Mishap at St. Anna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob,

Any time you take a really thick book and make it into a two hour movie, not counting the fact that its a Spike Lee, there are always plot problems.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

You all think this movie sucks? No way!

It's a GREAT flick!

Why would I say that? Easy...it's a Spike Lee film!

Just kidding....

Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

A Spike Lee Joint

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post

Actually, I believe it's a "Spike Lee Joint."

Isn't that what the credits always say?
        "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          Bob,

Any time you take a really thick book and make it into a two hour movie, not counting the fact that its a Spike Lee, there are always plot problems.

Pruitt
          Oh, that explains alot. I hadn't realized it was a book. Another case of the book being far better than the movie then? You don't have to answer, a book 99 out of 100 times is better than the movie.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Bob,

I have not read the book, but I looked it up on the net and got enough out of the reviews to see major parts of the plot are missing in the movie.

rpruitt1997

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
              You all think this movie sucks? No way!

It's a GREAT flick!

Just kidding....

Dan
              You better be kidding!
              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

hmm, just watched it and rather liked it. Although the movie and the book its based on are fiction, there are a lot of factual events portrayed in the movie. I've read accounts about how German POWs in this country were often treated better than black American soldiers. And that black American soldiers felt a new found sense of freedom and equality while serving in Europe that they didn't feel in their own home country of America, true of WW2 as well as WW1. I think this movie did a good job of protraying how African Americans were treated during WW2.

And I also liked the story.

Der Eiserne Adler

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bäumer View Post
                  hmm, just watched it and rather liked it. Although the movie and the book its based on are fiction, there are a lot of factual events portrayed in the movie. I've read accounts about how German POWs in this country were often treated better than black American soldiers. And that black American soldiers felt a new found sense of freedom and equality while serving in Europe that they didn't feel in their own home country of America, true of WW2 as well as WW1. I think this movie did a good job of protraying how African Americans were treated during WW2.

And I also liked the story.

Don't get too excited. what you saw was merely bad fiction and a lot of very over-worked racial stereotypes. Nothing but Spike Lee ranting about Whitey.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Slightly off topic,but amusing nonetheless.Once,many,many years ago,when I was still a young'un I was driving down the highway in my hometown of Clifton NJ.The speed limit was 55.I'm in the left lane in my beat up 87 Celebrity.I come up on a Lotus Esprit Turbo with NY plates doing 35 in the left lane.The seat back was taller than the driver,so it was obviously being driven by a midget.When I get the opportunity,I pass this clown on the right and look over.To my astonishment,that clown was Spike Lee.I AM NOT kidding,it really was Spike Lee!So I did what I had to do.Which was to cut him off and brake check him.Unfortunately,he didn't drive into the divider.It's bad enough that little bastard bombards us with horrible movies,designed to cause racial discord,but now you block up my highway and slow me down?Take that!!!
                    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Don't get too excited. what you saw was merely bad fiction and a lot of very over-worked racial stereotypes. Nothing but Spike Lee ranting about Whitey.
                      Bad fiction? Maybe. But I don't think the racial stereotypes were 'over-worked', at least from what I've read in Ambrose's Citizen Soldier. I'm thinking people's bias against Lee cause them to overlook how good this movie is. Had this movie been directed by anyone else (though identical) it would have been better received.
                      Der Eiserne Adler

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bäumer View Post
                        Bad fiction? Maybe. But I don't think the racial stereotypes were 'over-worked', at least from what I've read in Ambrose's Citizen Soldier. I'm thinking people's bias against Lee cause them to overlook how good this movie is. Had this movie been directed by anyone else (though identical) it would have been better received.
                        The movie was racist crap, right down to the Good White German Officer versus the Bad White American Officer. He even included the Italian Typical Town **** and the Typical Black Stud. Typical Spike Lee playing to the typical black film audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          The movie was racist crap, right down to the Good White German Officer versus the Bad White American Officer. He even included the Italian Typical Town **** and the Typical Black Stud. Typical Spike Lee playing to the typical black film audience.
                          Actually it surprises me that black people themselves didn't find the movie offensive for that very reason. And he portrays the black soldiers with the mentality of many activists today, not to mention that disgraceful first battle scene with one soldier just about to wet himself from terror. Black soldiers in WWII weren't modern entitlement minded sissies. Those guys were rock solid tough and fierce adversaries. They were hand picked to be the best of the best and they were out to prove something so you didn't see the complaint-prone personalities you see in the movie.

And I still roll my eyes at the fat soldier wheezing his way through the film. If you're going to make a WWII film put your guys through some kind of training so they at least look like they belong in the field.
                          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

I saw two different types of White Officers, the good one in the next Company (advancing WITH his soldiers) and the Bad Racist one who was as far back from the shooting as possible. When the 92nd went into Combat for the first time, they had some bad officers and some guys that rabbited. The catch is so did some "White" Divisions. Once you got rid of the bad ones, the divisions usually settled down. I think higher command was a little TOO sensitive about the Black units and were prone to blame any problems on the Black personnel. If they had blamed the officers they would have been indicting their own system.

Pruitt

Comment

None of which was germane to Lee's film, allegedly about the actual events at Santa Anna.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X