Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek, the movie [MAJOR SPOILERS]

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    The problem is not so much lack of scripts, the problem is funding. How many investors are lined up out there to make Star Trek movies? Lots of other movies are cheaper and more likely to show a profit.

    I would love to see the MacAusland series (by Fraser) of short stories make it to the screen/TV, but who will fund it? You could shoot the North Africa scenes in Spain, but the whole thing could get expensive fast. Besides, who could play MacAusland? Would the Scots have proper Glasgow accents?

    Pruitt
    I haven't read the McAuslan books yet but the unit was based on the Gordon Highlanders and Fraser's time in it (was his family's Regt.). They should have accents like me 'n spik like me ken fit a mean like? They'd be spikin gweed Doric 'n nae at wimpy Weegie spik, folk tryin tae act hard.

    Comment


    • #92
      Precisely!

      Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

      Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

      by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by TJAdams View Post
        All these ideas have some merit, but remember the one unclimbable slick column of direction-light: Roddenberry's idea.

        Roddenberry wanted a certain look & feel to the show and it was his ship to pilot as it was till he died. (Even forcing his wife on every episode, series or plot via in person or the computer's voice)

        No one wants to crack and toss out the Roddenberry mold. It's as if a level ten force field is in place when it comes to what the show can and cannot do.
        I think you misinterpret Rick Berman's lack of creativity for a desire to follow Roddenberry's path.

        There's no way the the studio or financiers give a hovering donkey about the Roddenberry spirit as long as the thing sells. What has kept thing on what you seem to perceive a Roddenberry path is just the particular crew in place during pretty much all the newer material, and that is a crew that Star Trek fans were never happy with at all.

        You should know that originally Berman was supposed to do the new Star Trek movie, a few years ago after Enterprise. Somebody got the clue that maybe it's not wise to hire the guy who's driven the show to 1/4th of the audience and instead wait until the guy who does all the new exciting geek stuff has time and motivation.

        As for cost, keep in mind that actual spaceship stuff, battles in particular, keeps getting much cheaper, due to reusable computer models and increased computing power. Overall I think there's room to have a fresh start at a "B5-style" Star Trek series, with long story arc(s) (don't **** it up like the "Temporal Cold War" (WTF?)), local story arc and of course lots of ships blowing each other up.

        An early setting also has the advantage that you don't need to many too exotic aliens. How TNG survived the introduction of "Q" in the first episode I don't know, but don't do that again.

        Comment


        • #94
          As long as there are Klingons, I will be happy.

          Comment


          • #95
            Yup...

            Exotic aliens are fine, but make sure we can relate to them in some ways. Don't make them too technologically superior to us. I think fans will lose the interest.

            This is why think doing a show on Gamma Quadrant is an excellent way of telling new story lines and bringing in fresh creative ideas of where to take the Star Trek franchise in a different direction.

            Temporal War was a poorly conceived idea of a story arc line. Looking back, I think the story arc line should have been about either Klingons or Romulans. It should explore how the Earth formed an alliance with other species from the beginning of Enterprise show, taking four or five years to see some good results. In fact, the Season 4 of Enterprise show was much better, but in some places, the mini-story arc lines didn't make any sense or were too short. I was just plain lost on Mirror universe, and the final episodes (Demons and Terra Prime) didn't make any sense because they were so short. The part on Romulans were well done, but even so, too short.

            However, if you want a long story arc line that takes place over a season, just make sure it's interesting and doesn't bring in too much of exotic aliens. Sphere builders? The Xindi races? Please. The writers could have done a better job of exposing the Earth to dangers of interstellar travel. That should have been about how Romulans are plotting to destabilize the region, it's a story line that's way better than the Xindi threat and we can even relate to that (consider our experience with USSR and Cold War).

            What do you think....?

            Dan
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

            "Aim small, miss small."

            Comment


            • #96
              Right.

              What some Star Trek writers seem to have overlooked (hard to believe but the evidence is there), or (worse) thought geeks would like is all-powerful enemies or entities.

              All the hard work that your primary figures do is devalued if there's constantly somebody who can wipe out everything with a wave of the hand, or worse, accomplish our figure's lifetime achievements in an eyeblink. How can you relate to the figure's efforts that way.

