X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A United Kingdom

Saw three movies this week
    The Accountant: thriller, not remarkable;
    Hacksaw Ridge: has been discussed extensively here. Glad I watched it but not the best I saw;and
    A United Kingdom: a movie about Africa with those typical wide landscapes. A costume drama,respectable, a bit virtuous even, which I considered the best of these three.

The story: Prince Seretse Khama from Botswana marries the white British girl Ruth Williams in the end of the 40s. The newlyweds have to overcome resistance from both the indigenous population (Khama's subjects) as well as from the cynical British colonial authorities. Luckily love overcomes all.

In spite of this I was entertained, moved even. Love and politics went hand in hand.
    What I saw was a balanced movie about Africa that doesn't just show dictators, genocide, poverty or corruption. Of course these are there but there is so much more to Africa, such as political leaders who love their people and who are genuinely interested in their well being.

Judge for yourself, I recommend this one

BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• `
      Ray Miland and Frankie Avalon battle post-apocalypse punks & other assorted mayhem after their hometown of Los Angeles is blown off the face of the earth by a nuclear attack shortly after they depart for a family camping trip...

" Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

• Hell or High water.

It was okay not going to watch it again.

Comment

• I just came back from "Fate of the Furious".

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Seven.
            A classic.

Comment

• Not disappointing but not as good as I was led to believe:

As with all Star Wars movies, **** poor character development. For all the build up, I could've cared less for Jyn.
              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Ghost in the Shell. The best part of that movie was the theater had a bar and I got to drink beer through the whole thing... Expensive beer, but it made the movie better...

Not impressed with the movie. The background CGI was overwhelming. It was hard to track the characters in all the clutter. I also wasn't thrilled that they repeated several scenes (with some modification but not enough) from the original animes.
                It also had the usual in your face "evil corporation" theme going. At least the Japanese, even the Russians with their variant, weren't in your face with a Social Justice message.

Comment

• Everybody Wants Some

This movie was much better than I expected.

The movie follows the members of the baseball team during the first weekend of college at a smaller SE Texas University during the Fall semester of 1980.

If you were in college during the late 70s or early 80s you should definitely watch this movie!
                  "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• War Dogs.

Comment

• 10 Cloverfield Lane starring John Goodman was a worthwhile sci fi film. The ending alone was one of the greatest sci fi scenes in film history IMO...
                      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

• TOBRUK (Czech/Slovakian 2008 collaboration)
                        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1224376/?ref_=nv_sr_2

"Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Great movie for the kind of movie it is. The family and I enjoyed it, had some laughs and heard some great music. Recommend it if you like this type of movie, especially if you like GotG 1

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Fury was on tv last night. Where is that dang thread?
                              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

• Originally posted by dmf01 View Post
                                TOBRUK (Czech/Slovakian 2008 collaboration)
                                http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1224376/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I watched that movie not really knowing what it was about going on, and was surprised about halfway through to find out I was watching an adaptation of The Red Badge of Courage. A pretty good movie too!
                                You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X