Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars Nerds vs Trekkies Trekkers phahh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars Nerds vs Trekkies Trekkers phahh!

Had a buddy drop by the other day, with a video called Fanboys.

I don't really suggest it, unless films like Clerks or 40 year old Virgin interest you.

We turned it off just before halfway point following the confrontation between the Trekkers at the monument sequence.

And today I was thinking, following last night's viewing of disc 1 of Lord of the Rings, what's so damn engaging about either that makes these losers (both groups) so damned obsessed with their franchise?

Neither has shows that even belong in the same category with the Lord of the Rings epic. And no, I have NO desire to cosplay as anyone from the Lord of the Rings epic.

The first season of Trek was landmark in its time.
    The first Star Wars film was landmark in its time.

Then Star Trek became something else. It had a few good films, then it had all the series, but frankly, it lost the 'edge' and became a lot of more of the same.
    By episode 3, Star Wars certainly was no longer 'special' as well.

Why do the fans worship it?

Lord of the Rings is clearly a masterpiece from start to finish. In scope it's immense. The visuals are awesome. I've watched all the Star Wars films enough times. I have all the Trek movies. Neither can hold their own against Lord of the Rings.
    And Lord of the Rings will always have the books it came from, which are quite simply unequalled in epic fantasy.

Lord of the Rings gave us an entire industry of role gaming, from paper n pencil gaming, to just about anything with the letters RPG attached in the electronic gaming world.
    All we got from Star Wars and Star Trek seems to be socially challenged idiots with an obsession with hating each other.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

My favorite Trek story is one I've told here a few times but worth repeating. I was on a bus trip in Yucatan Mexico to see some ancient ruins there. It was a 4 hour jaunt in a small bus and my wife and I were sharing the ride with about a dozen film students who spent nearly the entire 4 hours talking about the Star Trek universe. The highlight of the whole trip was when one chap said that he used to be a member of a local Trek club but he splintered off when he determined they weren't "serious" enough about the show. I consider myself a fan of both Trek and Star Wars but it was 4 hours of torture.

To answer your question I suspect these 2 groups merely provide outlets for people to discuss and argue and revere their favorite "team". You see the same thing when Chevy fans mix with Ford fans. You either like big block Mustangs or big block Camaros. There is no middle ground!
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

I like the Star Trek films and the Star Trek Classic TV show, but don't go to the cons or wear pointy ears. I much prefer the Lord of the Rings films, which I attribute to two things:
      • The brilliance of Tolkein's original work
      • The brilliance of Peter Jackson's producing.
      Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
      http://www.mormon.org
      http://www.sca.org
      http://www.scv.org/
      http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Janos View Post
        I like the Star Trek films and the Star Trek Classic TV show, but don't go to the cons or wear pointy ears. I much prefer the Lord of the Rings films, which I attribute to two things:
        • The brilliance of Tolkein's original work
        • The brilliance of Peter Jackson's producing.

I really liked the Tolkein books but I was not a huge fan of the movies. By the end of the second one, I wanted to throw Frodo in the damn volcano myself. He is portrayed as a whiny weak halfling who wallows in self pity, loathing every moment of the burden he bears. MAN UP!! Good God there are few characters I hate as much as him.

Ben
        "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Leftie View Post
          I really liked the Tolkein books but I was not a huge fan of the movies. By the end of the second one, I wanted to throw Frodo in the damn volcano myself. He is portrayed as a whiny weak halfling who wallows in self pity, loathing every moment of the burden he bears. MAN UP!! Good God there are few characters I hate as much as him.

Ben
          I am not a big Frodo fan either...by that part of the trilogy I admit I have more interest in the rest of the party.

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:

Comment

I think you are comparing apples to oranges here.

Or perhaps a more approprite analogy would be to say you are comparing Orcs to Klingons.

The Lord of the Rings is a recognized literary classic, made into film in masterful style. Star Trek was a guys idea for a television show which, although visionary, was designed to sell toilet paper. The central essence of Trek simply caught the imagination of its viewers, and survives to this day. To try and compare the two is disengenuous, Tolkein is a literary legend, Roddenbery is a television legend. The two are not the same.

As for Star Wars, Lucas couldn't write a compelling story if Steven King wrote the first 90 percent of it for him. The Shining would have had robots.....
            Last edited by Martok; 23 Jun 09, 13:23.

Comment

Well being in possession of a ring capable of usurping the free will of the most hardened of warriors or men of magic would I think tend to make a mediorce Hobbit a bit stressed out.

