Flyboys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyboys

Tonight I sat down and watched Sky Movies and saw a film called “Flyboys” about a group of American flyers fighting for the French in WWI.
    Although this story is loosely based on fact that is where reality ends!
    I have to say that this film is without doubt worse than U571, which I personally didn’t think was possible as that was a steaming pile of horse manure!
    Did a crazed psycho patient on day release write this script? Didn’t the actors realise the story was utter shyte or were they so hard up for cash they had to do it?
    Was the story supposed to be believable?or a comedy ? ………. If so how could the main character nutter land his plane secretly in the middle of no-mans land between two opposing front lines dodging of course the holes .run two hundred meters dodging the entire German and French Armies fire, stand up and lift the plane and then cut a mans hand off with one blow of a spade,

Sorry but isn’t this shyte film a real dishonour to those real guys? Why cant people especially the Americans make war films without introducing stupid and over exaggerated stereo types of people
    These are ………
    Germans …..Murdering thugs in great uniforms who speak like ……..Arrr.Englander !! ve knows yurrs plan, you vill be shottt!!!

British ………normally upper class, stupid , moustache wearing pipe smoking buffoon who loves Americans, dislikes women, and usually gets wounded !

Italians ………….has a relative in New York…cant fight his way out of a wet paper bag and usually has about ten women on the go !

French…………easy going ,wine drinking ,cheese eating ,American loving people who dress like bag ladies , and fight like them !

Americans ……….bit of a renegade, usually an Captain, has a sad personal history , hates discipline ,and the war , loves children, pets and women where his candy bars come in handy! Usually is very well dressed with rows of medals, which is hard to figure out considering he’s only just joined. Usually kills more Germans or Japanese than everybody else put together is wounded in the end ,rarely killed , and always gets the Girl…..am I wrong?

Oh and the Irish …if were in a film at all is usually a …… Drunken ,fighting drunken fighting drunken fighting nutter who drinks a lot ,fights a lot , doesn’t know what women are apart from his mother, is a good singer when he not fighting, hates the English and talks like …….Oh me darling colonel,, Oh be..Jayyuss, Top of the morning to ya …diddley diddley de ……………..
    FOR ITS ALLWAYS TO BE SEEN THE SHAMROCK AND THE GREEN IN FRONT OF THE THIN RED LINE

Come on it wasn't THAT bad. Admittedly every stereotype and cliche were used and I know that every German plane wasn't painted red, but it was based on a real squaudron, the most accurate part was having the African-American as one of the top pilots. Plus I thought the blending of CGI and live action was well done. I'd give it 2 stars.
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

ARRRRRRRR LANCE !!!!!! But your American and thus cannot think without saluting the flag and singing the star spangled banner when watching this sort of crap American film !Most Americans think this is what happened fcat is this story is very loosely based on fact and just didnt happen that way !......Sorry .but this film was total and utter shyte ! .it was like a crap version of the Matrix meets the comedy red barron on drugs !
      FOR ITS ALLWAYS TO BE SEEN THE SHAMROCK AND THE GREEN IN FRONT OF THE THIN RED LINE

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Mick View Post
        ARRRRRRRR LANCE !!!!!! But your American and thus cannot think without saluting the flag and singing the star spangled banner when watching this sort of crap American film !
        As opposed to being a drunken Irishman everyday of the week?
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

ARRRRRRRR LANCE !!!!!! But your American and thus cannot think without saluting the flag and singing the star spangled banner when watching this sort of crap American film !Most Americans think this is what happened fcat is this story is very loosely based on fact and just didnt happen that way !......Sorry .but this film was total and utter shyte ! .it was like a crap version of the Matrix meets the comedy red barron on drugs !
          I Am guessing you have no idea who Frank Luke is then????He makes the americans in this movie look tame ,and his story is fact.His feats were accomplised in only 21 days.

Comment

It truly was a stinker. I felt sorry for Reno's part in it.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
              As opposed to being a drunken Irishman everyday of the week?

i like a drink ! and dont get drunk after 4 pints of budw*nker !"!

however i know a shyte film when i see wheather im drunk or not !

The fact is that most (there are few exceptions) American filmmakers can’t make a truly decent modest war film without over stated brash and stupid Nationalist stereotypes I have listed before. This serves many purposes such as portraying that Americans as some kind of supreme beings and insinuating that without doubt the US soldier is the best soldier in the World (something that anyone whose served with US forces knows is laughable and nowhere near the truth) Im personally sick of this shyte and cant wait to see the day when a film portrays the Americans is a true light …….a bit like Blackhawk down but more truthful !

Comment

i like a drink ! and dont get drunk after 4 pints of budw*nker !"!

however i know a shyte film when i see wheather im drunk or not !

