Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire

I'm a sucker for love. And Jamal Malik's love and devotion to Latika never wavers from the time they meet when they're youngsters, throughout all the drama that unfolds and separates them at times in their lives. He is steadfast, earnest, and has an interesting story to tell that goes into his past to explain how he got to be on, and knows the answers to: "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". His story is told answering the questions of the local police chief, who had picked him up for allegedly cheating on the hit show.

I liked how Boyle tells this story. It was unique, even as it was familiar. Two young boys living in the slums of Mumbai, Jamal, and his older brother Salim, spend their days running around trying to avoid their mother who drags them kicking and struggling into school. One day while the moms were at the local washing hole, a mob comes in to terrorize the area, and Jamal and Salim run to safety even as they find themselves on their own.

They pick up Latika, who is also alone, and they become a ragtag family living in the city dump. They get picked up by a man that runs an orphanage, and enjoy their lives until a situation arises that sees them fleeing again. They get separated from Latika, and although the boys move on with their lives, Jamal never forgets Latika, and he goes back to look for her a few years later. They all live through several events that become the fountain of Jamal's knowledge, and in them shape their futures, but no matter what else is happening, this is the one constant in Jamal's life, looking for and finding Latika.

I thought the acting was good, and especially liked the older Salim (Madhur Mattal) and the police chief played by Anil Kapoor. I did feel a sense of deja vu at times during the film. Some of the camera work was done in the same style as in Millions. I didn't think this film was spectacular, it was good. I guess that with all the other movies as competition, that this one might have been chosen because of its inspirational/hopeful story. That's okay, I like those kinds of films. They make you feel good when you leave the theater.
    Love. Where does it come from?
    from The Thin Red Line

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X