That said, I find it odd that right after Lord of the Rings, Jackson did King Kong, which, I personally thought was cheesy in the extreme, and made me ponder if Lord of the Rings was some sort of fluke for him. But seems harsh.

I've heard soooooo many people jump on Lucas for being unable to write his way out of a wet paper bag. Maybe. He seemed ok with the first film. The last three were entertaining to me, just not equals or even close to the Lord of the Rings films.

I enjoyed the first Trek movie actually. Maybe cerebral and dull is not a problem for me. Then again, I liked 2001 as well.

Comment

Well being in possession of a ring capable of usurping the free will of the most hardened of warriors or men of magic would I think tend to make a mediorce Hobbit a bit stressed out.

That said, I find it odd that right after Lord of the Rings, Jackson did King Kong, which, I personally thought was cheesy in the extreme, and made me ponder if Lord of the Rings was some sort of fluke for him. But seems harsh.

I've heard soooooo many people jump on Lucas for being unable to write his way out of a wet paper bag. Maybe. He seemed ok with the first film. The last three were entertaining to me, just not equals or even close to the Lord of the Rings films.

I enjoyed the first Trek movie actually. Maybe cerebral and dull is not a problem for me. Then again, I liked 2001 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                  Had a buddy drop by the other day, with a video called Fanboys.

I don't really suggest it, unless films like Clerks or 40 year old Virgin interest you.
                  yes to both. May I recommend you putting on your flame suit?

Then Star Trek became something else. It had a few good films, then it had all the series, but frankly, it lost the 'edge' and became a lot of more of the same.
                  By episode 3, Star Wars certainly was no longer 'special' as well.
                  ok, here you earned it. Ep 3 is the last movie(Revenge of the Sith). Ep 6 (Return of the Jedi) was the third. And it freakin rocked, ok?!?!?!?!

Why do the fans worship it?
                  Cause it freakin ROCKED!!!!

Lord of the Rings is clearly a masterpiece from start to finish. In scope it's immense. The visuals are awesome. I've watched all the Star Wars films enough times. I have all the Trek movies. Neither can hold their own against Lord of the Rings.
                  Apples to oranges. THEY FREAKIN ROCK

As for the rest, yeah, cosplayers are losers.

Comment

Yeah, it rocked...

With lines such as:

"I thought I smelled your foul stench when I came on board!"

Return of the Jedi was simply Star Wars made over again, as was the fourth movie to come out.

Attack the death star, fly down this corridor, cause an explosion inside which blows everything up, and lots of robots. Yada yada yada...

Comment

I have often wondered though, if Seven Samurai had never been done, who would Lucas have copied for a story?
                      Not that he's the only one that has used it.

To some extent, Star Wars and Star Trek have both made the sin of assuming you can spin an endless stream of sequels from a franchise.

I'm really glad the last trek film effectively threw out the entire timeline/setting. Now all those series/movies, and all the books and all the card games and the rolegames, none of the content is valid any longer
                      Going to be rough on all the publishers of that stuff eh.

No Vulcan any more, I wonder what else has changed.

Comment

Yeoman Rand is actually attractive?

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
                          Yeoman Rand is actually attractive?

I'd say yes.

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:

Comment

A lot of it is marketing too. Many of us grew up in the age of the first Star Wars - which I think many would agree was the first film to really mass market toys, games, models, books, comics, etc. to its fanbase (mocked in Spaceballs with "Spaceballs: The Toilet Paper" LOL). Thus it was ingrained into us as children and why Episodes I-III were destined to be successful no matter how lame the story arc was.

LOTR, while definitely brilliant, was aimed at adults. Maybe there were toys and action figures, but a Hobbit figure is never going to compare to droids!
                            Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
                              A lot of it is marketing too. Many of us grew up in the age of the first Star Wars - which I think many would agree was the first film to really mass market toys, games, models, books, comics, etc. to its fanbase (mocked in Spaceballs with "Spaceballs: The Toilet Paper" LOL). Thus it was ingrained into us as children and why Episodes I-III were destined to be successful no matter how lame the story arc was.

LOTR, while definitely brilliant, was aimed at adults. Maybe there were toys and action figures, but a Hobbit figure is never going to compare to droids!
                              I can remember Star Wars toys. I had a Return of the Jedi toybox when I was a young 'un. It served me faithfully throughout my childhood.
                              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X