Band Of Brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band Of Brothers

I know what Im gonna say here may offend some of y'all. But Band of Brothers thread is old and tiredsome. Y'all have killed it beyond all repair. Its a good movie yes, but talking about it, non stop is over kill. If there is a precedent of awarding Major Winters a MOH, then so be, the proper authorities will take care of it. Also y'all worship him like he is a God. He is just a human being that in times of war, stepped up and tried to do the right thing to save his men. This is just my humble opnion.
    Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Perhaps you should read my reply to the most current MOH thread.

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RStory
      Perhaps you should read my reply to the most current MOH thread.

Cheers!

Good one, Rstory. The Same here. :thumb:
      VonMoltke

Comment

Or mine.
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

lodestar on BoB / SPR and BRO

Originally posted by Saint Jeremy View Post
          I know what Im gonna say here may offend some of y'all. But Band of Brothers thread is old and tiredsome. Y'all have killed it beyond all repair. Its a good movie yes, but talking about it, non stop is over kill. If there is a precedent of awarding Major Winters a MOH, then so be, the proper authorities will take care of it. Also y'all worship him like he is a God. He is just a human being that in times of war, stepped up and tried to do the right thing to save his men. This is just my humble opnion.
          Anyone remember what this was all about back in 2004?

IMO ('In My Opinion' - is that right? - still don't 'get' the Net all that well I'm afraid) the old Sam Fuller film 'The Big Red One' (1980) with Lee Marvin (great actor I agree Lance Williams) and Mark Hamill was superior on all levels to the much touted BoB and Saving Private Ryan.

All agree? (please say yes, I'm not comfortable with expressions of opinion that contradict mine.... it offends my sense of inherent superiority).

One must cross the threshold of greatness. Then and only then can one comprehend the true nature of the one called lodestar - for many the quest to cross that threshold becomes their life’s work.”
          Regards lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
            Anyone remember what this was all about back in 2004?

IMO ('In My Opinion' - is that right? - still don't 'get' the Net all that well I'm afraid) the old Sam Fuller film 'The Big Red One' (1980) with Lee Marvin (great actor I agree Lance Williams) and Mark Hamill was superior on all levels to the much touted BoB and Saving Private Ryan.

All agree? (please say yes, I'm not comfortable with expressions of opinion that contradict mine.... it offends my sense of inherent superiority).

One must cross the threshold of greatness. Then and only then can one comprehend the true nature of the one called lodestar - for many the quest to cross that threshold becomes their life’s work.”
            Regards lodestar
            Attached Files
            Proud to be an American Veteran

Comment

A thread of four posts from 2004.

Even for Lodestar, this is lame.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I look at all movies and Televsion shows as entertainment.
                the enetertainment may be loosely or tightly based on historical events, but it is entertainment first and foremost.

take it as such and you will be much happier

in most cases history is ruined by historians..
                Human beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.

Comment

lodestar's quest, his greatness? his stupefying silliness?

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  A thread of four posts from 2004.

Even for Lodestar, this is lame.
                  Lame!! Lame!!**%%$%????
                  (trembling with incandescent rage) NOTHING, I repeat (screeching) NOTHING lodestar posts is lame! NOTHING!
                  It just varies in degrees of cogent and inherent magnificence.

Agreed? Agreed!

Seriously though, I stated my intention at the start of this little project as:

”Some time ago I declared my intention (with my usual self-inflated, pompous sense of importance - I truly, truly love every aspect of myself) to review all threads on this forum (all 6,795 of them).
                  I got started a but stopped after a couple of threads coz I had other things to do (for example counting the number of 4B pencils I have in my pencil jar or maybe watching my taped 1988 episodes of ‘The Bold and the Beautiful’ - it mattered to me so I did it. Way of lodestar and all that).

But now I’m retired I find I’m reinvigorated and in a position to slowly re-embark on my quest. I might do about two threads per week - so that's about 65 years’ worth of lodestar edicts! What a treat you’re all in for!

My stated intent is two-fold:

. To provide, either new insights and or perspectives on the threads in question, thereby opening the entire matter up for discussion again.

. Alternately to provide definitive conclusion(s) on the threads in question.

I realise that some threads are ‘closed’ but I’m sure the moderator will see the wisdom of re-opening them after he realises I’m preparing to comment on them.

