Watchmen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watchmen?

I just saw the movie. What did you people think of it? I am still cringing over full male frontal view. They should have at least balanced it with some female full frontal...

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Usually it's the other way around. Score one for the XX audience.

Comment

My buddy told me about it.

Crash and burn, total case of false advertising. This is NOT a superhero comic film if you think it was.

And yeah, 2 hours of a guys blue weiner, hmm you ain't going to go far with guys and that. It's a known fact, that in film, even during a sex scene, keep the guys gear hidden, men don't like looking at men's gear.
      Might be unfair to the ladies, but most ladies are into buns so I am told. Likely explains why in film you get to see some well shaped male butts for the ladies to enjoy to counter all the bouncy breasts we guys get to see.

Back to the rest of the film, well no bad guys will bother anyone (like me) that never read the literature. And I am told the action doesn't earn the term much.

So there you have it, make SURE you know what this film is about and if YOU really want to see it. A second friend that is going tomorrow totally scoffed at the other friend's review. But then again, the two think the other is incapable of ever being right on anything
      I was set to go see it with two friends, now, I'm saving my money instead.

I am not a candidate for the content it appears.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I think this is a movie more for the graphic novel fan boy than the general public
        "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
        "

Comment

Originally posted by ace View Post
          I think this is a movie more for the graphic novel fan boy than the general public
          Yep and as such, if it doesn't do any better than the film Dune it will be no major surprise.

Comment

Without having seen it, I think the most disappointed will be the biggest fans of the graphic novel. For those who have not read it, one of the most appealing, and certainly the original aspect of the novel was the writers ability to put the story together from so many angles. Part of the story is revealed through reading a comic books over a young man's shoulder, part of it is a page from one of the costume hero's biographies. Part is a look at a scrapbook, or a newspaper clipping. All of that can be put into written form and make sense. You can't convey that on video and have it make any sense at all. Like "Dune", it would take a handout sheet explaining, "at 23 min, 10 seconds into the story, you are reading a pirate comic story over the shoulder of a young man". Can't be done. Pobably watch it at some point just to say, "when you strip away all the cool things you can do on paper, it comes out pretty average on video."
            "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Comment

Originally posted by F4UCorsair View Post
              Without having seen it, I think the most disappointed will be the biggest fans of the graphic novel. For those who have not read it, one of the most appealing, and certainly the original aspect of the novel was the writers ability to put the story together from so many angles. Part of the story is revealed through reading a comic books over a young man's shoulder, part of it is a page from one of the costume hero's biographies. Part is a look at a scrapbook, or a newspaper clipping. All of that can be put into written form and make sense. You can't convey that on video and have it make any sense at all. Like "Dune", it would take a handout sheet explaining, "at 23 min, 10 seconds into the story, you are reading a pirate comic story over the shoulder of a young man". Can't be done. Pobably watch it at some point just to say, "when you strip away all the cool things you can do on paper, it comes out pretty average on video."
              I agree those parts of the graphic novel where some of the best that you can't do on screen
              "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
              "

Comment

And I think the lesson here is, some times a great novel can't be a great film.

But it has never been any trouble for film directors convinced of their own greatness, to presume they are the equal of the author of the book.

Being a great film director, doesn't automatically make you any good as an author or able to recreate on film what was made for paper.

Comment

I just saw it.

I've owned the book for more than 15 years, and it's the ONLY graphic novel I own.

I'm giving 3 out 4 stars. No movie can capture a book, and this book has a LOT to capture. Some stuff was trimmed for focus no doubt, some stuff was also trimmed no doubt for time (to bad, I would have watched more).

Also, the mixing in of high-flying martial arts nonsense let me down, but for the new movie audience I guess it's standard.

Some character traits were overlooked, and some major plot elements were left out. However, it's maybe the best comic-to-movie transfer I've seen so far.

I wanted to say 3 and 1/2 stars, but that's just not true. 3 stars, but still a solid movie, worthy of being seen by people both familiar with the novel and otherwise.

I've been waiting for this movie since I saw an article about making it the first time in the early 90s. I'm pleased, but overly excited.
                  "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

That's really a letdown. I was hoping it ,might be something to break up a long, dry spell, but obviously not.

And certainly not if it features an actor named "one-eyed Johnson".
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by F4UCorsair View Post

Part is a look at a scrapbook, or a newspaper clipping.
                      It's neither. It's a "dummy sheet," also called a "proof." It's a pre-production mock-up of the real newspaper.

They left out most of the stuff about the newspaper from the book. Kind of a bummer, but understandable. Too bad though, they could've played up the right-wing vs. left-wing elements of the story alot more.
                      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Loved the graphic novel.

I have the book, haven't seen the movie yet. After the reviews I've seen here I'll wait till its streaming....
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

I have the book, haven't seen the movie yet. After the reviews I've seen here I'll wait till its streaming....
                          The reviews I've read were obviously written by people who did not understand the film, or did not read the book, or both.

Be your own judge, taking other people's word for it is lazy.

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                            The reviews I've read were obviously written by people who did not understand the film, or did not read the book, or both.

Be your own judge, taking other people's word for it is lazy.
                            I noticed that too
                            "

Comment

Originally posted by ace View Post

I noticed that too
                              I've seen alot of complaints about it not being a super-hero movie like Spider Man or X-Men or The Hulk or that kinda garbage.

I saw a half dozen people walk out during the film, people who I guess didn't get what they wanted.

Two old people walked out during the Nite Owl/Silk Spectre love scene. I guess they were expecting something more like the Fantastic Four.

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X