Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek, the movie [MAJOR SPOILERS]

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Star Trek, the movie [MAJOR SPOILERS]

    Has anyone seen the new film yet. The reviews I have in the British Press have been very good. Now I must admit I am Star Trek fan, from when it was first screened on British Television, however some of the recent films and the 'enterprise' series have been poor.

    I want to take my two sons to see the new film but they think I am but a sad Star Trek nut and need to be convinced that it is a good movie.
    War is less costly than servitude

  • #2
    What is your fascination wuth Fantasy Movies ?

    Those Fantasy movies are being written by writers with limited visions and horizons. The only benefit I can see for the Star Trek movies was in the 60's, when it broke racial and cultural barriers. By featuring people from diffrent ethnic backrounds, as the original Star Trek crew.

    Fantasy stories are born out of peoples imaginations, in short written by someone.
    History is being recorded by humankind, and is therefore much more complex and interesting. No single human being can imagine that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Konzev View Post
      Those Fantasy movies are being written by writers with limited visions and horizons. The only benefit I can see for the Star Trek movies was in the 60's, when it broke racial and cultural barriers. By featuring people from diffrent ethnic backrounds, as the original Star Trek crew.

      Fantasy stories are born out of peoples imaginations, in short written by someone.
      History is being recorded by humankind, and is therefore much more complex and interesting. No single human being can imagine that.
      Well Star Trek is part of my history, I watched it as a child and it opened my mind as to the possibility of other worlds and of human progress. Even a fantasy movie of limited vision and horizon, can open in the mind of viewer a far greater vision of what is possible. Star Trek over the years has done that to millions of people on this planet, it has made them think, which is never a bad thing.
      War is less costly than servitude

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm not a Trekkie but I'm gonna see it, looks like a good popcorn flick
        "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
        "

        Comment


        • #5
          I grew up with Star Trek too

          Originally posted by kendrick View Post
          Well Star Trek is part of my history, I watched it as a child and it opened my mind as to the possibility of other worlds and of human progress. Even a fantasy movie of limited vision and horizon, can open in the mind of viewer a far greater vision of what is possible. Star Trek over the years has done that to millions of people on this planet, it has made them think, which is never a bad thing.
          Nevertheless, 2001 and for that matter 2010 contained much more realism.
          The space travels of the Enterprise where pure fantasy and often of poor pretense.
          Also Mission to Mars and Discovery Channels "The Universe" would be much better educational tools.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Konzev View Post
            Nevertheless, 2001 and for that matter 2010 contained much more realism.
            The space travels of the Enterprise where pure fantasy and often of poor pretense.
            Also Mission to Mars and Discovery Channels "The Universe" would be much better educational tools.
            Yes, however it is because of programmes like Star Trek, that people want to watch educational programmes like 'The Universe'.

            I should add that I loved the film 2001 and recently read the book by Arthur C. Clark, which an excellent read.
            War is less costly than servitude

            Comment


            • #7
              Some of the Star Trek movies were good. I particularly liked the
              Whale one (directed by Leonard Nimoy) with its humor and
              ecological themes. I have doubts about these "origin" movies
              (like Batman) but the movie has gotten some good recs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tuor View Post
                Some of the Star Trek movies were good. I particularly liked the
                Whale one (directed by Leonard Nimoy) with its humor and
                ecological themes. I have doubts about these "origin" movies
                (like Batman) but the movie has gotten some good recs.
                I am disappointed that it is an origin story. IMHO,the franchise needs a reboot. The movie is basically a sequel to Nemesis,which is not deserving of one.
                If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tuor View Post
                  Some of the Star Trek movies were good. I particularly liked the
                  Whale one (directed by Leonard Nimoy) with its humor and
                  ecological themes. I have doubts about these "origin" movies
                  (like Batman) but the movie has gotten some good recs.
                  Oh, yeah...the "transparent aluminum" bit...hilarious. Personally, I thought this one was one of the more far-fetched.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I actually really liked the first one. Thought the second was cheesy, and the third well hard to say. Liked the 4th, then the series wandered off I think a bit.

                    The 'god' one I didn't care much for. The last ones hmm pretty much like the recent Bond movies, just none of what made the show great were around any more.

                    No I am not a Shatner fan, I like him, but not a fan.
                    But I was never really devoted to the new stuff.
                    I actually liked the Enterprise series. It's the only series I have on dvd.

                    I`m really hoping the new film coming up is good.
                    Life is change. Built models for decades.
                    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                    I didn't for a long time either.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'll probably see it eventually just for shucks and grins, but I won't pay theater prices for it.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've already been instructed by the one 'who must be obeyed', otherwise known as the wife, that we will be going to see it.

                        She's a hard taskmaster at times

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Critic's review

                          I found this critic's review very insightful.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Priceless hehe thanks Gorque, have some rep on me
                            Life is change. Built models for decades.
                            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                            I didn't for a long time either.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by redcoat View Post
                              I've already been instructed by the one 'who must be obeyed', otherwise known as the wife, that we will be going to see it.

                              She's a hard taskmaster at times
                              Hey I have one of those too....she who must be obeyed...and what do you know, she has also informed me that we will be seeing this movie. I wonder if they are plotting something here???

                              PSST! Don't let mine know but I wanted to see this myself so it's not like its going to hurt, at least not like that last chick flick see dragged me to that I fell asleep during.
                              Bill

                              "God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

                              Billy Currington

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X