Specifically SCARY films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specifically SCARY films

Today I stumbled on Darkness Falls. Never managed to watch it when it came out.

Now this film has some nice timing. Let me tell you not much makes me jump, but this film is truly good at the fright sequence part. Yeah it's not like you will be 'really' scared, as it's just a film eh. But dang if it came make ME jump, it is good and scary

Got any favs to mention for films genuinely good at making you jump?
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Jaws had a couple of moments. Alien did, too. I was terrified during the original The Thing. (about 5 1/2 y/o on the troopship to Germany)

I'm not a big fan of sudden slash-and-gore; too many films substitute sudden gratuitous violence for meaningful suspense. I would have liked to have seen Jaws as directed by Hitchcock, for example.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Yep, special effects is not nearly as good as just plain cleverly planned out sequences. In the film Darkness Falls, most of the stuff happens in a dark poorly lit environment.

Comment

Not for the faint hearted!

Anybody deciding to watch this film could be forgiven for thinking I must be a bit of a wuss for suggesting that this film is scary. Give it time, it IS a slow starter but the viewer does get glimpses of what the girl in the poster is capable of. However, I challenge anybody to view the last portion of the film and not feel queasy afterwards. I like Japanese films but I wouldn't watch this one again.

HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Jaws had a couple of moments. Alien did, too. I was terrified during the original The Thing. (about 5 1/2 y/o on the troopship to Germany)

I'm not a big fan of sudden slash-and-gore; too many films substitute sudden gratuitous violence for meaningful suspense. I would have liked to have seen Jaws as directed by Hitchcock, for example.
          Same here.

The one movie that really made me "jump" a few times was Jaws.
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I was five years old in 1987 when I saw JAWS on cable television. That movie scared me more than anything I have ever seen.

My parents would have killed me if they had known I saw the movie and it definitely left an impression on me for a VERY long time afterwards.

Ben
            "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

One of the few movies that really scared me was the Brian DePalma thriller, "Dressed to Kill". Maybe it was Michael Caine in drag.........
              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

The first Friday the 13th (the original) made me jump. Several months ago I watched Midnight Meat Train and that movie has the best of both worlds in my opinion - some spooky moments and blood/guts. Watch it in the dark for best setting!
                "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Don't watch many films these days, but as a kid some scary films stuck in my mind, Jaws, Razorback and the White Buffalo(I was very young at the time)... these last two seem quite lame these days but as a kid they were fascinating.
                  Alien is another good one.
                  "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                  Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                    The first Friday the 13th (the original) made me jump. Several months ago I watched Midnight Meat Train and that movie has the best of both worlds in my opinion - some spooky moments and blood/guts. Watch it in the dark for best setting!
                    Nothing good can possibly come out of a movie named "Midnight Meat Train."

Comment

Man been a long time since I saw White Buffalo

Just added a film my son mentioned to my watched list. Skeleton Key.

Slow looking pace, and something of a 'did you notice the detail' type film. It's not an action film or a 'BOO! gotcha film', but it does have a neat ending which might take you by surprise. I thought I had it figured out right up to the conclusion where I found out I had miss read it entirely.

It won't make sleep difficult, but it was a good film.

Comment

I used to jump at horror movies but they've gotten so predictable I don't anymore. I was watching The Unborn and when they do the whole mirror rattle deal I was thinking "okay she opens the medicine cabinet and something jumps out at her". Needless to say I called it right on the money. I don't think I've had a horror movie scare me since I was ten and these days I just watch to see how good their special effects are and play MST3K.

Maybe if they made a movie called "Government Run Hospital" that would scare me. Plenty of suffering and death and unlike rampaging ghosts and zombies this one actually can happen.
                        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                          Man been a long time since I saw White Buffalo

Just added a film my son mentioned to my watched list. Skeleton Key.

Slow looking pace, and something of a 'did you notice the detail' type film. It's not an action film or a 'BOO! gotcha film', but it does have a neat ending which might take you by surprise. I thought I had it figured out right up to the conclusion where I found out I had miss read it entirely.

It won't make sleep difficult, but it was a good film.
                          Yes, it was. Kind of a "sleeper", as you say, but good. So was Depp's Ninth Gate.

Comment

Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
                            I used to jump at horror movies but they've gotten so predictable I don't anymore. I was watching The Unborn and when they do the whole mirror rattle deal I was thinking "okay she opens the medicine cabinet and something jumps out at her". Needless to say I called it right on the money. I don't think I've had a horror movie scare me since I was ten and these days I just watch to see how good their special effects are and play MST3K.

Maybe if they made a movie called "Government Run Hospital" that would scare me. Plenty of suffering and death and unlike rampaging ghosts and zombies this one actually can happen.
                            Rampaging zombies = the government administrators.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Nothing good can possibly come out of a movie named "Midnight Meat Train."
                              I knew very little about the movie going in, but was presently surprised that it turned out to be a decent movie. Without giving away the whole story it seems the main bad guy is picked to do a job for these demons and by doing this job it saves the masses from their wrath. Don't let the title stop you.
                              "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                              -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X