Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anachronism and Historical Goof Collection Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    This thread is fatally flawed.

    Come on, you're ragging on an Indiana Jones movie for historical accuracy?

    Next you will be explaining how porn is all fake orgasms too.

    Good grief guys, I can relate to saying U571 was Americanized bull, but to rag on on an obvious piece of overt fiction like Indiana Jones?

    Can anyone here spell perspective?
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by les Brains View Post
      This thread is fatally flawed.

      Come on, you're ragging on an Indiana Jones movie for historical accuracy?

      Next you will be explaining how porn is all fake orgasms too.

      Good grief guys, I can relate to saying U571 was Americanized bull, but to rag on on an obvious piece of overt fiction like Indiana Jones?

      Can anyone here spell perspective?
      This from a guy who watches anime?
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

      Comment


      • #18
        You might need to clarify that post MM, or I will be unable to properly ascertain why it was pointless
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by les Brains View Post
          You might need to clarify that post MM, or I will be unable to properly ascertain why it was pointless
          The fact that you request clarification has just pegged my weird BS-o-meter.

          You watch anime, a fantasy cartoon world featuring scantily clad pre-pubescent Asian girls, and pass judgement on others who question historical accuracy in real movies?


          Why, one might reasonably ask, could not Spielberg, a man obsessed with historical accuracy in his other films, not put a little effort into the Indiana Jones series? Is not IJ supposed to be fiction set in the real world?
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

          Comment


          • #20
            Found a new one. I was watching the Battle of Okinawa, a Japanese flick. It was a good movie but it's easy to see why they lost the island as their defenses came under assault by M48 tanks. The M4 was lethal enough against the Japanese tin toys, but an M48? Yikes!
            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              The fact that you request clarification has just pegged my weird BS-o-meter.

              You watch anime, a fantasy cartoon world featuring scantily clad pre-pubescent Asian girls, and pass judgement on others who question historical accuracy in real movies?


              Why, one might reasonably ask, could not Spielberg, a man obsessed with historical accuracy in his other films, not put a little effort into the Indiana Jones series? Is not IJ supposed to be fiction set in the real world?
              Really MM, your assertion of anime as "scantily clad pre-pubescent Asian girls" actually just cost you several valuable IQ points.

              Guess you have not heard of Ghost in the Shell, Matrix, and other popular fare like Death Note, and older popular titles such as Akira.

              It's idiotic notions of anime, that make non anime fans look like the idiots, not the people that watch the stuff.

              It's tantamount to claiming everything in a video rental location is porn, if the store just happens to have some in a back room.

              It's like saying just because they made U571, everything made in Hollywood is bogus crap. Wait, it is.
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                Really MM, your assertion of anime as "scantily clad pre-pubescent Asian girls" actually just cost you several valuable IQ points.

                Guess you have not heard of Ghost in the Shell, Matrix, and other popular fare like Death Note, and older popular titles such as Akira.



                If you're trying to make a case for clean anime you might have picked a better title than Ghost in the Shell. Don't get me wrong, it's a awesome movie, I'm not much for anime and I think it's cool, but Ghost in the Shell trades scantily clad for full nudity in just the opening credits. Granted she was an adult but still anime has always been known for being racy and gory.

                You'd make a better case pointing to shows like Speed Racer and that Gundam series, or Steamboy (that one was kind of interesting) or the historical animes like Grave of the Fireflies or The Cockpit.

                There is clean anime out there, I don't deny it. I just laughed because you provided Ghost in the Shell and Akira as examples.
                A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                  Really MM, your assertion of anime as "scantily clad pre-pubescent Asian girls" actually just cost you several valuable IQ points.

                  Guess you have not heard of Ghost in the Shell, Matrix, and other popular fare like Death Note, and older popular titles such as Akira.

                  It's idiotic notions of anime, that make non anime fans look like the idiots, not the people that watch the stuff.

                  It's tantamount to claiming everything in a video rental location is porn, if the store just happens to have some in a back room.

                  It's like saying just because they made U571, everything made in Hollywood is bogus crap. Wait, it is.
                  Les, spare me the false definitions. You forget, I've known you for a long, long time. If you want to BS somebody, I'm not your best choice.

