Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miracle at St. Anna

Miracle at St. Anna

Miracle at St. Anna follows four black soldiers of the all-black 92nd Infantry Division who get trapped near a small Tuscan village on the Gothic Line during the Italian Campaign of World War II after one of them risks his life to save an Italian boy.[2]

The story is inspired by the August 1944 Sant'Anna di Stazzema massacre perpetrated by the Waffen-SS in retaliation to Italian partisan activity. There is also a reference to a sculpted head from Ponte Santa Trinita in Florence that acts as a macguffin.
    - Wikipedia

It's a Spike Lee joint, with a touch of military history. I'm certainly interested; anyone else?
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Nope. The review at Army Times and my own opinion of Spike Lee will keep me away.

Comment

I will see it.

Comment

The reviews of my papers didn't give it a good review, saying that wasn't something that came from Spike Lee's heart. I dont' know what qualifies that, but they also said that it was pretty cliche. I might see it, but I'm looking forward to 'Defiance' more. I can't wait until this movie comes out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIO8OI0JP50
        Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

This thread should be combined with the other thread here on the same film.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Looks interesting, not sure about Spike Lee directing thats a draw back for me.
            “Come and take it!"

Comment

Spike hates the white man, and as such I'm not going to give him any of my money.
              "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                Spike hates the white man, and as such I'm not going to give him any of my money.
                Exactly! He has a house on Martha's Vineyard and won't tip any of the white drivers. We depend on those tips to make our money. I would rather spit on him than drive him, so my boss wouldn't dare send me to get him.

Comment

Actually, I went and saw it today. It help no surprises.

I am curious as to where they filmed a couple of scenes that were supposed to take place in the town of Merryville, LA. That is less than 45 minutes from my house. I am uncertain how a jeep with four soldiers in it wandered all the way from Camp Claiborne, though. While the casting of the people in the cafe seemed well done, it also seemed a little overdone. If an all Black unit was posted at Camp Claiborne, Camp Beaureguard or Camp Polk, I don't see Black soldiers just walking into the front of an establishment and demanding service. The Officers of these men would have made it quite clear what was expected in civilian establishments. Any Black Soldier posted "Down South" knew the dangers inherent in the area. I don't see NCOs acting in the way they did, either. Maybe Spike was transferring what HE would have wanted to see done?

I also saw pretty much what I expected to see in the scenes in Italy. Beautiful country, a couple of cowardly White officers, Black officers that were worried about be called "Uncle Toms". The weapons and uniforms seemed well done. I did not see any BARs, but I might have missed them. I found it interesting that a subplot was built around an SS deserter.

It was not a bad film, I have seen much worse.

Spike had to show some Italian breasts, though. Maybe he wanted to attract a few more male viewers?

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

My brother phoned today after seeing this last night. He said it was one of the worst movies he's ever seen.

He has a degree in History and did his graduate thesis on the desegregation of the Army after WW2.
                    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Officially ordered by Truman in 1948.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X