Clear All

• Best Vietnam war movie

Hamberger Hill great movie.:thumb:

We were soldiers!!
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

We Were Soldiers
      Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Apocalypse Now - because it takes you through the whole war, in two figurative senses:

1) Commences in Saigon and shows the war from the point of view of air power, river patrols, special ops, supply, R&R and the average "grunt" in the field just trying to stay alive. Everyone gets a look-in, it's a true 360 degree view of everything that happened, in snapshot form.

2) The film starts in the "modern" era, and yet, as the boat travels up the river, it's like the crew are going back in time. Even more so if you consider the Redux version over the original. The reinstatement of the French Plantation scenes are important in that they detail some of the history of the Vietnam conflict and at the end of the film, with Kurtz, you could almost be in any era.

Dr. S.
        Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Re: Best Vietnam war movie

Originally posted by foster
          Hamberger Hill great movie.:thumb:
          Bat-21!

Cheers!

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

Hamburger Hill all the way!!!
            There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
              Apocalypse Now - because it takes you through the whole war, in two figurative senses:

1) Commences in Saigon and shows the war from the point of view of air power, river patrols, special ops, supply, R&R and the average "grunt" in the field just trying to stay alive. Everyone gets a look-in, it's a true 360 degree view of everything that happened, in snapshot form.

2) The film starts in the "modern" era, and yet, as the boat travels up the river, it's like the crew are going back in time. Even more so if you consider the Redux version over the original. The reinstatement of the French Plantation scenes are important in that they detail some of the history of the Vietnam conflict and at the end of the film, with Kurtz, you could almost be in any era.

Dr. S.
              After sitting through it twice, sober and with having a few beers in me, I just couldn't understand the last hour or so.
              http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Originally posted by dannybou
                After sitting through it twice, sober and with having a few beers in me, I just couldn't understand the last hour or so.
                I never had this problem. You've got one guy who's seen the insanity of war and it's turned him mad, and another who has seen the same things, but his sense of duty sees him through to complete his mission - although he will never be the same again.

Might not have helped however that the dialogue was written on the fly and mostly made up by Marlon Brando as he went along...

Dr. S.
                Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

I'd somehow have to split my vote.

We Were Soldiers had great action and characters in terms of straight up combat.

Apocalypse Now however wins in it's artistic expression of the war. It did a much better job of showing the insanity of war. Not to mention the fact that Apocalypse Now has one of the greatest scenes ever made in a movie. I can never think of Wagner without imagining Air Cav
                  “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

We Were Soldiers

We Were Soldiers is by far the best all around. It has the realism and the best accury for description of what went down and how the men felt. Plus it has two of my favorite actors. Mel Gibson and Samuel Elliot. And a new favorite Barry Pepper
                    Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
                      I'd somehow have to split my vote.

We Were Soldiers had great action and characters in terms of straight up combat.

Apocalypse Now however wins in it's artistic expression of the war. It did a much better job of showing the insanity of war. Not to mention the fact that Apocalypse Now has one of the greatest scenes ever made in a movie. I can never think of Wagner without imagining Air Cav
                      Actually, I can't fault your argument a single bit. I might have to change my decision...can I split my vote too?

Dr. S.

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

"Go Tell the Spartans", 1978, Burt Lancaster.

"A unit of American military advisors in Vietnam prior to the major U.S. involvement find similarities between their helpless struggle against the Viet Cong and the doomed actions of a French unit at the same site a decade before in this bitter look at the beginnings of the Vietnam war."

http://www.imdb.com
                        Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

the only thing I dont like about WE WERE SOLDIERS was the terrain was not jungle terrain like what almost all of Vietnam was.

Comment

Terrain

The terrain was described as coatal highlands, it would be basically mountainous areas.
                            Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

My vote would have to be 100% for We Were Soldiers. It was the most accurate movie about Vietnam yet. Apocalypse Now perpetuates the stereotype about Vietnam, of crazy officers and war crimes. For the fact so does Platoon, but I found Platoon more entertaining. The only part I like about Apocalypse Now is the helicopter scene. Anyway, BAT 21, as already mentioned, is also a very good movie. And you can't leave out the war scenes from Forrest Gump!
                              "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
                              "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X