                  As for the "IQ points", I'll chance it. I could lose half of my IQ and still not be down to the anime-movie-watching level.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The assertion was of anime being "scantily clad pre-pubescent Asian girls", as if that was all it was.

                    As such, neither of you has defended his claim.

                    So what if Ghost in the Shell has nudity, not even relevant to the reply I made.

                    And Death Note is all about random, and violently depicted death in most cases. Certainly not in the icky cute category.

                    Akira is a very rough anime over all. Certainly not kiddy grade content.

                    Now if we want to claim anime is all about female lingerie, sure, no argument there, as there are so many cases I couldn't hope to cover them all adequately.
                    You get flashed undies in everything from the totally innocent like Kikky's Delivery service, which is wholesome enough that claiming it was anything else will just get you laughed at for the prude you'd have to be.
                    Then there's stuff like Agent Akia, where the entire point of the show is how many women (women not girls), can you get into the shot, fully exposing their undies, every moment of every minute.

                    Because you have to understand, even though Japan has some odd draconian laws regarding sex in media (you would be wondering why like me though), the thing is, it's Japanese culture, and they couldn't care less for the sexually hung up western cultures that like to pretend they are PC, but in truth are ruled by a majority of religiously dominated prudes.

                    And you can find just as much Simpson's porn as you can anime porn. But really, if that floats your boat, do you really think Marge naked has much of a chance vs a cute Japanese female?

                    And it seems like Hollywood has actually run out of atypically North American themed crap to foist onto us here in North America, because they are increasingly targeting Japanese and non Japanese video gaming settings to pilfer for their buggered to hell and gone film notions.

                    I recently heard their plans the mangle a live form of Akira itself recently fell through, which was no doubt met with a great sigh of relief, as Hollywood couldn't properly do Akira at gun point.

                    It's bad enough they want to do King of fighters, minus the setting and the proper outfits, which leaves one to wonder, why pay to use the name, or is it possible Hollywood simply knows that way too many movie goers in North America are so stupid they can be offered anything.

                    I think that's mainly it. Hollywood makes it's money based on the fact the audience is made up of a high density of stupid people.
                    Last edited by LRB; 19 Jun 09, 09:28.
                    Life is change. Built models for decades.
                    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                    I didn't for a long time either.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                      The assertion was of anime being "scantily clad pre-pubescent Asian girls", as if that was all it was.

                      As such, neither of you has defended his claim.

                      So what if Ghost in the Shell has nudity, not even relevant to the reply I made.

                      And Death Note is all about random, and violently depicted death in most cases. Certainly not in the icky cute category.

                      Akira is a very rough anime over all. Certainly not kiddy grade content.

                      Now if we want to claim anime is all about female lingerie, sure, no argument there, as there are so many cases I couldn't hope to cover them all adequately.
                      You get flashed undies in everything from the totally innocent like Kikky's Delivery service, which is wholesome enough that claiming it was anything else will just get you laughed at for the prude you'd have to be.
                      Then there's stuff like Agent Akia, where the entire point of the show is how many women (women not girls), can you get into the shot, fully exposing their undies, every moment of every minute.

                      Because you have to understand, even though Japan has some odd draconian laws regarding sex in media (you would be wondering why like me though), the thing is, it's Japanese culture, and they couldn't care less for the sexually hung up western cultures that like to pretend they are PC, but in truth are ruled by a majority of religiously dominated prudes.

                      And you can find just as much Simpson's porn as you can anime porn. But really, if that floats your boat, do you really think Marge naked has much of a chance vs a cute Japanese female?

                      And it seems like Hollywood has actually run out of atypically North American themed crap to foist onto us here in North America, because they are increasingly targeting Japanese and non Japanese video gaming settings to pilfer for their buggered to hell and gone film notions.

                      I recently heard their plans the mangle a live form of Akira itself recently fell through, which was no doubt met with a great sigh of relief, as Hollywood couldn't properly do Akira at gun point.

                      It's bad enough they want to do King of fighters, minus the setting and the proper outfits, which leaves one to wonder, why pay to use the name, or is it possible Hollywood simply knows that way too many movie goers in North America are so stupid they can be offered anything.

                      I think that's mainly it. Hollywood makes it's money based on the fact the audience is made up of a high density of stupid people.
                      Your easy familiarity with the "undie rating" is noted for future reference.

