Star Trek, the movie [MAJOR SPOILERS]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
    Just got back from seeing it......highly enjoyed it. Is it the best Star Trek? Hard to say right now.

This is not a remake. It is a complete reboot. It's like one of those episodes where something gets changed & spawns an alternate universe-this is the alternate universe. Things that happened in the old universe are changed greatly-yet the core characters still come together & you enjoy the interaction.

I would be very curious to hear what the die hard "Trekkies" "Trekkors" or whatever think.

Uhura is HOT!
    I've noticed that in most reviews, many Trekkies are pleased with this movie for no reason other than it takes within an alternate universe. So that kind of thing wouldn't mess up the timeline in which all of original Star Trek shows and movies take place.

However, as for me, I'll reserve my judgement until I get an opportunity to watch this movie....

Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by kendrick View Post
      Has anyone seen the new film yet. The reviews I have in the British Press have been very good. Now I must admit I am Star Trek fan, from when it was first screened on British Television, however some of the recent films and the 'enterprise' series have been poor.

I want to take my two sons to see the new film but they think I am but a sad Star Trek nut and need to be convinced that it is a good movie.
      it is awesome. anyone who says otherwise is a neener.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
        This just in, I am seeing forum comments that are very encouraging.

One man reports the audience stood and clapped at the end of the film it was received so well.
        make that another as well. everyone stood and clapped at my showing as well.

Comment

[SPOILER!]

Excuse me?

It is time travel.

However, in Star Trek science each possible timeline continues, creating endless alternate realities.

What matters here is that the timeline that we will observe in future Star Trek movies and maybe TV series has been altered from what we have seen in previous material.

That is the whole point about this "reset of the universe". Paramount cannot hire writers who can write interesting stories that play in the same timeframe and are compatible with everything that has already been established as fact.

This movie resets everything from Kirk's birth on, and that means what the audience will see.

Comment

I saw it. I don't like all the characters being thrown together on their first mission. When I watched the original series, it seemed to me that there was a continuous change over in personnel. There was not much at all in the Next Generation. It would have seemed more realistic if they had shown them spread out a bit on different ships. The major flaw to me was Jim Kirk being presented as a high achiever. It was better presented in the 6o's when Spock had the high powered brains. I always pictured Kirk as a guy that had been around and worked his way up. Kirk was not even in the original pilot!

Once it gets past the pre-conceptions, it was not a bad movie.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
              [SPOILER!]

Excuse me?

It is time travel.

However, in Star Trek science each possible timeline continues, creating endless alternate realities.

What matters here is that the timeline that we will observe in future Star Trek movies and maybe TV series has been altered from what we have seen in previous material.

That is the whole point about this "reset of the universe". Paramount cannot hire writers who can write interesting stories that play in the same timeframe and are compatible with everything that has already been established as fact.

This movie resets everything from Kirk's birth on, and that means what the audience will see.
              Agreed, and this is one of reasons why many Trekkie fans will love this movie. That's why it's called a reboot of the Star Trek franchise.

However, there is one tiny problem: how does one reconcile the movie with Starfleet establishing a Temporal Command in 31st century with the responsibilities of making sure the timeline isn't contaminated?

Even so, I think I will like watching this movie, as I love all Star Trek shows (except the Original series) and movies (all of them), so the new movie will not bother me that much.

Nevertheless, if there is another Star Trek movie, I would love it to be about USS Titan, of which Riker is now its captain. According to the books, USS Titan's primary mission is exploratory, so it would make a lot of sense to make that kind of movie in order to set it apart from all other movies. It would introduce new characters, of which casual and non-Star Trek fans won't have to watch other movies or shows to learn all there is about the Star Trek universe.

Oh well....

Dan
              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Not being an ACTUAL Trekker (ie I don`t have an outfit, and have never been to a Con for instance) the comment made about Temporal Command went right over my head.

I`ve seen the entire series, seen all the movies, never read a single book though. Don`t recall Temporal command, but then that`s not hard, considering how many years the franchise covers.

But anyway, just because one sets up an organization to prevent something from happening, doesn`t mean it actually can.

And I continue to assert, time travel, and opening a portal to another dimension, don`t even need to have anything in common. Then again, please explain exactly how one goes back or forward in time What precisely happens when you go through a singularity.