              The temporal cold war is hardly worth even bashing it, too easy target. And it gave long story arcs a bad name, I hope people also remember B5 (although the B5 story arc was assassinated by the show owners).

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                Yup...

                Exotic aliens are fine, but make sure we can relate to them in some ways. Don't make them too technologically superior to us. I think fans will lose the interest.

                This is why think doing a show on Gamma Quadrant is an excellent way of telling new story lines and bringing in fresh creative ideas of where to take the Star Trek franchise in a different direction.

                Temporal War was a poorly conceived idea of a story arc line. Looking back, I think the story arc line should have been about either Klingons or Romulans. It should explore how the Earth formed an alliance with other species from the beginning of Enterprise show, taking four or five years to see some good results. In fact, the Season 4 of Enterprise show was much better, but in some places, the mini-story arc lines didn't make any sense or were too short. I was just plain lost on Mirror universe, and the final episodes (Demons and Terra Prime) didn't make any sense because they were so short. The part on Romulans were well done, but even so, too short.

                However, if you want a long story arc line that takes place over a season, just make sure it's interesting and doesn't bring in too much of exotic aliens. Sphere builders? The Xindi races? Please. The writers could have done a better job of exposing the Earth to dangers of interstellar travel. That should have been about how Romulans are plotting to destabilize the region, it's a story line that's way better than the Xindi threat and we can even relate to that (consider our experience with USSR and Cold War).

                What do you think....?

                Dan
                I want one that has politics! Politics or pirates! But the last two films (all the films with the Romulans) revolve around one pissed off Romulan out to destroy humanity. Why can't we have a plot by the Talsh Y'ar to build a secret fleet/army of its own not under control of the Senate, or to smuggle weapons to pirate/brigand/rebels in outlying federation colonies and the federation crew have to figure out how to outsmart the perps bring down the pirates, stop the Talsh Y'ar and do it without allowing a confrontation to blow up in their face and turn into Total War. I don't like these plots where it is just "I'm a really angry Romulan who will destroy the world because I'm angry." I don't want that, I want PIRATES! Some of the best TNG episodes were the ones with the Pirates! Like when the Ferengi invested in some old Birds of Prey and managed to ambush the Enterprise, or the episode when Picard had left the enterprise under Cmdr.Riker to deal with a pirate ship with heavy armor and powerfull front mounted gun. That's what I want to see, the seedy underbelly of the Federation (and pirates).

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by Redwolf
                  All the hard work that your primary figures do is devalued if there's constantly somebody who can wipe out everything with a wave of the hand, or worse, accomplish our figure's lifetime achievements in an eyeblink. How can you relate to the figure's efforts that way.
                  Correct. It's like the foolish decision by Peter Jackson in the 3rd LOTR movie to have the green slime go all the way to the Pelennor Fields. It made pointless the Ride of the Rohirrim and Minas Tirith resistance.

                  And made you wonder where the occasionally present virtually omniscient Star Trek beings were at other times the universe is threatened. Like the ones in Errand of Mercy.
                  Last edited by Tuor; 01 Jun 09, 14:07.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Tuor View Post
                    Correct. It's like the foolish decision by Peter Jackson in the 3rd LOTR movie to have the green slime go all the way to the Pelennor Fields. It made pointless the Ride of the Rohirrim and Minas Tirith resistance.

                    ...
                    Not a foolish decision if you read the book. It is explained in great detail there. Although I never did get the impression The Dead were green.
                    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                    _________
                    BoRG
                    __________
                    "I am Arthur, King of the Britons!"

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Cicero View Post
                      I want one that has politics! Politics or pirates! But the last two films (all the films with the Romulans) revolve around one pissed off Romulan out to destroy humanity. Why can't we have a plot by the Talsh Y'ar to build a secret fleet/army of its own not under control of the Senate, or to smuggle weapons to pirate/brigand/rebels in outlying federation colonies and the federation crew have to figure out how to outsmart the perps bring down the pirates, stop the Talsh Y'ar and do it without allowing a confrontation to blow up in their face and turn into Total War. I don't like these plots where it is just "I'm a really angry Romulan who will destroy the world because I'm angry." I don't want that, I want PIRATES! Some of the best TNG episodes were the ones with the Pirates! Like when the Ferengi invested in some old Birds of Prey and managed to ambush the Enterprise, or the episode when Picard had left the enterprise under Cmdr.Riker to deal with a pirate ship with heavy armor and powerfull front mounted gun. That's what I want to see, the seedy underbelly of the Federation (and pirates).

