• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalin ( Original Jai Ho ) Full Movie | Chiranjeevi, Trisha, Prakash Raj

Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

• Ben Hur- The Remake

I have just had a close look at the remake of the classic Charelton Heston epic..."Ben Hur"

I must say, its an impressive piece of film making.

the action sequences are a big improvement on the original, particularly the sequence with Judah on the slave galley in the Ionian Sea. Much of the corny dialogue of the original has been fixed, and Christ comes off as being something more than just a figure that recieves amazed looks from the crowd, or awestruck attention from Judah himself.

For Christians, it's quite an inspiration, and seems to do much justice to the original book's intentions (called "Ben Hur- A Tale of Christ"), and written by Union General Lew Wallace of Grant's command and Late Arrival at Shiloh infamy.

It does seem to trail off into corn at the end, however, with a happy ending for all concerned. I might have to pick up a copy of Wallace's book to see just how close to the story it is...

All in all, for the believer or the atheist, there is something for everyone. And, the Circus Maximus is recreated in rich detail, complete with the Obelisk from the Pyramids...but somehow missing the Golden Ball that shimmered in the sunlight mentioned by Suetonius, (i think).

give this one a 'go', and sit the family in front of it for a Tale of Christ as the deeply religous Wallace intended for readers of his book.

Drusus
      Last edited by Drusus Nero; 17 Dec 16, 04:20.
      My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
      GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
      Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

• Bridge of Spies

Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
        "Bridge of Spies" I think Tom Hanks should win an Oscar. He was great.
        On Christmas Eve I saw Spielberg’s movie ‘Bridge of Spies’ with Tom Hanks, a solid Cold War flick, but it got me thinking it has a morality now.
        In times of crisis, and IMO the times we live are times of crisis, a society is inclined to rail against its own institutions. Laws are bent, rules evaded because 'emergency breaks law'.

To wit: France imposed the state of emergency since the attacks of November 2015 in Paris, which only will be lifted when Islamic State defeated, an unidentifiable spot on the horizon.
        In the US, Rule of Law, which I have been raised to regard as the cornerstone of society, is considered a safety hazard: Donald Trump has stated to temporarily deny access to the United States all Muslims, "until we know what's going on” another unidentifiable spot on the horizon.
        Disregard for the Rule of Law also seems to work the other way around e.g by the|German authorities who chose to look away after the events in Cologne now a year ago with the intention to ‘keep the peace’ with exactly the opposite effect

All this pounding weakens the Rule of Law indeed, because it is presented more and more seen as an unworldly institution that is unable to cope with all these threats which are indeed so great that now everything is permitted. Rule of Law that once was the foundation of our society is now presented as an ossified, blind, weak institution that gets in our way as it is in 'Bridge of Spies' when the whole society agrees that law should be suspended in order to get the Soviet spy on the electric chair, and only Tom Hanks keeps his sanity.

In 1957 and in 2017: when a society is threatened, when suspicion and anger set the tone, one should respect the foundations of that society, by holding firmly to the Rule of Law
        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• The pink panther strikes again.

Man Peter Sellers was a comic genius.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075066/
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Bridge of Spies.
            It was good liked the part where they told what else he did for the government.

Comment

• Not bad.
              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Locke.
                Unexpectedly good one
                http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2692904/?ref_=nv_sr_1
                "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

• Hamburger Hill.

Comment

• No Escape.

Comment

• Finally found time and place to go see Star Wars:Rogue One.

Great storytelling-type ending.

Comment

• The Martian

The Martian.

I found this science fiction Robinson Crusoe story an ode to human ingenuity, perseverance and solidarity, one of the better movies I have seen of late.
                        In spite of the fact that it is Hollywood, so one expects a happy end, I would not have been surprised if the movie had ended on a darker note.

For as far as I could judge the science and technical parts were quite plausible except for the end scenes, thought that made it spectacular, so I had no problems suspending my disbelief.
                        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• I went and saw Milla in her latest Resident Evil drama.

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Heartbreak Ridge.

One of my favourite movies.

Comment

• Watched the Spike Lee movie/mockumentary "CSA" for probably the 4th or 5th time, although I haven't watched it in several years. Pretty funny stuff. About what if the South won the Civil War - wait a second, the events that took place after the war suggest that they did win.

Comment

• I watched Inherit the Wind last night. It was the 1960 film starring Spencer Tracy.
                                "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X