Patton 360 on the History Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patton 360 on the History Channel

I know the History Channel has been taking a beating lately in the forums (ie, Ax Men and Iceroad Truckers, etc.), but last night the second season of their battle 360 series premiered with General Patton as the link.

I thought it was well done, especially the tank battles depicted. I was mostly unaware of the tank battle that took place north of Casablanca between French R35s and American Stuart M5's where the out numbered Americans were save by accurate supporting fire from a light cruiser.

Also the USS Dallas running the gauntlet past the Kasbah fort on the Sebou River to land an assault force at the Port Lyautey airfield was very impressive.

I'm greatly anticipating future segments against the Afrika Korps that they gave a brief preview of.
    Last edited by Lance Williams; 11 Apr 09, 16:27.
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

I was also impressed by last night's episode. Especially since some of the men interviewed were former members of the 9th Division, 60th Infantry Regiment's "Go Devils." My grandfather fought with the 60th, but in France, not North Africa. It was great to hear their stories, and the stories of the navy and armor vets too.

I too enjoyed hearing about the tank battle north of Casablanca. And the USS Dallas rollin' past the fort like that was very impressive! I think this will be as good as the first Battle 360 was about the USS Enterprise.

Comment

I haven't been able to catch Patton 360 but it looked good from the previews and commercials and such.
      “Come and take it!"

Comment

I have the whole series set to be recorded, got through some of it yesterday before company came over. Looks pretty good
        "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

We really enjoyed it. I'm glad the History Channel is getting back to actual history. I always love the detailed graphics that depict the tactics.
          TTFN

Comment

A well done show. I have it set to record every new episode. Finally the History Channel seems to be going back to actual history.
            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

I guess I am the first negative.

I watched the show and give it an 'ok for History Channel', but not up to my standards rating.

I guess when you have every classic documentary show ever made (I've lost count of how many ways I can view Patton's life), a little CGI is not going to magically make a difference as compared to a better narrative and actual footage.

I didn't mind Enterprise 360, maybe naval actions are different for me.

But one thing I can't stand, is the 3 minute recap after every commercial break as if I had no capacity to remember what I had just watched 5 minutes ago. A show shouldn't be 30% redundant content.

The interviews were likely the only material worth squat in the final analysis.
              Everything else is fairly bland.
              Anyone that cares can find better.
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

DVD Set

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                I guess I am the first negative.

I watched the show and give it an 'ok for History Channel', but not up to my standards rating.

I guess when you have every classic documentary show ever made (I've lost count of how many ways I can view Patton's life), a little CGI is not going to magically make a difference as compared to a better narrative and actual footage.

I didn't mind Enterprise 360, maybe naval actions are different for me.

But one thing I can't stand, is the 3 minute recap after every commercial break as if I had no capacity to remember what I had just watched 5 minutes ago. A show shouldn't be 30% redundant content.
                The interviews were likely the only material worth squat in the final analysis.
                Everything else is fairly bland.
                Anyone that cares can find better.

I guess we have to wait for the DVD Set.
                I allready bought the 360 Enterprise serious.
                A must see for history buffs.
                The only complaint: Not enough japanese participants have been added to the interviews. That would have made it more authentic.
                I hate to have my valuable time stolen by commercials.
                I could tolerate commercials, when I still used an Antenna, but now I have to dish out serious money, to sit through them
                And the redundent scenes are not neccessary are cut out.

Comment

Originally posted by Konzev View Post
                  I guess we have to wait for the DVD Set.
                  I allready bought the 360 Enterprise serious.
                  A must see for history buffs.
                  The only complaint: Not enough japanese participants have been added to the interviews. That would have made it more authentic.
                  I hate to have my valuable time stolen by commercials.
                  I could tolerate commercials, when I still used an Antenna, but now I have to dish out serious money, to sit through them
                  And the redundent scenes are not neccessary are cut out.
                  I agree Konzev, some Japanese participants would have been an invaluable thing. If they had found some Germans who fought against Patton and his boys for this current 360, that'd be nice too. I doubt it will happen, but it'd be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                    I know the History Channel has been taking a beating lately in the forums (ie, Ax Men and Iceroad Truckers, etc.), but last night the second season of their battle 360 series premiered with General Patton as the link.

I thought it was well done, especially the tank battles depicted. I was mostly unaware of the tank battle that took place north of Casablanca between French R35s and American Stuart M5's where the out numbered Americans were save by accurate supporting fire from a light cruiser.

Also the USS Dallas running the gauntlet past the Kasbah fort on the Sebou River to land an assault force at the Port Lyautey airfield was very impressive.

I'm greatly anticipating future segments against the Afrika Korps that they gave a brief preview of.
                    dont wtach em much prefer PBS but their both liberal as is their forums but in this case...twernt bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyle's Heroes View Post
                      I agree Konzev, some Japanese participants would have been an invaluable thing. If they had found some Germans who fought against Patton and his boys for this current 360, that'd be nice too. I doubt it will happen, but it'd be nice.
                      There weren't very many Japanese Naval Aviators that survived the war, let alone the last 65 years (for the Enterprise 360). There are definately some German vets still alive so I to hope they might be included..............
                      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Against my better judgement, I have continued to watch the series.

You know, you can't fault the veterans comments, they were there and I wasn't.

But damn it, some of the commentary made by some of the non veterans is just so often so full of ****, or just plain stupid sounding.

Too much of the show is ok visually, but likely best watched muted unless it's a veteran talking.

If any of the commentary of the non vets had been made here on the forum they'd have gotten verbally ripped apart.

Comment

I've just seen part of the first episode on U-Tube.

It came across as history for the video game generation, lots of pretty CGI, very little in the way of hard facts.

Comment

My main beef wasn't really the visual presentation, most of that was good enough to sit through the banter.

But some of the banter was simply a little too forced a little to Patton glorifying. I mean yes, the man was a very famous person, but, he wasn't the greatest US general of the war believe it or not.

I personally think Ike would have been more appropriate (considering he had to put up with Patton and Monty).

Comment

This is now airing on Military History in the UK and is on my DVR.

Very interesting. I've not really studied Patton in any real depth (I've only seen the movie), so this is a good introduction.

The first episode included a line about the Kasbah raid (I don't know if this was in the US version) where the narrator says that Patton sent Navy bombers to "rock the Kasbah"...

Silent Hunter UK
                              Member of Phoenix Roleplaying

Personal Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X