                      Would you mind if there were Pirates in the story?
                      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                      _________
                      BoRG
                      __________
                      "I am Arthur, King of the Britons!"

                      Comment


                      • Originally Posted by Tuor
                        Correct. It's like the foolish decision by Peter Jackson in the 3rd LOTR movie to have the green slime go all the way to the Pelennor Fields. It made pointless the Ride of the Rohirrim and Minas Tirith resistance.

                        Not a foolish decision if you read the book. It is explained in great detail there. Although I never did get the impression The Dead were green
                        No. The foolish decision by PJ was to ignore Tolkien's plot. Tollers had the Army of the Dead released by Aragorn after they defeated the Corsairs and freed the men of South Gondor battling them so there would be a dramatic turning of the tide relief of Minas Tirith. The Army of the Dead are green in PJ's movie, not JRRT's book. As for Aragorn's relief of the Rohirrim (not like the silly movie bit with the green slime destroying all the bad guys instantly)

                        Stern now was Eomer's mood, and his mind was clear again. He let blow the horns to rally all men to his banner that could come thither; for he thought to make a great shield-wall at the last...
                        And then wonder took him, and a great joy, and he cast his sword up in the sunlight and sang as he caught it. And all eyes followed his gaze, and behold! upon the foremost ship a great standard broke, and the wind displayed it as she turned toward the Harlond. There flowered a white tree, and that was for Gondor; but seven stars were about it, and a high crown above it, the signs of Elendil that no lord had born for years beyond count....Thus came Aragorn son of Arathorn, Elassar, Isildur's heir, out of the Paths of the Dead, borne upon a wind from the Sea to the kingdom of Gondor; and the mirth of the Rohirrim was a torrent of laughter and a flashing of swords, and the joy and wonder of the City was a music of trumpets and a ringing of bells. But the hosts of Mordor were seized with bewilderment, and a great wizardry it seemed to them that their own ships should be filled with their foes; and a black dread fell on them, knowing that the tides of fate had turned against them and their doom was at hand.
                        ...now men leaped from the ships to the quays of the Harlond and swept north like a storm. There came Legolas, and Gimli wielding his axe, and Harbarad with the standard, and Elladan and Elrohir with stars on their brow,
                        and the dour-handed Dunedain, Rangers of the North, leading a great valour of the folk of Lebennin and Lamedon and the fiefs of the South.
                        Not PJ's absurdity of just the Three Walkers and the green slime.
                        Last edited by Tuor; 02 Jun 09, 12:34.

                        Comment


                        • The Star Trek series were supposed to be not so 'dark'. But people want dark & threatening with villains they know. What ST doesn't need is the perceived bald headed bad guy wearing black...sheeesh, that's getting old.

                          By going to new quadrants dealing with the Hirogen, Jem' Hadar, Vidiians or even the Kradin.

                          Comment


                          • This was the best movie I've seen so far this year. It was very funny, and the cast did an excellent job of capturing the essence of the original cast. Special props to Karl Urban, the actor that plays Dr. McCoy, he's spot on. I enjoyed hearing each character's catch phrase from the series, everyone in the audience had a good laugh.

                            The weak spot was the Romulan, Nero. I realize they needed a bad guy, but geez this was a lame story line.

                            I'll be seeing this again with Slug this weekend.
                            Love. Where does it come from?
                            from The Thin Red Line

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Dolley View Post
                              This was the best movie I've seen so far this year. It was very funny, and the cast did an excellent job of capturing the essence of the original cast. Special props to Karl Urban, the actor that plays Dr. McCoy, he's spot on. I enjoyed hearing each character's catch phrase from the series, everyone in the audience had a good laugh.

                              The weak spot was the Romulan, Nero. I realize they needed a bad guy, but geez this was a lame story line.

                              I'll be seeing this again with Slug this weekend.
                              Karl Urban also played Eomer in the Lord of the Rings films (the post above reminded me of that).

                              I just saw Star Trek yesterday with my son and thought it was great!
                              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

                              Homer


                              BoRG

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X