This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It had it's moments:

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Mackenna's Gold

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Captain Phillips

Comment

• Originally posted by protectorian View Post
          Captain Phillips
          Don't put too many spoilers but how was it?

-------

I watched King Arthur last night. I never noticed/remembered when I was younger how they specified that Arthur and his followers were Sarmatians. Probably because I had no idea who the Sarmatians were when I was younger!
          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• I watched Ironclad last night and I must say, it was what I consider to be a "heavy" movie haha. They certainly spared little for the viewer when it came to battle and bloodshed. Which, I must assume that they were going for a bit more realism--but thankfully I will never have to find out if that's how crazy and gruesome medieval warfare was!

I thought that certain things could've been a bit better--some of the blood and such seemed perhaps overly fake, and some of the filming during the battles was too motion-blurred...but otherwise one heck of a movie.

Overall the movie seemed to be a bit more down to Earth when it came to defending the castle--not overly glorious (unless that's just me thinking in hindsight) stuff happening.
            "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

• For all the accolades, I really didn't like it all that much. So-so at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                For all the accolades, I really didn't like it all that much. So-so at best.

Don't take this as a jab at you personally, but there's always the people who don't like/don't care about whatever highly acclaimed movie/etc is all the rage--kind of like me

--Hávamál

Comment

• Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
                  Don't take this as a jab at you personally, but there's always the people who don't like/don't care about whatever highly acclaimed movie/etc is all the rage--kind of like me
                  No problem.

To prove your point, I don't think all that much about Apocalypse Now. Too long and too pretentious.

Comment

• Carny, the one with Lou Diamond Phillips. (There is another of that name with Gary Busey.)

Carny doesn't have much plot but it has fabulous makeup and special effects and creatures. Really some the best ever. One of the most disturbing is below -- but there are others that are really great. Phillips, the sheriff, is asking directions around this carnival/freak show he's checking out and this person turns around to help him -----

The tattooed man is also truly excellent and the snake guy is quite snaky himself. Watch for leopard girl and others. The giant is quite good.

But none of that is the real plot -- it's about the old Jersey Devil. I used to read about that in 19th century Mysteries of History books, and they made it EXACTLY like the old stories. It was a creature flying around taking prey, people or animals. Great movie creature and I appreciated that it was so faithful to the original stories. Anyway, they've got one at this carnival.

Guess what! It gets loose! Who'da thunk it, right? sure didn't see that coming.....

Not a great movie but I love Lou Diamond Phillips and it was a lot of fun, especially the visuals.
                    Last edited by Phebe; 24 Jan 14, 17:49.

Comment

• I also tune out gf3, but when carlitos way pops on i hang out!

Comment

• Finally got to watch Ironman 3...Wish I had time to watch it at the movie theatre when it first came out.

Now I am curious to find out how Pepper Pott wil fit in the future Ironman and Avenger movies!

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Sucker Punch

This is a superior movie.

It appeals on very many levels, and to many different groups. Both sophisticated and a no brainer, visually intense and eye candy, I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and on more levels than I care to admit.

It's superficial and deep & meaningful. I'd give it a good 4+ stars out of 5.
                            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• I watched "Prisoners" last night, about the kidnapping of two little girls and finding out who did it, involving vigilantes and torture.

Deep, though. Highly thoughtful. I supposed they'd do the usual leftwing PC stuff about how it wasn't really the guy they thought it was after all and so you shouldn't take justice into your own hands, dah-dah-dah --- but it was much more complex than that.

There is a lot to think about regarding people needing control even if all they can control is what they think happened, a solution to the mystery.

What people think is not especially relevant to anything going on, the movie says. It simply expresses their own needs. There is no control. There is no safety. At the end, you can see in their eyes that most of the people have learned that. The cop has long since learned that: it's why he has tics and why the twitching gets worse as the stress builds.

This movie is anti-Christian. That is fashionable now: it's okay to malign and sneer at Christians, especially plain country people. Showing them going bad is the favorite way. I guess Western culture is slowly ditching religion, at least anything developed in the West. Yukky to live thru, though.

The characterizations are brilliant, by all the stars. Big names in this movie, and big performances. I recommend it. You can easily fast-forward thru the short torture scenes; I did.

Comment

• I'm kind of excited because I'm seeing The Monuments Men on Sunday and it looks good.

--Hávamál

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X