                      And you're avoiding the question and the issue in your defense of complete fantasy.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        "Is not IJ supposed to be fiction set in the real world?"

                        "And you're avoiding the question and the issue in your defense of complete fantasy".

                        Haven't been avoiding anything MM.
                        It's possible I have disregarded debating someone that is both ill equipped and unprepared to engage in the debate though.

                        Indiana Jones was a fiction. Case decided right there. It isn't the real world, and thus historicity is entirely whimsical.

                        The world of Frank Herbert's Dune was a fictional world set in a quasi real world like back drop. For instance, can you explain the interesting nature of the 'Orange Catholic Bible' of the setting?

                        As for myself and anime. it's likely entirely, and completely and totally common knowledge I like anime. It's so well known as to be a waste of time covering it.
                        But I can understand that you are really just pulling my leg over it, and I can deal with it, as you and I have a lot of past friendship.
                        While it isn't actually my favourite show, I do like Sailormoon, and I often like to mention it, just because it's suitably silly enough to be funny mentioning I like it. It's mostly just mentioned for the laugh potential.
                        When I consider I have likely watched 80% of ALL the well known, established anime shows, with names even the most casual of anime fans would recognize. And that my collection of anime on dvd is something to the tune of 500 dvds, matched nicely by about 300 dvds of fansubbed computer format files of anime, it can be seen I have not had to be overly fussy.

                        As such I am if anything, quite the expert on anime.

                        And the only thing that separates anime, from the worthless offal churned out by Hollywood, is anime is drawn, and thus looks better, and doesn't possess over paid prima donna actors and actresses which many often think are not worth the pay.
                        I've actually seen anime, with better, more consistent levels of historical accuracy. Or just plain levels of detail accuracy.
                        Life is change. Built models for decades.
                        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                        I didn't for a long time either.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                          "Is not IJ supposed to be fiction set in the real world?"

                          "And you're avoiding the question and the issue in your defense of complete fantasy".

                          Haven't been avoiding anything MM.
                          It's possible I have disregarded debating someone that is both ill equipped and unprepared to engage in the debate though.

                          Indiana Jones was a fiction. Case decided right there. It isn't the real world, and thus historicity is entirely whimsical.

                          The world of Frank Herbert's Dune was a fictional world set in a quasi real world like back drop. For instance, can you explain the interesting nature of the 'Orange Catholic Bible' of the setting?

                          As for myself and anime. it's likely entirely, and completely and totally common knowledge I like anime. It's so well known as to be a waste of time covering it.
                          But I can understand that you are really just pulling my leg over it, and I can deal with it, as you and I have a lot of past friendship.
                          While it isn't actually my favourite show, I do like Sailormoon, and I often like to mention it, just because it's suitably silly enough to be funny mentioning I like it. It's mostly just mentioned for the laugh potential.
                          When I consider I have likely watched 80% of ALL the well known, established anime shows, with names even the most casual of anime fans would recognize. And that my collection of anime on dvd is something to the tune of 500 dvds, matched nicely by about 300 dvds of fansubbed computer format files of anime, it can be seen I have not had to be overly fussy.

                          As such I am if anything, quite the expert on anime.

                          And the only thing that separates anime, from the worthless offal churned out by Hollywood, is anime is drawn, and thus looks better, and doesn't possess over paid prima donna actors and actresses which many often think are not worth the pay.
                          I've actually seen anime, with better, more consistent levels of historical accuracy. Or just plain levels of detail accuracy.
                          Go back to watching your cartoon little girls, les. It says everything about you that I need to know.

                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Go back to watching your cartoon little girls, les. It says everything about you that I need to know.

                            Go back?

                            He assumes I ever discontinued

                            Just watched the most recent Haruhi Suzumiya episode between my last post and this one.

                            Hey, 5 minutes on half of the forums here at ACG and I NEED to watch something silly just to counter act the effect

                            You actually think most of the religious and political threads here are rewarding

                            And that one I started called 'Total Freaks', well let me tell you, the real world is often of so little worth, that the fantasy world of anime is often the only thing that keeps me sane
                            Life is change. Built models for decades.
                            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                            I didn't for a long time either.

                            Comment

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X