Clear All

• Mountain Man
    replied
    As a matter of act...yes.

Leave a comment:

• Torien
    replied
    Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
    So basically you have no experience living in a Communist society. I know.
    Wasn't Estonia part of the Soviet Union for over 40 years?

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    I used to work for a guy who always said: "Truth varies, depending on time, place and individual."

Leave a comment:

• Emil_G
    replied
    Originally posted by redcoat View Post
    I suspect that in truth, to the actual film makers the Empire were merely the 'bad' guys, while the rebels were the 'good' guys, any allegory seen in the movie depends on your own political viewpoint.
    If you are a liberal the Empire is an incarnation of the Nazi's, while if you are a neo-con the Empire is an incarnation of the Soviet Union.
    But you don't understand, Shamil's interpretations of everything are automatically "the truth", as it has been so painstakingly pointed out to all of us by him many times.

Leave a comment:

• redcoat
    replied
    Originally posted by Shamil View Post
    The evil Galactic Empire is the clear incarnation of the USSR in Star Wars that were shot during the last stage of the cold war. The Rebel Alliance are American neo-cons using your terminology.
    I suspect that in truth, to the actual film makers the Empire were merely the 'bad' guys, while the rebels were the 'good' guys, any allegory seen in the movie depends on your own political viewpoint.
    If you are a liberal the Empire is an incarnation of the Nazi's, while if you are a neo-con the Empire is an incarnation of the Soviet Union.

Leave a comment:

• Emil_G
    replied
    Originally posted by pp(est) View Post
    sorry, but occupied Estonia is the only communist society I have first hand experience of.
    So basically you have no experience living in a Communist society. I know.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Martok View Post
    Star Wars was never this important.

It was never meant to be this important.

It is nothing more than the result of one man's desire to capatialize on the popcorn serials of the past and make a name for himself, along with a bunch of money.

Although a moviemaker with vision, Lucas couldn't write his way out of a paper bag. He didn't know enough about the issues being discussed in order to include them as an allegory.
    Gee...I wonder if they knew that at the bank when he cashed all those huge checks?!

And in case you forgot, the genesis of Starwars included the incomparable Spielberg.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 21 Jan 09, 17:54.

Leave a comment:

• Ogukuo72
    replied
    sorry, but occupied Estonia is the only communist society I have first hand experience of.
    Good shot!

Leave a comment:

• pp(est)
    replied
    Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
    Stop describing Estonia...

Leave a comment:

• Emil_G
    replied
    mindless clones, suppression of human rights - most notably freedom of speech, overmilitarized society, dictatorship with old party hands hanging on to power until they're dead, slaves, suppression of free market... What is not communist about it? I find it a very realistic depiction of communist society. Ok, communists would use chairman instead of emperor, but you gotta give some artistic license. Emperor sounds better than chairman.
    Stop describing Estonia...

Leave a comment:

• Skoblin
    replied

It is nothing more than the result of one man's desire to capatialize on the popcorn serials of the past and make a name for himself, along with a bunch of money.

Although a moviemaker with vision, Lucas couldn't write his way out of a paper bag. He didn't know enough about the issues being discussed in order to include them as an allegory.
    Very good points....if anything...the Empire is Nazi Germany, straight from the 30's and 40', versus Buck Rogers (Han Solo) and various sidekicks from the Little Rascals, including R2D2 as the dog.

EDIT: Also agree - Lucas has great 'vision' at times but is a terrible writer. The inclusion of all the 'cutesie' characters is an annoying accompaniment. Personally, I was hoping all those little Ewoks would be eaten by Jabba at a big feast. Now...that would be entertaining.
    Last edited by Skoblin; 20 Jan 09, 11:37.

Leave a comment:

• Torien
    replied

Very good points.

Leave a comment:

• Martok
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Allegory for the Wild West.

Leave a comment:

• Admiral
    replied
    Thread moved to Film, DVD and TV

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...