The fact is that most (there are few exceptions) American filmmakers can’t make a truly decent modest war film without over stated brash and stupid Nationalist stereotypes I have listed before. This serves many purposes such as portraying that Americans as some kind of supreme beings and insinuating that without doubt the US soldier is the best soldier in the World (something that anyone whose served with US forces knows is laughable and nowhere near the truth) Im personally sick of this shyte and cant wait to see the day when a film portrays the Americans is a true light …….a bit like Blackhawk down but more truthful !
                I have yet to see anyone on this forum say that Flyboys is a good movie. Just about every post I have seen from you is nothing short of good ole American bashing. In short,I think you're nothing but a troll.
                If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Listen Lord Vader !!! I dont dislike American people that ive meet personally i find most Americans very freiendly in fact and i have been in contact with many Americans throughout my 22 years in the British Army. What i find hard to take here is that i think American cinema ,using its vast scope of influence around the World , to influnce people who quiet frankly dont know any better !
                  Watch certain Hollywood films and unless you didnt know any better (ie most Americans ) you would think thats how it was ! !!!

Comment

This film Is an average quality film, relating the true story of escadrille Lafayette , American volunteers who came to fight for the freedom of my country. The first version of was released in 1958 with Clint Eastwood .

Don't forget the first black American pilot was in this escadrille as well
                    the first american pilot killed in combat
                    à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
                    (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

Average!!!!! i would hate to see you bad films then !

An empty film that glorifies war. It tells the true story of the legendary 1917!! Lafayette Escadrille, a French squadron of ""international"" fighters (it was shot in England), through the eyes of American flyers who volunteered to fight for France before America entered World War I at a time when planes were primitive. The boys are inexperienced but manage to become the best flyers within a few weeks and who just love the action of those dogfights--shot as a computer-generated video game fantasy (The special effects are like they are firing matrix ammo ! Its filled with an unbearable endless supply of clichés and has no trouble moving from lame comic set pieces to superficially told horror of war stories to a bland soap opera romance. It felt like it stole the heart out of many other such formulaic war tales, but couldn't get any heart into its formulaic telling. This clinker was so lackluster and the acting so atrocious, it makes Howard Hughes' 1930 nonsense tale about flying aces, Hell's Angels, look like a serious work of art in comparison. It telegraphs every banal and sentimental message sent and by the end proves it has no agenda but to entertain with escapist dogfight scenes.

The featured American thrill-seekers who come aboard in 1916 in Verdun and fight with the Lafayette Escadrille are: an orphaned pretty boy cowboy from Texas, who just lost his family's big spread, Blaine Rawlings (James Franco), and had to get out of town in a hurry after punching out the banker responsible for the foreclosure and decides to join after watching a newsreel in a movie theater; wealthy fat boy Briggs Lowry (Tyler Labine), who got the boot from Harvard and thinks he can prove himself to his stuffy dad in France's war; an American Negro boxer fighting in France, Eugene Skinner (Abdul Salis), who joins because he wants to show his appreciation to France for not being prejudice; your run-of-the-mill screw-up looking for the military to straighten him out, but who arouses suspicion because he's a German-American, gave a false name and can't shoot worth a lick, Eddie Beagle (David Ellison); a young Nebraska man from a family of military heroes who must also be a hero, William Jensen (Philip Winchester); a Bible-toting Christian named Lyle Porter (Michael Jibson); and their world weary brave but mysterious squadron leader, Reed Cassidy (Martin Henderson), who is not yet thirty but has seen so many pilots killed that he becomes a loner and a big drinker, raises his glass for endless bawdy toasts to his fallen comrades and goes to the local whorehouse to forget his troubles. They are under the supervision of the very chilled out French Captain Thenault (Jean Reno), who mocks the Americans for not speaking French but applauds them for their spunk to come here and fight--therefore will bend the rules for them at times.

Rawlings becomes the de facto leader of the American misfits, and begins a romance with a pretty local farm girl living nearby, Lucienne (Jennifer Decker), who is not able to speak English. The rest of the scenes break down between many dogfights in the personal rigged biplanes, a battle with a dirigible on a mission to bomb Paris (where the film climaxed and should have ended, thereby cutting off something like 30 belabored minutes), and it eventually builds to the expected one-on-one dogfight between the ace American flyer and the German ace, called the Black Falcon (Gunnar Winbergh)--boo boo which didn't seem all too exciting.
                      Over two hours it makes for an arduous watch. These flyboys suffer no disillusionment that the war billed as the one "To end all wars" didn't live up to expectations. It's the kind of safe war film that Bush, Saddam and the current crazy guy who is head of Iran can all probably find agreeable.

in summary ...........total American Shyte !!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Last edited by Fighting Mick; 17 Dec 08, 17:54.

Comment

I suggest you quit watching american films then...........

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
                          I have yet to see anyone on this forum say that Flyboys is a good movie. Just about every post I have seen from you is nothing short of good ole American bashing. In short,I think you're nothing but a troll.
                          Do you expect anything else from FM? The threads may change, but his content is consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                            I suggest you quit watching american films then...........

WELL ........I WATCH THEM FOR THE COMIC VALUE
                            Last edited by Fighting Mick; 18 Dec 08, 03:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                              Do you expect anything else from FM? The threads may change, but his content is consistent.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X