Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Do you like your new weapon? It's wonderful...Try it on yourselves, not others. I told you, this tank reacts to impulses of fear. Try not to think of danger. The machine can read your thoughts..."

Comment

• Just finished watching "A Bridge Too Far" ..for the umpteenth time.
      The guys who screwed up the radios should have been shot!!!
      I think I will do some research on this to see what really happened.
      " Gentlemen , you can't fight in here! This is the War Room" :
      President Mirkin Muffley, in Dr. Strangelove.

Comment

• That would be Twilight, if you mean in theaters.

I don't even remember what kind of mindless drivel I last saw on the Boob Tube. I tend not to watch movies on television much except for some of the classics, and the last one of those was Ivanhoe.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• The Film Arts class I'm taking this term is really paying off.

We have a movie theater on campus, and in three weeks I've already seen Stagecoach, Scarface (original version), The Public Enemy, The Seachers, High Noon, and Bonnie Clyde on a HUGE screen.

Still looking foward to Battleground, Dr. Stranglelove, Double Indemnity, The Usual Suspects, and a half-dozen other great titles...
          "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• I'm jealous!
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I'm jealous!
              It's been a great class so far. It's just incredible to see these classics on a proper screen, as they should be seen.

Bonnie & Clyde was just incredible. I imagine it must have seemed almost cutting-edge in it's day.

And I had never seen The Searchers before, and it wouldn't have been the same without the huge screen. I had no idea John Wayne had so much ability, but in that movie he was truly on his game.
              "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Sounds like a cool class.

The Searchers is one of Wayne's best.
                "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                  Sounds like a cool class.

The Searchers is one of Wayne's best.
                  Yeah, the class is sweet, but it's tough. We're watching two movies a week, and writing a response paper to each. Some of the responses are comparitive, meaning we have to show the common traits of at least two films that we have viewed.

It's easy with some, but picture trying together two pages on how Scarface and The Searchers are similar.

The class is on understanding different film genre, focusing on the similarities between Cowboy, Gangster, and War movies. I'm really going to step up my film knowledge this term.

BoRG

Comment

• Any films by Hitchcock or David Lean in the class?

Two of my favorite directors. I just watched Lean's Doctor Zhivago again last weekend.

Great film!

Last edited by Captain General; 22 Apr 09, 02:26.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Any films by Hitchcock or David Lean in the class?
                      They highlight one director a year, during one term which examines films only from said director. Hitchcock is their old standby (20+ years), and is taught the most often.

They've also done Scorsese, Burton, and the Coen brothers in recent years...

I took the Hitchcock class last year. It blew me away.
                      Last edited by Paul Mann III; 22 Apr 09, 02:49.

BoRG

Comment

• Hitchcock was a Master.

I love the films of the 1960's and 1970's. This sounds like a cliche but they really don't make them like that anymore!

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Agreed. North by Northwest, To Catch a Thief, Vertigo, Notorious, Suspicion, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder...

These are some of the best movies ever made, IMHO.
                          History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                          _________
                          BoRG

Comment

• The last film I saw at the cinema, was Knowing and if I had known how bad it was going to be I would not have gone.
                            War is less costly than servitude

Comment

• Originally posted by Torien View Post
                              Agreed. North by Northwest, To Catch a Thief, Vertigo, Notorious, Suspicion, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder...

These are some of the best movies ever made, IMHO.
                              Don't forget Psycho, Rope, The Thirty Nine Steps, Marnie (Tippie Hedren was a babe...)

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Don't forget Psycho, Rope, The Thirty Nine Steps, Marnie (Tippie Hedren was a babe...)
                                I think that was Hitchcock's best contribution to the cinema...

Only using the absolute best looking leading ladies...
                                History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                                _________
                                BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X