No announcement yet.

Watchmen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw the movie yesterday. I had no previous familiarity with the Watchmen. I guess I kinda expected it to be similar to the Watcher comics done by Marvel. Boy, was I wrong!

I also purposely avoided reading or watching anything about the film. I wanted it to be a wholly new experience.

So, a non-prejudiced review...

Interesting film. More violent than I had any reason to expect a super hero film to be. But it played out alright. Almost believable. But the idea that these "Super Heroes" had no powers was a little bit ridiculous. The Top Knot Gang fight was way too much. The gang would have messed up any 2 real people, I don't care about a level of training or expertise. And the ninja stiff with the Rorschach character was over the top.

That being said, he was my favorite. And the actor that played him did the best craft-work of any in the film. His end scene made the film almost worth it. Almost.

Overall, I don't think I ever watched a comic film that made me feel so juvenile for watching it! The nostalgia of Batman, Superman, Spiderman, et al. was absent because of the heretofore mentioned ignorance of said subject. But I don't think it would have mattered. The story attempted to play with various philosophic ideas, namely Locke, Nietzsche, and Rand. But never fully explored the ideals. And any and every time the plot appeared to be taking a stand, it would immediately back off.

I will be interested to see the Director's cut for this film. Maybe another 1/2 hour or so would tie the story together better. But I hold little hope.

Overall, an enjoyable afternoon at the movies. Certainly got my money's worth. Matinée price for an almost 3 hour film.

I will give it a 70/100 score.
    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
    _________
    BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post

Almost believable.
      The whole point, and for me, the appeal of the story. The Doc is my least my favorite character, as he is the most unreal character.

The Top Knot Gang fight was way too much. The gang would have messed up any 2 real people, I don't care about a level of training or expertise.
      That's right, that's why in the book the fight scene with them vs. Nite Owl & Silk Spectre is much smaller scale.

And the ninja stiff with the Rorschach character was over the top.
      I will be building a neon sign with those words...

His end scene made the film almost worth it. Almost.
      The guy was good, but not great. Too bad.

I will be interested to see the Director's cut for this film. Maybe another 1/2 hour or so would tie the story together better. But I hold little hope.
      My formula; remove 2 ninja fight scenes not in the book, add the 17 minutes to make 3 hours even, that is 30 minutes of material that makes the difference between 3 1/2 and 4 stars.

Overall, an enjoyable afternoon at the movies. Certainly got my money's worth. Matinée price for an almost 3 hour film.
      No doubt. Almost 20 years in the waiting, and few complaints.
      "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

And the ninja stiff with the Rorschach character was over the top.
        Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
        I will be building a neon sign with those words...
        Oops. I can't believe I did that.

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
        _________
        BoRG

Comment

Oops. I can't believe I did that.

Stiff..., even I missed it..., the Copy Editor is fired...
          "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Just saw it. Loved it!!
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I was familiar with the cover, but had never read one line from the graphic novels. I know not reading the series might have hurt me, but that didn't stop me from coming away thinking this is the second worst movie I've ever seen. More than once my legs twitched to get up and leave. It was awful.

Comment

Originally posted by TJAdams View Post
                I was familiar with the cover, but had never read one line from the graphic novels. I know not reading the series might have hurt me, but that didn't stop me from coming away thinking this is the second worst movie I've ever seen. More than once my legs twitched to get up and leave. It was awful.
                Series? What the hell are you talking about.

The single graphic novel is an award-winning piece. Not reading has hurt you.

Find the book. But, without the supplemental 37 minutes of the Minutemen, the movie is less than acceptable.

On the other hand, I waited more than 15 years for the movie, so I was just glad that they finally did it. It was still closer to the story than any other comic-turned-movie that I've seen.

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                  Series? What the hell are you talking about.

The single graphic novel is an award-winning piece. Not reading has hurt you.

Find the book. But, without the supplemental 37 minutes of the Minutemen, the movie is less than acceptable.
                  I'm referring to the twelve issue series of comic books from Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons & John Higgins. DC Comics ran the series during 1986-87.

Comment

I read this in an '89 issue of Fangoria

Originally posted by TJAdams View Post

I'm referring to the twelve issue series of comic books from Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons & John Higgins. DC Comics ran the series during 1986-87.
                    The "series" was the novel, cut into 12 issues. No changes. He had trouble releasing it as one work to start with, but it caught on eventually.

He never intended a series, according to the interview I read...
                    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 16 May 09, 22:22.

BoRG

Comment

Not a problem at all.

Comment

I've read both versions.
                        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Excellent film. As another viewpoint of the story, told in the graphic novel, the film works very well and hits most of the targets squarely and stylishly. The main questions about power, the desire for it and the reasons for using it are asked.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X