Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars - Allegory for what?

Originally posted by skoblin
    bobble-heading....you mean like this....

beware my light-saber, Emil.....
    Yoda hates Nazis. The Rebel Alliance are left-wing militants!

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
    Yoda hates Nazis. The Rebel Alliance are left-wing militants!
    The evil Galactic Empire is the clear incarnation of the USSR in Star Wars that were shot during the last stage of the cold war. The Rebel Alliance are American neo-cons using your terminology.

Comment

Of course not, and of course you wouldn't, no one was a Nazi, ever at any time! Especially anyone actually fighting.
      You come back with this after a post which specifically mentions Nazis fighting. Oh, well.

The topic is interesting. A shame the thread goes down the same route all threads seem to go.

I always thought the empire was supposed to be a communist utopia...

Comment

Originally posted by Shamil View Post
        The evil Galactic Empire is the clear incarnation of the USSR in Star Wars that were shot during the last stage of the cold war. The Rebel Alliance are American neo-cons using your terminology.
        LOL! I think I finally found the level of discourse you are comfortable in. Why didn't you say so sooner?

I have Randall from Clerks to thank for the "left wing militants" line, and he knows his SW!

Neo-cons didn't really exist in the 1970's. Nixon was a liberal compared to Bush.

Comment

LOL! I think I finally found the level of discourse you are comfortable in. Why didn't you say so sooner?
          It is your discourse: USSR, Neo-cons, Nazis.

I have Randall from Clerks to thank for the "left wing militants" line, and he knows his SW!
          Neo-cons didn't really exist in the 1970's. Nixon was a liberal compared to Bush.
          The first part of the movie shot in the 1977 actually preceeded the Ronald Reagan's presidency and was partly inspired by the global Soviet-American confrontation in which the USSR was viewed as the Empire of evil by the film creators.

All these expressions about the Empire of Evil, Axis of Evil are typically neo-con's expressions derived from the movie in which the Rebel alliance are American neo-cons.
          Last edited by Shamil; 19 Jan 09, 20:48.

Comment

I always thought the empire was supposed to be a communist utopia...
            Hehe, you projected so badly you missed the obvious references....

But the real cold war had a REAL Star Wars!

The original movies as a cold war allegory? Not super ridiculous but not a popular viewpoint. The Empire is usually associated with the USA with Nazi-style touches like "stormtroopers".

Not sure but I think Lucas is kind of a liberal (wink wink).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051600615.html

Comment

All these expressions about the Empire of Evil, Axis of Evil are typically neo-con's expressions derived from the movie in which the Rebel alliance are American neo-cons.
              Haha, now I am beginning to think that you haven't even seen Star Wars. In it, it is not "The Evil Empire", but just "The Galactic Empire" which is a "constitutional monarchy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Empire_(Star_Wars)

"The Axis of Evil" was something made up by George Bush, the term "Axis" clearly borrowed from "Axis and Allies" because it automatically invokes negative images.

You can't **** with me on Star Wars dude!
              Last edited by Emil_G; 19 Jan 09, 20:53.

Comment

No, STAR WARS discourse, are you a fan?
                I liked the first films when I was a child. But I can't say that I am or was their fun.

Comment

I liked the first films when I was a child. But I can't say that I am or was a their fun.
                  Yeah, you already showed that you don't know as much about SW as you think you do.

Comment

Haha, now I am beginning to think that you haven't even seen Star Wars. In it, it is not "The Evil Empire", but just "The Galactic Empire" which is a "constitutional monarchy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Empire_(Star_Wars)

"Form of Government Absolute monarchy de facto, constitutional monarchy de jure" is written in the right corner of the wiki article. Anyway, I believe the Galactic Empire aroused associations with the USSR among Americans at that time. Of course, some Third Reich totalitarian aesthetics was added to make the Galactic Empire look more beautiful.

Comment

"Form of Government Absolute monarchy de facto, constitutional monarchy de jure" is written in the right corner of the wiki article. Anyway, I believed the Galactic Empire aroused associations with the USSR among Americans at that time. Of course, some Third Reich totalitarian aesthetics was added to make the Galactic Empire look more beautiful.
                      It might have, but it is just not known as a cold war allegory. I'd be interested in any articles that propose otherwise though.

Comment

It might have, but it is just not known as a cold war allegory. I'd be interested in any articles that propose otherwise though.
                        I am afraid I can't find the relevant articles now. But first Star Wars films as the allegory of Cold War is quite a logical claim considering the time of their production as the present is more actual than the past. I believe the creators of such a successful film realised it well then.

Comment

I am afraid I can't find the relevant articles now. But first Cold Wars films as the allegory of Cold War is quite a logical claim considering the time of their production as the present is more actual than the past. I believe the creators of such a successful film realised it well then.
                          It is not completely illogical but it is a stretch, as far as the time, the late 1970's were actually a period of increased co-operation b/w the USA and the USSR, coincidentally in space.

Allegory, is not really a genre for a right-wing cold war message anyway, that was usually presented outright, and in really funny ways too, see Red Dawn, Invasion USA, etc.

Comment

Gone for 1 hour, and suddenly it becomes a star wars thread. Yes, I realize the irony in that I accidentally started it by posting Yoda-bobblehead. OK. Back to topic, gentlemen.

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
                              Gone for 1 hour, and suddenly it becomes a star wars thread. Yes, I realize the irony in that I accidentally started it by posting Yoda-bobblehead. OK. Back to topic, gentlemen.
                              C'mon, you have some input! So Star Wars - a right-wing, hawkish anti-communist allegory?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X