Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patton 360 on the History Channel

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    There was a documentary on awhile back that dealt with the discovery of two Japanese subs that had been sunk off Hawaii as target ships postwar. These were submarine aircraft carriers designed to bomb the Panama Canal, and two of the aviators were interviewed. Very interesting program, especially when they showed video footage of the submerged wrecks.

    -Matt
    SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

    Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

    Comment


    • #17
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Pyle's Heroes
      I agree Konzev, some Japanese participants would have been an invaluable thing. If they had found some Germans who fought against Patton and his boys for this current 360, that'd be nice too. I doubt it will happen, but it'd be nice.

      There weren't very many Japanese Naval Aviators that survived the war, let alone the last 65 years (for the Enterprise 360). There are definately some German vets still alive so I to hope they might be included..............
      I seen loads of German vets talking about there war experinces on fighting allied forces during WWII;
      There are many of them.

      But you are right; we never really see any Japanese vets talking about WWII,maybe cause The Japanese is not so into History like we are?

      Comment


      • #18
        Most Japanese veterans aren't willing to talk about the war because they are still (in their eyes) living down the humiliation of surrender.

        -Matt
        SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

        Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Heidi View Post
          I seen loads of German vets talking about there war experinces on fighting allied forces during WWII;
          There are many of them.

          But you are right; we never really see any Japanese vets talking about WWII,maybe cause The Japanese is not so into History like we are?
          Well, considering that most of the personnel stationed on the islands invaded by the Americans were nearly wiped out and their Navy and Air arm were devastated, its hard to get a Japanese veterans' account.

          Letters from Iwo Jima comes closest and thats all from written accounts.

          Comment


          • #20
            ^ Germany suffered the same fate,still got English speaking allies and allied bases in Germany and Germany is forbidding to ever have a large military but Most German vets still speak out just as much as Allied vets do.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Heidi View Post
              ^ Germany suffered the same fate,still got English speaking allies and allied bases in Germany and Germany is forbidding to ever have a large military but Most German vets still speak out just as much as Allied vets do.
              What you just stated had nothing to do with the point he made. His point was that the Japanese fought to the last man in most cases or committed suicide. The % of Japanese veterans of the major battles in the PTO is minuscule compared to the % of German veterans of the major ETO battles. So no, Germany did not suffer the same fate in the regard of his statement.
              Кто там?
              Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
              Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                What you just stated had nothing to do with the point he made. His point was that the Japanese fought to the last man in most cases or committed suicide. The % of Japanese veterans of the major battles in the PTO is minuscule compared to the % of German veterans of the major ETO battles. So no, Germany did not suffer the same fate in the regard of his statement.
                Bingo.

                Your certainly not going to get those veterans who hid on the islands until the 1970's to speak out.

                Certainly cultural differences between European and Asian feelings towards speaking about their experiences factors in as well.

                There was that one Dogfights episode that had the one Japanese kamakaze pilot. He was an exception.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
                  This is now airing on Military History in the UK and is on my DVR.

                  Very interesting. I've not really studied Patton in any real depth (I've only seen the movie), so this is a good introduction.

                  The first episode included a line about the Kasbah raid (I don't know if this was in the US version) where the narrator says that Patton sent Navy bombers to "rock the Kasbah"...

                  The series has just finished here in Laos. I don't want to spoil it for you so I'll put something under a spoiler tag.




                  Philip
                  "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

                  Comment

                  Latest Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X