Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Australia any good?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I saw "Australia" today.

    I enjoyed it and found it moving at times. I recommend it. Most entertaining.

    The villain, Fletcher, was a bit two-dimensional for my taste, and a few of the attack scenes of Darwin were from usual stock footage of "Tora, Tora, Tora", but that was no big deal.

    Thumbs up.
    http://www.ironbrigade.net

    Chat about anything on my board - pets, politics, whatever

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Kirasjeri View Post
      I saw "Australia" today.

      I enjoyed it and found it moving at times. I recommend it. Most entertaining.

      The villain, Fletcher, was a bit two-dimensional for my taste, and a few of the attack scenes of Darwin were from usual stock footage of "Tora, Tora, Tora", but that was no big deal.

      Thumbs up.

      OK, the wife is really on my case now about watching the movie, because of you-know-who! So, from what you said, it might not be too much of a torture for me after all.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
        OK, the wife is really on my case now about watching the movie, because of you-know-who! So, from what you said, it might not be too much of a torture for me after all.
        ..hee hee, Hugh Jackman is a great actor, and a great Aussie too.....

        Comment


        • #49
          Most of what I've heard and read puts me off the idea of seeing it and I definitely won't be paying cinema prices to do so. Might give it a look when it comes out on DVD but my expectations are low.
          "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
          Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

          Comment


          • #50
            I haven't seen it yet and I don't plan to since I think it's just an interminable 2 and a half hour tourism ad about Australia rather than being a movie. It's going crap at the box office. Shame since it was a movie that had a budget of $150 million. I wish we could have spent that money on doing a better movie set on the Western Front with a 'Gallipoli' style sort of film or similar set during the later 'cleaning up' campaigns in the Pacific during World War Two with an unknown director rather than a popular one. At least a movie telling an unknown story to the world rather than a known, cliched one. In my opinion that's what movies are for, not to paraphrase old plots and cliches. It's a waste of money.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Kittikhun View Post
              I haven't seen it yet and I don't plan to since I think it's just an interminable 2 and a half hour tourism ad about Australia rather than being a movie. It's going crap at the box office. Shame since it was a movie that had a budget of $150 million. I wish we could have spent that money on doing a better movie set on the Western Front with a 'Gallipoli' style sort of film or similar set during the later 'cleaning up' campaigns in the Pacific during World War Two with an unknown director rather than a popular one. At least a movie telling an unknown story to the world rather than a known, cliched one. In my opinion that's what movies are for, not to paraphrase old plots and cliches. It's a waste of money.
              i reckon 3RAR in Korea would be a welcome addition to that list.
              Not lip service, nor obsequious homage to superiors, nor servile observance of forms and customs...the Australian army is proof that individualism is the best and not the worst foundation upon which to build up collective discipline - General Monash

              Comment


              • #52
                With the title, it was inevitable that it would be bad.
                I knew it go bad at the box office before it came out. I mean Nicole Kidman is a terrible actor.

                Yes, Temujin 3RAR in Korea would be good.
                But why war. Australia has never liked going to war.
                Maybe something early, like 1901 federation, or even a Vietnam home front, maybe?
                'where da potato at?'
                The Irishman said during the 1845 potato famine

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by MajorSharpe View Post
                  "With the title, it was inevitable that it would be bad. I knew it go bad at the box office before it came out."
                  I too cringed at the title but I think the movie was likely to be 'bad' anyway.


                  Originally posted by MajorSharpe View Post
                  "I mean Nicole Kidman is a terrible actor."
                  I don't think she's a "terrible" actress; I'd rate her as fairly good; competent; just not great. And that's the problem IMO because considering the pay she commands and the hype she's gotten in the past, one would think it was a great actress they were raving about. What it shows IMO is that even the potent Hollywood 'bull$hit factory' has limits when it comes to 'manufacturing' greatness.
                  "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                  Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    sorry everyone for my poor spelling and grammar
                    'where da potato at?'
                    The Irishman said during the 1845 potato famine

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      ..ill tell you what, i think Major Sharpe has a fine actor on his avatar , thats for sure...

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by galland View Post
                        "..ill tell you what, i think Major Sharpe has a fine actor on his avatar , thats for sure..."
                        Yep, one of the greatest IMO.
                        "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                        Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          ...ahh, Bloefeld, welcome to Amsterdam...!

                          Comment

                          Latest Topics

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X