I refuse to watch any Ben Affleck movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I refuse to watch any Ben Affleck movie

I was checking out some channels and stumbled into Pearl Harbor the motion picture. I'm still regretting it because Ben Affleck was in that film and I made the mistake of watching his acting skills for a couple minutes. It was too much and now I'm regretting it.

The United States is a country that puzzles me. On the one hand of you want to get a decent job and make good money in a high-tech field such as IT, engineering or medicine your education and professional credentials have to be world-class. To drive a truck you have to be a first-rate driver because those 18-wheelers are huge and unwieldy.

On the other hand it's a country where G.W.Bush can be president, Ben Affleck can be a Hollywood star and Britney Spears can be a pop singer. I think this sends confusing messages to ambitious young people.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

An honest thread, no doubt. I can relate to many of these pet peeves (celebrities, Bush, etc.) myself.

I don't know what to say about today, but I fear for tomorrow and what we have done to our children ("technological addiction," stress, economic problems, etc.).
    Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

Watch Ben in any Kevin Smith movie, you won't be disapointed. Or even better, go watch Voyage of the Mimi to see him as a young lad in a PBS series.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
        I was checking out some channels and stumbled into Pearl Harbor the motion picture. I'm still regretting it because Ben Affleck was in that film and I made the mistake of watching his acting skills for a couple minutes. It was too much and now I'm regretting it.

The United States is a country that puzzles me. On the one hand of you want to get a decent job and make good money in a high-tech field such as IT, engineering or medicine your education and professional credentials have to be world-class. To drive a truck you have to be a first-rate driver because those 18-wheelers are huge and unwieldy.

On the other hand it's a country where G.W.Bush can be president, Ben Affleck can be a Hollywood star and Britney Spears can be a pop singer. I think this sends confusing messages to ambitious young people.
        The term you are looking for is egalitarian - America is like a garden where the worst weeds grow alongside the finest roses. This is the quality that tends to make us unique among nations.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
          Watch Ben in any Kevin Smith movie, you won't be disapointed. Or even better, go watch Voyage of the Mimi to see him as a young lad in a PBS series.
          I agree. Affleck is pretty good in the KSmith movies,probably his best work. Which isn't saying much.
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Affleck is no genius, but acting isn't as easy at it looks either...

Ben Affleck was in that film and I made the mistake of watching his acting skills for a couple minutes. It was too much and now I'm regretting it.

Good Will Hunting is fine film, and Affleck did quite well in it...

If you think you're better than Affleck, go try to take his place...
            Last edited by Paul Mann III; 23 Oct 08, 18:16.
            "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Affleck has done well in a number of roles; however, he is not primarily an action star, but far better in romantic comedies and in films such as the one in which he befriends the widow of the friend who died after changing airline tickets with him.

Not everyone is a Harrison Ford or a Russell Crowe. In fact, there have been times when even Harrison Ford hasn't been Harrison Ford - Mosquito Coast, for example.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Mosquito Coast was weird. It also gave my parents weird ideas about where to raise us kids.

Comment

its not just the actors fault
                  look at pantom menace
                  jakson, neason ,mc greger all good actors badly directed
                  to truely gage an actors merit you realy have to see him or her on stage
                  FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY
                  BAN ME NOW

Comment

Originally posted by ROOBARB View Post
                    its not just the actors fault
                    look at pantom menace
                    jakson, neason ,mc greger all good actors badly directed
                    to truely gage an actors merit you realy have to see him or her on stage
                    Blasphemy! You dare question the work of St. Lucas?
                    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
                      Blasphemy! You dare question the work of St. Lucas?
                      dont get me started on that one
                      FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY
                      BAN ME NOW

Comment

look at pantom menace
                        Look at the whole new star wars series!

Seriously, most movies ive come across these days fall into "cash cow" territory
                        Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we may become.

Comment

yeah Pearl Harbor sucked
                          "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
                          "

Comment

His acting is the least of the films problems

While my political bias stops me from coming to the defense of G.W Bush, it should be noted that Ben Affeck co-wrote and starred in ,with his fellow actor Matt Damon the film 'Good Will Hunting' which is considered to be one of the best films of the 90's, so he possess's at least some talent, and as for Britney Spears how is she worse than many other popular singers of the last 50 years

Comment

Ben Affleck: Good actor, but crap choices for the last few films he did. Let's not bag on the lad when there are those that love Steven Segal, Sylvester Stallone, and Arnold. They can't act.

Plus, Ben did a bang up job as a director for Gone Baby Gone.
                              Love. Where does it come from?
                              from The Thin Red Line

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X