Realistic Violence in Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
    I took a look at the From Russia With Love fight scene between Sean Connery and Robert Shaw again.

I must say, modern fight scenes do not put it to shame. It's still pretty good and realistic!

I think one key ingredient about good fight scenes is that - even though you know the hero will win in the end - for a few crucial moments, you're not so sure! The tension of uncertainty is there as the hero fights against an equally skilled opponent for survival.

Maybe that's why the Bourne sequels didn't quite hold up so well. They overdid things, and Jason Bourne became too much of a superhero. There's no tension. All we see is how Jason Bourne efficiently dispatched everyone who is stupid or ignorant enough to go up against him.
    Thanks for bringing back my favorite fight scene from the Bond canon. Actually Connery got in a lot of good licks while playing 007 and Lazenby in his one appearence handled the physical stuff well. Hand to hand combat virtually disapeared with Roger Moore in the role and when he did square off it was laughable. Dalton and Brosan were bigger fighters then Moore, not as much as Connery but none too effective or convincing. So really the Craig Bond is the most physical since Connery and while I don't love the overall characterization it is a welcome return to an important aspect of the 007 character.

Comment

It depends.

I recall the first time I saw Saving Private Ryan in the theatre, and I was truly uncomfortable with what I was seeing. I was glad to see everyone else was horrified too.

The first time I watched the graphic violence in Rambo 4 it was all I could do to not cry from watching it.

Maybe it`s just as well it is shown as horrible in those cases though, why sugar coat the brutality of the real world.

But I don`t find it adds anything to fiction films where nothing in them ever actually happened. I don`t find gore films appealing at all. So its not a feature I care to see made MORE graphic with newer and newer filming technologies when there is nothing of the real world involved.

I don`t care for gore for gore`s sake in games either.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

But it really boosts the sales to kids, and that part is what worries me.

And, no offense, les - but don't forget the overly graphic gore and violence in some of the anime flics. The Japanese are some seriosly disturbed people.

But then, there was Heavy Metal...
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          But it really boosts the sales to kids, and that part is what worries me.

And, no offense, les - but don't forget the overly graphic gore and violence in some of the anime flics. The Japanese are some seriosly disturbed people.

But then, there was Heavy Metal...
          Oh I agree Mountain Man, no one does copious amounts of body fluids like anime, nor ultimate ammo loads for military hardware

I try to stick to the 'slice of life' slanted stuff. Ninja Scroll was not my thing.
          Life is change. Built models for decades.
          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X