Vets and War Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vets and War Movies

Last night I watched We Were Soldiers again, and found myself thinking that, had I been there, I don't know that I would want to watch it, or that I would be able to watch it. I live in a testosterone-laden home -- mostly the under twenty-five crowd, and so asked the males in the room about it. I was surprised by the answers.

Had you been there (hypothetically or factually), would you watch vivid war movies? Would it depend on the war (for example, if you were in Vietnam, would you watch WWII movies, but not Vietnam war movies)?

I'll add a poll to this, but would love to hear your thoughts.
    Yes, I would
    85.71%
    No, I would not
    0.00%
    I would, but not the ones about the war I was in
    14.29%
    Rambo ruined all other war movies for me.
    0.00%
    As me old pappy used to say, "If you can't dazzle 'em with diamonds, baffle 'em with bullshit".

The Writers Block

MY BOOKS

STEVE PARK'S MEMOIR

Aloha Ronnie was there. He was a member of the unit portrayed in the film.

We have a number of Vietnam and WWII vets on the forum. I have had no problem with any war movie that I've seen except perhaps Born on the 4th of July.

HP
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by AmandaLyn View Post
      Last night I watched We Were Soldiers again, and found myself thinking that, had I been there, I don't know that I would want to watch it, or that I would be able to watch it. I live in a testosterone-laden home -- mostly the under twenty-five crowd, and so asked the males in the room about it. I was surprised by the answers.

Had you been there (hypothetically or factually), would you watch vivid war movies? Would it depend on the war (for example, if you were in Vietnam, would you watch WWII movies, but not Vietnam war movies)?

I'll add a poll to this, but would love to hear your thoughts.
      Aha, we meet again (from the Intro). In the end I think you are going to have to ask either more or different questions. Your choices may not quite fit the whole range.

Personally, although I am tired of them, I can watch the nonsensical Ramboesque movies all day but there are others I do not want to watch again. Steve (ex-grunt)
      www.writersamuseme.com/stevepark.htm#878116944

Comment

Maybe some clarification would help? Lemme try again...

My uncle was at Dieppe. He would never talk about it, would never watch a war movie when he came home. After he died, I was given some of his letters he wrote, and some of the articles and memories he committed to paper. Reading his account of what happened, had I been there I don't think I would be able to watch a combat movie. I imagine my uncle had more than enough vivid memories of what happened and really didn't need to be reminded. (He returned home early, having been critically injured in Ortona)

In his lifetime, there weren't a lot of movies about Korea or Vietnam. I don't know if he would have watched them anyways.

I can understand him not wanting to discuss his experience or watching it on a movie screen. I wonder if that is something that is, or would be, shared by others.

hmmm.... does this clarify the OP, or make it worse??
        Last edited by AmandaLyn; 04 Jan 09, 14:16. Reason: ever have one of those mornings?? ;)
        As me old pappy used to say, "If you can't dazzle 'em with diamonds, baffle 'em with bullshit".

The Writers Block

MY BOOKS

STEVE PARK'S MEMOIR

Comment

hmmm.... Does this clarify the op, more make it worse??

yes
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

LOL -- would you believe it's really cold here and my fingers aren't working properly?

(oh damn, just about did it again!)

The Writers Block

MY BOOKS

STEVE PARK'S MEMOIR

Comment

My time in uniform coincided with the portion of the cold war of the late 70s.

To this date, I still can't really get into wargames set in hypothetical conflicts of Warsaw Pact vs Nato. I guess I just don't have any fond memories of the time period thinking of what might have been. I'm just glad there never was anything to remember I suppose.

I suppose vets might have mixed feelings. My grandfather NEVER talked about his time in Europe with the Long Left Flank during the 40s.
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

[QUOTE=AmandaLyn;1083594]Maybe some clarification would help? Lemme try again...

My uncle was at Dieppe. He would never talk about it, would never watch a war movie when he came home. After he died, I was given some of his letters he wrote, and some of the articles and memories he committed to paper. Reading his account of what happened, had I been there I don't think I would be able to watch a combat movie. I imagine my uncle had more than enough vivid memories of what happened and really didn't need to be reminded. (He returned home early, having been critically injured in Ortona)

In his lifetime, there weren't a lot of movies about Korea or Vietnam. I don't know if he would have watched them anyways.

