Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The greatest historical mistakes in movies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problems here either.

I first saw Platoon in the theater when I was 18 years old. I really liked it then. Add twenty years of life experience and I now see it in a different light.
    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
      No problems here either.

I first saw Platoon in the theater when I was 18 years old. I really liked it then. Add twenty years of life experience and I now see it in a different light.
      Nominations for the top three errors in "Patton, Lust for Glory" are....
      What would Occam say?

Comment

Originally posted by Conlin View Post
        Don't forget the "mutant" that executed Xerxes' generals that had failed him, or the "Immortals" which looked like something that crawled out of hell, or the giant thing that gave Leonidas his scar (the one on his eye).
        And don't forget the Spartans in the movie wore leather speedos.

-Conlin

I was only able to see the film because my missus likes perfect bodies in leather speedos.
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
          There is a story about this...Gibson was asked by a Scotsman why there wasn't a bridge in the film of the battle, " It got in the way" Gibson replied, " Aye, that's what the English found out as well " answered the Scotsman
          While the film was grossly inaccurate, the sentiment behind it was spot on in most Scottish eyes, and therefore valid in an arty but popcorn way? Love the quote though, made me .
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I think I've heard that both Platoon and We were Soldiers are accurate by an equal number of vets...go figure. And it is ironic that Platoon with it's depiction of the soldiers is the one that is "Dedicated to the men who fought and died in the Vietnam War".
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war"...Plato

Comment

I think it depended on where you were and at what time. Hamburger Hill was fought by relatively new units that had not been in Viet Nam long. They were also unique in that they were all "volunteers" for the Airborne. Literally, they had not been in country long enough for them to lose the old NCOs that could mean the difference between open drug use and booze binges. Same thing prevailed in We Were Soldiers. Even the draftees were aware they were in an elite unit.

Platoon was later on in the war when there were few old time NCOs left and the local drug dealers all had their wares readily available. No way dopeheads like Elias would have been given stripes early on. I think the Mechanized unit shown had been in country TOO long. The Draftees were corrupted by the easy drugs. The oldtimers were burnt out and just waiting for the freedom bird ride back to the world.

If you could pick and choose the time and place, both places were credible.

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                I think it depended on where you were and at what time. Hamburger Hill was fought by relatively new units that had not been in Viet Nam long. They were also unique in that they were all "volunteers" for the Airborne. Literally, they had not been in country long enough for them to lose the old NCOs that could mean the difference between open drug use and booze binges. Same thing prevailed in We Were Soldiers. Even the draftees were aware they were in an elite unit.

Platoon was later on in the war when there were few old time NCOs left and the local drug dealers all had their wares readily available. No way dopeheads like Elias would have been given stripes early on. I think the Mechanized unit shown had been in country TOO long. The Draftees were corrupted by the easy drugs. The oldtimers were burnt out and just waiting for the freedom bird ride back to the world.

If you could pick and choose the time and place, both places were credible.

Pruitt
                Bang on the money.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Actually, Platoon takes place in late 1967 early 1968 while Hamburger Hill was in 1969.
                  "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Hmmm,,,, I'm reading a lot just plain 'bashing' and not so much on details.
                    Lets hear what is wrong and back it up with what is correct.
                    One of my favorite movie goofs was in the Green Beret.
                    At the end of the movie the sun sank slowly in to the EAST!
                    Vietnam has only one coast and it faces East. In the final scene they faced the setting sun on the beach and watched it go down.

Comment

Actually, the provinces of western Ca Mau and Kien Giang's coastline faces west.

Comment

Here is my biggest gripe about Pearl Harbor. The angle deck carrier they use for the Dolittle raid. No expense was spared, but they couldn't pay for some extra cgi to cover up the obviously modern carrier.

I was watching The Hunt for Red October the other day when I saw another tidbit that made me cringe. When Jack is on the carrier during the F-14's disasterous trap, they cut away to an obvious clip of an F9F panther splattering.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironwolf View Post
                          Hmmm,,,, I'm reading a lot just plain 'bashing' and not so much on details.
                          Lets hear what is wrong and back it up with what is correct.
                          One of my favorite movie goofs was in the Green Beret.
                          At the end of the movie the sun sank slowly in to the EAST!
                          Vietnam has only one coast and it faces East. In the final scene they faced the setting sun on the beach and watched it go down.
                          The action at MAC-V Hq was filmed at Fort Benning. We used to run past that building all the time. The American military airfield was Gray Army Airfield, also at Fort Benning. I jumped out of that airfield.

Wayne, not to mention his 'posse', was far too old to be an actual field officer in the SF, and their goofy motto of "Can do" belongs to the CB's of WWII, not the Special Forces.

Green Beret was almost cartoonish in its attempt to portray the real men of SF.
                          Last edited by Mountain Man; 12 Oct 08, 09:27.

Comment

The 1937 version of 'The charge of the light Brigade' starting Errol Flynn. In this film the charge was not a result of a command blunder but the light brigade seeking revenge on a Indian Prince who had killed British civilians during the Indian Mutiny, even though in fact the Crimean War occured before the Indian Mutiny.

Also dozens of horse were killed in the course of the filming.
                            War is less costly than servitude

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
                              The action at MAC-V Hq was filmed at Fort Benning. We used to run past that building all the time. The American military airfield was Gray Army Airfield, also at Fort Benning. I jumped out of that airfield.

Wayne, not to mention his 'posse', was far too old to be an actual field officer in the SF, and their goofy motto of "Can do" belongs to the CB's of WWII, not the Special Forces.

Green Beret was almost cartoonish in its attempt to portray the real men of SF.
                              Agreed...not the best film of the genre!
                              Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                                Here is my biggest gripe about Pearl Harbor. The angle deck carrier they use for the Dolittle raid. No expense was spared, but they couldn't pay for some extra cgi to cover up the obviously modern carrier.

I was watching The Hunt for Red October the other day when I saw another tidbit that made me cringe. When Jack is on the carrier during the F-14's disasterous trap, they cut away to an obvious clip of an F9F panther splattering.
                                Pearly Harbor also used modern destroyers in the Japanese attack scene, and was so totally historically inaccurate as to be a parody of itself.

Affleck managing to be in every major battle along with his faithful sidekick was also garbage.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X