"President" movies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "President" movies...

Last night we watched the movie, Dave on TV. Kevin Kline plays a guy named Dave who is a look-a-like of the President and he gets roped into being President by a scheming Chief of Staff played by Frank Langella. I had forgotten how good this movie was.

Here are some of my favorite "President" movies...

Dave - Kevin Kline, Sigourney Weaver, Frank Langella, Ben Kingsley.

State of the Union - Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn, Angela Lansbury.

My Fellow Americans - James Garner, Jack Lemmon, Dan Ackroyd.

Seven Days in May - Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Frederic March, Ava Gardner.

Fail-Safe - Henry Fonda, Walter Matthau, Frank Overton, Larry Hagman.

What are some other good movies involving US Presidents and/or presidential elections (fiction or non-fiction)?
    Last edited by The Doctor; 14 Aug 09, 11:08. Reason: State of the Nation should hve been State of the Union...Ooops
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Absolute Power was interesting.

National Treasure 2 actually involves the President in a funny fashion.

Man of the Year, or how I think the election should go
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

How about Thirteen Days? Granted it is a highly suspect account of a Kennedy staffer, but it's still a good study of decision making in a crisis.

Comment

Dave is head and sholders above all the rest. A very good, and very under rated movie.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhbuckeye View Post
          Dave is head and sholders above all the rest. A very good, and very under rated movie.
          Unlike that uber-stinker starring Michael Douglas, The American President.

Comment

If I recall correctly, 'Employment' featured prominently as a legislative initiative in both Dave and The American President. I think that was before 'Global Warming' and 'Health Care Reform' became such hot topics.

Comment

I had totally forgotten how good of a movie it was...
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

As a segue, does anybody remember when Fox-TV started original entertainment programming one of their few shows was a comedy starring George C. Scott as the US President? I'm sure I could look it up on IMDB, but as I recall it was a sitcom basically revolving around his family in the White House (at one point his wife leaves him). I remember that I liked th show quite a bit, but it didn't last for much more then its' initial season. I think this was television's first foray into the presidency.

Comment

As a segue, does anybody remember when Fox-TV started original entertainment programming one of their few shows was a comedy starring George C. Scott as the US President? I'm sure I could look it up on IMDB, but as I recall it was a sitcom basically revolving around his family in the White House (at one point his wife leaves him). I remember that I liked th show quite a bit, but it didn't last for much more then its' initial season. I think this was television's first foray into the presidency.
                  With Madeleine Kahn as the First Lady IIRC.

Comment

I liked "My Fellow Americans" with Jack Lemmon. jajaja Just thinking about it makes me chuckle.
                    "Here is something you never did. I was Time Magazine's Man of the Year!"
                    Response: "So was Hitler!"
                    "Ah, but not twice!"

Comment

You missed one the best: The American President with Michael Douglas.

Movies involving presidents? Hmmm...how about Line of Fire with Eastwood?

Dr. Strangelove with Peter Sellers?

Any disaster movie in which someone "briefs the president"?

Sum of All Fears, perhaps? Or Clear and Present Danger?

Or the docu-film done with Kostner and others on the Cuban Misslie Crisis?

Kennedy, starring Kostner?

The Wind and the Lion, with Connery and Dennehy?
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

How could I have forgotten The Wind and the Lion... ...???

It was Brian Keith... Not Dennehy... Although they did look somewhat alike.

That is my favorite all-time movie... "thumup:

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                          What are some other good movies involving US Presidents and/or presidential elections (fiction or non-fiction)?
                          The West Wing, not a movie, and it probably gets under your skin Dave, but I think it was a great TV show

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                            The West Wing, not a movie, and it probably gets under your skin Dave, but I think it was a great TV show
                            I've never seen a single episode...

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                              I've never seen a single episode...
                              Figures

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X