I can understand him not wanting to discuss his experience or watching it on a movie screen. I wonder if that is something that is, or would be, shared by others.

hmmm.... does this clarify the OP, or make it worse??[/QUOTE

It does help. One of the reasons may also be that there were (are) so few good movies and there is nothing worse than a serious but bad one.

I also had an uncle who had three fingers shot off in Korea. I grew up and never heard any words related to the military. I asked him a year after I returned from VN and it took him about two minutes to tell me everything I needed to know. Another uncle, in WWII, never mentioned anything until I got my orders to go to VN. I think there needs to be some common bond to understand the fullest extent. In forty years I have said very little to very few. While I have started my personal memoir of 1968, I doubt it will go beyond a folder in a box. There is seldom reason to talk about things but after 40 years, writing does make a difference but good or bad, I don't know.

I think you could write a couple of chapters on whether or not about the reasons on the movies. Steve
                www.writersamuseme.com/stevepark.htm#878116944

Comment

This much I know, the last dvd of the series Band of Brothers, where the real men that were in the unit are talking about the stuff depicted in the previous dvds, was one of the most heart rending things I have ever watched.

You can always tell when you are talking to a man (or woman too I suppose) that has seen the ugly side of war.
                  Life is change. Built models for decades.
                  Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                  I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

My Dad, and his Dad, and my other grandfather all saw alot of combat, and they all shared a love of war movies.

However, there are some that are "only watch once" status, and some that are "watch with no less than a fifth of booze" status. I guess some movies are either too realistic, or too close to that combat emotion for comfort....
                    "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

[QUOTE=steve park;1083698]
                      Maybe some clarification would help? Lemme try again... I know how you mean about writing about such experiences it has been suggested to me and I have tried, finnishing off with two or three sheets of typing then stopping. Two or three goes and it is always the same. If I have consumed a few glasses I will hold forth, the only problem with that is I find the facts of what I am saying is not half so amusing or interesting to my companions as the fact that I am 'sloshed'!!

hmmm.... does this clarify the OP, or make it worse??[/QUOTE

It does help. One of the reasons may also be that there were (are) so few good movies and there is nothing worse than a serious but bad one.

I also had an uncle who had three fingers shot off in Korea. I grew up and never heard any words related to the military. I asked him a year after I returned from VN and it took him about two minutes to tell me everything I needed to know. Another uncle, in WWII, never mentioned anything until I got my orders to go to VN. I think there needs to be some common bond to understand the fullest extent. In forty years I have said very little to very few. While I have started my personal memoir of 1968, I doubt it will go beyond a folder in a box. There is seldom reason to talk about things but after 40 years, writing does make a difference but good or bad, I don't know.

I think you could write a couple of chapters on whether or not about the reasons on the movies. Steve
                      'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                      " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Hmm

Just came across this....................
                        Bill Guarnere told me that when he and a couple other Easy Co Veterans watched the jump scene on D-Day for the Band of Brothers he felt as if he was there again.
                        When I was on the last tour Fred Bahlau (101st Veteran but not Easy Co) was watching Band of Brothers with us on the bus, when the liberation of the camp at Landsburg came on I saw Fred get a little teary eyed. Fred was one of the first men to liberate one of these camps and called Colonel Sink.

Chad
                        "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

I would want to, so that I can see how well screenwriters and directors can really portray war.
                          Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

Originally posted by Hufflepuff44 View Post
                            I would want to, so that I can see how well screenwriters and directors can really portray war.
                            Which is partially why i want to know. I am not a screenwriter, nor do I really plan to be, but in what I do write, the accuracy is important to me. I don't want to fall into stereotypes or cliches, and I really don't want to sensationalize the issues, but the accuracy is very important to me.

The Writers Block

MY BOOKS

STEVE PARK'S MEMOIR

Comment

Which is partially why i want to know. I am not a screenwriter, nor do I really plan to be, but in what I do write, the accuracy is important to me. I don't want to fall into stereotypes or cliches, and I really don't want to sensationalize the issues, but the accuracy is very important to me.
                              This is a key problem for me as well; I write some small screenplays for films my friends and I do, nothing hollywood-worthy But I do want to be accurate so I can pay respects to those who fought and died for thier buddies and ideals bigger than they were
                              Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X