When you have that all correctly explained, I have some arguments ready for you on the Tolkien world

It took me a few moments to realize, while watching the show, wait a moment, that didn`t seem right
                Life is change. Built models for decades.
                Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Saw it last night.

They only mention Klingons a few times, mostly in reference to them getting their asses kicked by the stupid Romulans.

I liked the movie, especially the inside jokes only long time trek fans would get. But I am having problems with the re-boot issue.

Can't find writers to continue a Star Trek time line? Please. Just pick it up where DS 9 and/or Voyager left off and use some of the bit characters introduced along the way. Even the Riker thing would be good.

I thought the Bones character well played, as I did the young Kirk. Uhura, eh, not so much. She looked good, but all that passion for Spock when everyone knows she really loved Scotty. Some things should be sacred.

Comment

I enjoyed the movie. The introduction of the main characters was well thought out and interesting. They did reference several of the classic episodes of the old TV show and one of the better movies (the wrath of Khan). Did anyone catch the BLACK/WHITE character in the audience at the end?

I'm sure there will be a sequel. Bring on the Klingons!
                    God Save The Republic.

Comment

All in all, I'm actually a bit glad some of the previous Trek films have been conveniently dumped. I want to say I have never NOT liked a trek movie, but, some of them have certainly not been near as good as others.
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

They got it right by splitting the timeline. If you are going to reboot a franchise, the last thing you want is fans constantly bitching because esoteric rules have been broken because 50 episodes/movies prior a character contradicted what just happened. I consider myself an enthusiast of Star Trek, but I once spent 4 hours on a bus through the jungle listening to a group of Trekkies arguing over just such minutia. The leader of this group claimed to have been a member of a Star Trek club but he split off and started his own club because they weren't serious enough. Blech.

With this new timeline in motion, the primary characters should all be there - but their actions will be guided by what happens in this timeline and not by what happens/happened in books/movies/comics/cartoons/episodes already written. I for one think it is time to cut some new ground.
                        Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                          I think it should be mentioned, as it seems there is some confusion.

There wasn't any 'time' travel so much as there was travel to other realities.

No one has gone back or forward in time in this film. I know, I watched it.

Great idea though to take the Star Trek franchise down the road they have.

Not sure they are actually planning to spin off more films from it though. But they left the door wide open.
                          That's the beauty of it!

Placing younger versions of Kirk & crew in a universe that is altered from the universe depicted in the original series. It allows a new "franchise" to remain familiar and loyal to the series, but unconstrained by the "history" of the original Star Trek and its following series and movies.

I was really worried that this was going to be a train wreck...A trashy, Starship Trooper-ized version of Star Trek...(The Verhoeven movie is fun to watch because of its trashiness...But it's not what I want in Star Trek) It was a little trashy (in a fun kind of way)...It has the effect of taking the classic series and "kicking it up a notch."
                          Last edited by The Doctor; 12 May 09, 10:30.
                          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

The ice creature thing chasing after Kirk and then getting eaten by another ice creature was a bit too Star Wars for me. Lucas did that so many times it didn't need to be repeated in Trek.

And then Spock's "Oh, gee, Kirk, you found me, here in the middle of this ice waste on this little ice ball out in the middle of the solar system lost in the grand universe, an ice creature just happens to chase you right to my little cave! Amazing!!"

Would have made more sense for Spock to have been left behind at the federation outpost.

But I guess I am nit-picking.

But Doc has a point. Maybe this time around we won't have to suffer through Kirk and Spock having to meet the space hippies.

Comment

I wonder if original-universe Spock tells alt-universe Spock that if they meet a guy named Khan to set phasers to KILL!
                              The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

And it gets interesting....

Again a bit of nit-picking....

Now that Vulcan is supposedly destroyed, six billion lives lost. How would that shape the influence of Federation in Alpha Quadrant? In the original timeline, Federation is considered one of the most powerful space-faring races in Alpha Quadrant. And Vulcan was one of key cornerstones of Federation in its early history. Losing Vulcan would wreck havoc Federation's ability to develop its technology and manpower in exploring or defending its space.

Maybe in that timeline, Dominion would have won the war against Federation....

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X