. It was rushed, it was poorly thought out, because it is high grade literature, and if you haven't read it, you can't be expected to know what's missing.

Now this Battleship film I have to admit, I almost expect to be told the whole idea is a hoax. But then we're talking about Hollywood. Granted it is not impossible to make a movie about a game. They've already done it before. Tomb Raider, Doom, Final Fantasy to name 3 easy ones from recent time.
                  Then there was Tron from way back.

Just not sure how they will make a movie off this game.

Comment

Instead of remaking Dune,why don't they work on turning the other Dune books into movies?

Btw,I liked both versions of Dune.
                    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                      If I might for a moment distract the thread and attempt to be serious (which isn't easy).

Ok first off, having read the actual book, and having knowledge of the story, the setting, and having a clue what was supposed to be going on, I had an advantage over joe nobody just wanting to watch a movie called Dune based on some book by a guy named Frank Herbert.

Joe nobody though did not have that advantage. They release the film and what is impressive, they remove the 15 minutes at the beginning that actually explained the movie. Inspired directing there.

The movie had some stellar acting in it of course. You can give a good actor a lousy script and he's still a good actor. And the film had several good actors.

But too much of the book was missing. The book was easily the equal of Lord of the Rings in that it needed a lot more film to do it right. Children of Dune is just one book in the series, and yet they did it as a mini series. And that is likely why it wasn't as bad. More time to get into the story over all.

They just did a full season of Legend of the Seeker, which is essentially styled off of a book. it wasn't the book verbatim, but it was the essence of the book.

That's where Dune failed. It was rushed, it was poorly thought out, because it is high grade literature, and if you haven't read it, you can't be expected to know what's missing.

Now this Battleship film I have to admit, I almost expect to be told the whole idea is a hoax. But then we're talking about Hollywood. Granted it is not impossible to make a movie about a game. They've already done it before. Tomb Raider, Doom, Final Fantasy to name 3 easy ones from recent time.
                      Then there was Tron from way back.

Just not sure how they will make a movie off this game.
                      It's very hard to make a decent movie based on a complex book like Dune. I never gave it too much thought because I had read the book, and several of Herbert's others, before seeing the film, so things "fell into place". Your point about the beginnings of the film are well taken, and a fault all too common to this type of film. Dune made by Jackson as a trilogy on the order of The Lord Of The Rings would have been terrific.

Out of sheer curiousity, have you ever read Under Pressure by Herbert? It's sci-fi and pre-Dune, but oddly prophetic of the world today.

Comment

Have not read Under Pressure yet. Ironically even though I am such a fan, I hate not made the effort to find all his works.

Recently read his title The White Plague. That was an interesting story too. Would make a simple film I would think.

But yes, that which makes a great book is often based on the writer`s skill. Pity is, most movie directors know nothing of writing (it would seem) and thus can`t really see why a book was ever great in the first place.

I`d love to see them do the other books Legate, considering how many there are. Going right back in setting to the setting beginning co authored by Brian and Kevin. A lot of film available, but it never stopped them with Star Trek eh.

Comment

Under Pressure, also marketed later in reprint as Dragon In The Sea:

In the world of the future, war is about oil. America has developed very deep diving submarine oil technology, including "tugs" that haul "slugs", submerged barges that fill up with crude oil pirated from oils drilled in Soviet waters.

A problem has developed with psych breakdowns among the very select and highly trained crews, so a shrink is trained to become a part of a crew and sent aboard undercover on a mission, to ultimately report on why and what to do about it to avoid crippling the supply of oil.

It's a very well written and tense psychological thriller more than anything else, hence the original title "Under Pressure", as the crew is both literally and figuratively under an enormous amount of pressure, from the enemy, the depth of the sea, and most of all from themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Under Pressure, also marketed later in reprint as Dragon In The Sea:

In the world of the future, war is about oil. America has developed very deep diving submarine oil technology, including "tugs" that haul "slugs", submerged barges that fill up with crude oil pirated from oils drilled in Soviet waters.

A problem has developed with psych breakdowns among the very select and highly trained crews, so a shrink is trained to become a part of a crew and sent aboard undercover on a mission, to ultimately report on why and what to do about it to avoid crippling the supply of oil.

It's a very well written and tense psychological thriller more than anything else, hence the original title "Under Pressure", as the crew is both literally and figuratively under an enormous amount of pressure, from the enemy, the depth of the sea, and most of all from themselves.
                            This sounds very interesting. I'll admit that I've never read any of Herbert's stuff, though this conversation is getting me interested, especially the remark that Dune is the equal of Lord of the Rings, which is one of my favorite pieces of literature. Thanks guys, I'm going to go out the bookstore to pick up a copy of the first Dune book! Thats why I love this forum: one is constantly exposed to new things and new ideas, not all of which are history related.
                            Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

In the realm of writing, it is claimed that Lord of the Rings is the greatest work in imaginative fantasy while Dune is the greatest work in science fiction.

I tend to agree.

And both are as demanding a choice to make into a film and not anger a lot of people

Both are clearly written by masters of their language and craft.

If you enjoy Dune, know this, there are currently quite a few books written for the world that the first novel was written for. It will be a long journey you might well consider one of the greatest reads of a lifetime. Ive been enjoying absorbing the series for half my life now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X