The Most Historically Accurate Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Historically Accurate Movies

After 'The Greatest Historical Mistakes in Movies' thread I got wondering which films were the most accurate. Thus I created this thread, fire away gents!

PS: I know the words 'historically accurate' and 'movie' rarely go together but there's bound to be some gems out there.

The Cruel Sea
    Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

La 317eme Section (317th Platoon)
      Last edited by Boonierat; 13 Oct 08, 23:59.

Comment

Battle of Algiers
        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

12 O'clock High
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Good question...

I'll have to get back to you on this one
            Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

"Battle of Algiers", several of the actors were actually portraying themselves.

I suppose "Gettysburg" was very accurate too, but deathly dull with some of the worst acting captured on film.
              What would Occam say?

Comment

Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post

I suppose "Gettysburg" was very accurate too, but deathly dull with some of the worst acting captured on film.
                Dull? I thought alot of the acting was pretty inspiring.

I though Gettysburg was very well done too, that would've been my choice had I thought about it.
                Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

i would list its counterpart gods and generals.
                  Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
                  I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Patton 7079 View Post
                    i would list its counterpart gods and generals.
                    I put that in the 'inaccurate thread.'
                    Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

Battleground, excellent movie about the fighting around Bastogne. Almost exclusively focused on a single platoon, not a Longest Day style film. It is very well done for a war movie made in 1949.

Comment

Two personal favorites are "Gettysburg" and "Zulu", both enhanced by being filmed on the actual and in both cases unique battlefields.

Although you can pick apart later sections of it, it is tough to dispute the realism of the first 30 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan".

"Master and Commander" is probably the most accurate age of sail movie I've seen......aside from the concept that the US would ever have sold a "super frigate" to France (or any other nation).

A rather overlooked film about WW I, "The Lost Brigade", I found to be very realistic (ala "SPR") and showed this mishmash of weapons the US Army used. From that rank and file using '03 Springfields and US made '17 Enfields, even the dreadful French Chauchat light machine gun, to the officers having both the M1911A1 and the 1917 S&W in .45ACP.
                        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Das Boot was pretty accurate except for the part where he almost pulls the gun on the engineer who has a psychological breakdown; no good officer would even think of pulling an unsafe gun on another crewman when they were trying not to be detected.
                          Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

An unusual choice perhaps...

Paths of Glory (1957)

Regards

Gaz

Comment

Zulu has been the historically accurate for me in setting, action, storyline, and historical characters. The only inaccuracy noted was the Zulu shields of the attacking impi. The Zulu impi formed one of the horns in the army's attack formation, and this position required the youngest warriors to make the run to the rear of the enemy formation. In this case, they broke off from the encirclement at Isandhlwana to strike for Rorke's drift. Younger warriors had little to no white calf skins on their shields. Middle impis had mixed and the most senior and special impis had near or all white shields.

A slight order of battle error.

rna
                              Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X