Munich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munich

Finally got round to watching the movie Munich.

Actually not really that bad. Eric Bana was pretty good in whichever role he's in. Just wish he wouldn't brood so much all the time. Action is fairly decent.

The thing that constantly bugs me, of course, is the fact that Eric Bana keeps running around with a Beretta 92. Not just a Beretta 92, but a 92F. Now, it is still quite plausible that a Mossad agent in 1972/3 might conceivably lay his hands on a prototype, but the original 92's were not marketed until 1975. And then, of course, the 92F did not start being made until 1984.

In any case, if you believe the book, the pistol used by the Mossad assassins was the .22 Beretta - a far cry from the Beretta 92.

Another thing that irritates me is the fact that a Mossad agent, as portrayed in the movie, would put his trust in an informant that he hardly knows - and who soon has a rather dubious track record of providing faulty equipment or unreliable intelligence. This is not the mafia. It is the Mossad, with intelligence networks throughout Europe, we're talking about here.

A word must be said about the original TV movie "Sword of Gideon" here. By far, it was the superior product to the movie "Munich". It is more accurate in details, and certainly seems more plausible, despite the fact that it is based upon the same questionable source as "Munich".

Certainly, certain parts of the movie rings true. First, the assassins used the .22 Beretta (at least in the first part of the movie when Avner was asked to pick his pistol; in some of the other scenes, the PPK seemed to have been substituted). Second, they used what has been called the "Israeli Draw" in one crucial scene (i.e., the pistol did not have a round in the chamber - you draw it, pull back the slide to feed a round as you raise the pistol.)

I leave you here with a short youtube clip from the "Sword of Gideon":

Factual error: The 5 German 'snipers' at the Munich airport are shown using G-3 rifles with scopes on them. None of the 5 snipers had scopes on their rifles. In fact, they didn't even have semi-automatic rifles. They used bolt rifles with iron sights. Their poor equipment contributed significantly to the failure of the rescue operation and prompted H&K to develop the PSG-1 sniper rifle.

Found on moviemistakes.com

Comment

Originally posted by apteryx View Post
      Factual error: The 5 German 'snipers' at the Munich airport are shown using G-3 rifles with scopes on them. None of the 5 snipers had scopes on their rifles. In fact, they didn't even have semi-automatic rifles. They used bolt rifles with iron sights. Their poor equipment contributed significantly to the failure of the rescue operation and prompted H&K to develop the PSG-1 sniper rifle.

Found on moviemistakes.com
      Good point. Didn't know about that one. I'm sure the German Army had proper snipers, but probably didn't deploy of German laws with regards to the role of the Army.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X