The Forever War - Ridley Scott Returns to Sci-Fi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Forever War - Ridley Scott Returns to Sci-Fi

Ridley Scott is planning to return to the science fiction genre for the first time since Blade Runner and Alien. Fox 2000 has acquired the rights to Joe Haldeman’s 1974 novel The Forever War, which won both the 1975 Nebula Award and the 1976 Hugo Award.

The book tells the story of an interstellar war between humanity and the mysterious Tauran species, and deals with themes of the inhumanity of war and the results of time dilation space travel. The novel is also widely perceived to be based on the author’s military service during the Vietnam War.
    [...]
    FULL ARTICLE - /FILM

If they can do any justice at all to the book, I will be sure to see it!
    The book was one of my favorites from long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironwolf View Post
      If they can do any justice at all to the book, I will be sure to see it!
      The book was one of my favorites from long ago.
      Long overdue. Ridley Scott is not a bad choice.
      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Oh My God, OH MY GOD

*Running in circles in excitement*

PLEASE get this right, let's not have a farce like Starship Troopers. Scott does strike me as a good choice.
        Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Oh swell,,,you planted the seed of fear that it could turn out like Starship Troopers.
          Who am I going to get to rock me to sleep tonight. My wife just wouldn't understand.

Comment

This was a great book, and I would think Scott would not fall into the same "I am an artist" black hole the director for ST did.

Probably will be a good one to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironwolf View Post
              Oh swell,,,you planted the seed of fear that it could turn out like Starship Troopers.
              Who am I going to get to rock me to sleep tonight. My wife just wouldn't understand.
              After seeing ST I came home and sat looking shell-shocked and muttering "I can't believe they did that" until she brought me a beer

I will remain optimistic until presented with evidence that things are going off the rails.

Now, everyone chant to give R. Scott some karma - OOOOMMMMM, OOOOMMMM

Comment

Here's an interesting thought. How do you think hollywood is going to handle this one?
                If I remember correctly, at one point the main charector disovers that while he was gone the U.N. adopted an official policy promoting homosexuality as a means of population control. Later, our hero is in charge of a combat unit made of gays and lesbians that think he is a pervert for being STRAGHT!

The only director that I can think of that would tackle that one head on would be Mel Brooks!

Comment

Originally posted by Roadkiller View Post
                  PLEASE get this right, let's not have a farce like Starship Troopers.
                  That was the first thing that went through my mind when I saw the title of the thread. “They’ll just make it into another starship troopers”.
                  (It’s a good thing that Heinlein was dead when they made that movie or it would have killed him)
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by tsar View Post
                    ...(It’s a good thing that Heinlein was dead when they made that movie or it would have killed him)
                    Agreed! He allowed one of his stories to be made into a movie in the 50's or 60's and was unimpressed. He swore he would never let that happen again, and he didn't.

Someday, if we're lucky, they may make "Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers".

Comment

Originally posted by Roadkiller View Post
                      Someday, if we're lucky, they may make "Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers".
                      Personally, I'd feel a bit ripped off paying $8 for a ticket and $10-20 for snacks to see a 3 hour movie with (at most) 45 minutes of action.

Comment

Oh, I don't think it would be that bad.
                        Besides, the whole point of a movie faithful to the book would be to make you 'think' about what was going on. If all you want is a pure action flick then try 'Shoot em up'.

Comment

hope they use the graphics from the graphic novel adaptation of this great book. it's done by Marvano, a dutch comics artist. very very good!
                          "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Originally posted by piero1971 View Post
                            hope they use the graphics from the graphic novel adaptation of this great book. it's done by Marvano, a dutch comics artist. very very good!
                            here's on it:
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forever_War_(comics)

as for the actor to play the character of 25-ish Lt.Mandella as well as 40-ish col.Mandella you need someone who can look young as well as older - Di Caprio (seems a favourite of Scott recently).

i remember in early 2000, when I made money from the internet bubble (all lost since) I contact Joe H. and Marvano as well as their agent to see if I could help fund a movie, but then it's not my trade, so I dropped it. I must say that Joe Haldeman is a very nice gentleman.
                            "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

PLEASE! Di Caprio would only ruin the film, as he had countless others. Find a REAL actor.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X