• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview for Paul - The Pacific HBO mini-series

It looks great:

"We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
    -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Outstanding!

It looks fantastic, thank you for posting this.

I can't wait to see the damn thing, my nerves can't take much more waiting...
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

awesome

Which battle do you think this is? Tarawa? Peleliu?

Comment

Matt, I've edited the thread title to attract more people (not that Paul isn't an attraction himself though )
        Last edited by Boonierat; 21 Jan 09, 04:20.

Comment

Thanks for that Boon! I passed on it the first time, but the revised title grabbed me!

Thanks as well to Airchallenged for posting this.

Comment

Yet another 'How America won the war on their own' film/series. I would have thought that a good film on the Kokoda trail would have been a good subject & that 'for once' would show the war from another nations perspective.

Paul
            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
            All human ills he can subdue,
            Or with a bauble or medal
            Can win mans heart for you;
            And many a blessing know to stew
            To make a megloamaniac bright;
            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
              awesome

Which battle do you think this is? Tarawa? Peleliu?
              It's Peleliu. The character featured in this scene is Eugene Sledge. He was a part of a mortar crew (in one close up while he is in the LVT you can see he is carrying some mortar rounds on a chest harness) in K/3/5, 1st Marine Division. This was Sledges first action. He also fought on Okinawa. He told his story in With the Old Breed on Peleliu and Okinawa.

The two other main characters are Robert Leckie (wrote Helmet for My Pillow and became a Historian after the war) who served with the 1st Marine Division at Guadalcanal and Peleliu and John Basilone, who won the Medal of Honor with the 1st Marine Division at Guadalcanal and was killed in action at Iwo Jima after returning to combat with the 5th Marine Division.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

looks very good. Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                  I would have thought that a good film on the Kokoda trail would have been a good subject & that 'for once' would show the war from another nations perspective.

Paul
                  Ahem:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481390/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                    Outstanding!

Same here. It's going to be epic. All I have to do is find someone who gets HBO... That's difficult on a college campus

Matt, I've edited the thread title to attract more people (not that Paul isn't an attraction himself though )
                    No problem.
                    "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                    -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                      Outstanding!

Don't worry - it will arrive just in time to be totally screwed up by the changeover to totally digital transmission. In the world of TV broadcasting, timing is everything.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Don't worry - it will arrive just in time to be totally screwed up by the changeover to totally digital transmission. In the world of TV broadcasting, timing is everything.
                        Yeah. I lost 20 or so channels last week, I though buying a brand-new HDTV would cover me, but I still need the conversion box (or a cable box), and I'm too lazy to go get one.

At least they left me FOX News and Comedy Central...
                        "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                          Yet another 'How America won the war on their own' film/series. I would have thought that a good film on the Kokoda trail would have been a good subject & that 'for once' would show the war from another nations perspective.

Paul
                          Well, then why don't some lof the Non-American types go make some high-quality war films and let Speilberg, Hanks, and Dye get some damn rest...?

BoRG

Comment

Thanks so much for posting this, it looks excellent!

Only bad thing is that I don't get HBO so I can't watch it live...but at least I can get it at B&N when it comes out on DVD (although that will be moths later).

What battle was this again? Pelelieu and Okinawa?
                            Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

Well well! wonders never cease.

Paul
                              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                              All human ills he can subdue,
                              Or with a bauble or medal
                              Can win mans heart for you;
                              And many a blessing know to stew
                              To make a megloamaniac bright;
                              Give honour to the dainty Corse,