Still other threads may appear to have been ‘done to death’ but I’m positive all will be waiting for my contribution- as the young people say today: just think of each post I make as a learning experience or a chance to explore ‘options’.”

Now some reviews have elicited little response but others have generated much additional discussion.
                  For example the one on: “Germany’s greatest mistake in WWII’ had just 28 posts in ’04 and now has 362.
                  ‘Why didn’t Japan attack Russia?’ had 16 posts in ’04 and has now expanded to 83.

So I guess that shows not all old threads are irrelevant or unimportant or uniteresting.

As I’ve explained I may (and I stress may) return to volunteer assistant tutoring in matters historical/military in a couple of years and I’m covering as many issues and subjects as possible.

What do other posters think of lodestar’s review undertaking?
                  Irrefutable evidence of lodestar’s greatness?
                  Proof beyond doubt of lodestar’s puerility?

I await responses.

Regards lodestar

Comment

I await responses.
                    OK...you just might be a macaroon buddy
                    Skip

Comment

Putting aside the uncalled for resurrection of this thread- "The Big Red One" was an awful movie in my book.

It was so not plausible (especially the first landing scene in North Africa with the Vichy troops almost immediate surrender after engaging the incoming troops from 50m or so) I couldn't even sit through the entire movie.

On that note- I miss SJ. Wonder what's up with him. He was the first to introduce me to TOAW. Great guy.

Comment

Epic thread necro. If this thread was alive, it'd be halfway old enough to vote.

Comment

Lame!! Lame!!**%%$%????
                          (trembling with incandescent rage) NOTHING, I repeat (screeching) NOTHING lodestar posts is lame! NOTHING!
                          It just varies in degrees of cogent and inherent magnificence.

Agreed? Agreed!

Seriously though, I stated my intention at the start of this little project as:

”Some time ago I declared my intention (with my usual self-inflated, pompous sense of importance - I truly, truly love every aspect of myself) to review all threads on this forum (all 6,795 of them).
                          I got started a but stopped after a couple of threads coz I had other things to do (for example counting the number of 4B pencils I have in my pencil jar or maybe watching my taped 1988 episodes of ‘The Bold and the Beautiful’ - it mattered to me so I did it. Way of lodestar and all that).

But now I’m retired I find I’m reinvigorated and in a position to slowly re-embark on my quest. I might do about two threads per week - so that's about 65 years’ worth of lodestar edicts! What a treat you’re all in for!

My stated intent is two-fold:

. To provide, either new insights and or perspectives on the threads in question, thereby opening the entire matter up for discussion again.

. Alternately to provide definitive conclusion(s) on the threads in question.

I realise that some threads are ‘closed’ but I’m sure the moderator will see the wisdom of re-opening them after he realises I’m preparing to comment on them.

Still other threads may appear to have been ‘done to death’ but I’m positive all will be waiting for my contribution- as the young people say today: just think of each post I make as a learning experience or a chance to explore ‘options’.”

Now some reviews have elicited little response but others have generated much additional discussion.
                          For example the one on: “Germany’s greatest mistake in WWII’ had just 28 posts in ’04 and now has 362.
                          ‘Why didn’t Japan attack Russia?’ had 16 posts in ’04 and has now expanded to 83.

So I guess that shows not all old threads are irrelevant or unimportant or uniteresting.

As I’ve explained I may (and I stress may) return to volunteer assistant tutoring in matters historical/military in a couple of years and I’m covering as many issues and subjects as possible.

What do other posters think of lodestar’s review undertaking?
                          Irrefutable evidence of lodestar’s greatness?
                          Proof beyond doubt of lodestar’s puerility?

I await responses.

Regards lodestar
                          Youthful Exuberance Is No Match For Old Age And Treachery.

Comment

Thread necroing 9 year old threads should be a permanent ban offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                              Thread necroing 9 year old threads should be a permanent ban offense.
                              I think that there are some very interesting threads worth showing to new members. Some for their unique content and some that cover the same content that new members start additional threads about. if there is new interest they thrive, if not they drift back to the depths of the AGC archives.

As one of the original members of the forum I have to admit it warms my heart a bit when one of my old threads shows up and seeing old avatars it makes me think fondly of many of the members who helped build this forum who for whatever reason no longer contribute.
                              Last edited by Lance Williams; 13 May 13, 18:59.
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X