Twilight Zone + Night Gallery + Binghampton + WWII Paratrooper=

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twilight Zone + Night Gallery + Binghampton + WWII Paratrooper=

Rod Serling is arguably Binghamton's most famous son. Rodman Edward Serling was born on Christmas Day, 1924, in Syracuse, New York ("a Christmas present that was delivered unwrapped," as he would later say). Although he was not born in Binghamton, and lived in a number of cities in later life, he always remembered Binghamton as his home town. From 1926 to 1944, his family lived on the West Side at 67 Bennett Avenue, and later moved to an apartment on Chapin Street. Rod attended Hamilton Elementary Grade School, West Junior High School, and Binghamton Central High School (where he was the editor of Panorama, the schoolnewspaper).

He joined the armed forces during World War II on the day he graduated from high school in 1942. During basic training, he earned extra money by boxing, winning seventeen matches. During active duty, he served as a paratrooper in the Pacific, surviving 40 jumps. In the Army, serving with the demolition platoon of the 511th Paratrooper Infantry Regiment in the Pacific.

After the war, he attended Antioch College, married his wife, Carolyn, in 1946, and worked as a staff writer for radio station WINR in Binghamton, and later WLW in Cincinnati, Ohio. Writing scripts for plays on his own time, he became successful enough to move to Westport, Connecticut, in 1954, making a living solely on his writing ability.

Another paratrooper in the spotlight.
    17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Kind of old news. What's your point?

Comment

Originally posted by 17thAirborneSon View Post
      Rod Serling is arguably Binghamton's most famous son. Rodman Edward Serling was born on Christmas Day, 1924, in Syracuse, New York ("a Christmas present that was delivered unwrapped," as he would later say). Although he was not born in Binghamton, and lived in a number of cities in later life, he always remembered Binghamton as his home town. From 1926 to 1944, his family lived on the West Side at 67 Bennett Avenue, and later moved to an apartment on Chapin Street. Rod attended Hamilton Elementary Grade School, West Junior High School, and Binghamton Central High School (where he was the editor of Panorama, the schoolnewspaper).

He joined the armed forces during World War II on the day he graduated from high school in 1942. During basic training, he earned extra money by boxing, winning seventeen matches. During active duty, he served as a paratrooper in the Pacific, surviving 40 jumps. In the Army, serving with the demolition platoon of the 511th Paratrooper Infantry Regiment in the Pacific.

After the war, he attended Antioch College, married his wife, Carolyn, in 1946, and worked as a staff writer for radio station WINR in Binghamton, and later WLW in Cincinnati, Ohio. Writing scripts for plays on his own time, he became successful enough to move to Westport, Connecticut, in 1954, making a living solely on his writing ability.

Another paratrooper in the spotlight.
      Good post, 17uthAS.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

How is Serling "in the spotlight", I mean he's been dead for 34 years.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhbuckeye View Post
          Right now, forum members are arguing about Hitler, and he's been dead longer than that. Not too long ago, we were arguing about Jesus, who supposedly died over two thousand years ago.

This is a history forum...
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Right now, forum members are arguing about Hitler, and he's been dead longer than that. Not too long ago, we were arguing about Jesus, who supposedly died over two thousand years ago.

This is a history forum...
            Sure, but no one is arguing about Serling. Someone puts up biographical info about the guy and out of nowhere says he "in the spotlight". What's the point?

Comment

Sure, but no one is arguing about Serling. Someone puts up biographical info about the guy and out of nowhere says he "in the spotlight". What's the point?
              Hello mj,
              How are you?
              Pleased to meet you.
              17th likes people who jump out of airplanes.
              I didn't know those things about Rod Serling.
              I liked Rod Serling.

"Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Neat post 17thAirborneSon

And I believe he was only put in the spotlight, because 17thAirborneSon shown the light on him. But hey, it was a nice post. I knew he was dead, never knew he liked to jump out of perfectly good airplanes though
                Life is change. Built models for decades.
                Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
                  Hello mj,
                  How are you?
                  Pleased to meet you.
                  17th likes people who jump out of airplanes.
                  I didn't know those things about Rod Serling.
                  I liked Rod Serling.

As did I. In fact I think Twilight Zone was the best show ever broadcast on American TV, and Serling a certified genius. The facts of his too-short life are pretty well known, but apparently some folks just now learned he was a paratrooper in the WW2 Pacific theater. So congrats, I guess, on passsing along the info.

Comment

Sorry, I was utilizing the as well as clause in the thread title rather
                    loosely!
                    Thought it might be interesting due to what just happened
                    in his "hometown". And, the fact that he was an accomplished soldier
                    to boot!
                    17thAirborneSon

Comment

Hey, your talking about him now, Too! He MUST be in the Spotlight now. BTY, Disney's
                      Tower of Terror what a freefall experience. you can haveKinda a Twilight Zone experience today
                      mjhbuckeye!
                      17thAirborneSon

Comment

Working...
                      X