Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The greatest historical mistakes in movies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Conlin View Post
    Braveheart.

1.-The French woman that had a relationship with William was 3 or 4 when he was fighting the English.
    2.-Kilts weren't used back then.
    3.-The Brtish knights were portraited in uniform that matched each other, when they should have been dressed in different uniform, and they didn't have coat of arms.
    4.-Archers...don't think they dressed in the same uniforms/armor.
    5.-Same thing with the footsoldiers.

-Conlin
    6) There were no Irish in the English army, the only non-English soldiers in the army were a group of Welsh archers.

Comment

Might not have been many Irish, but the English always had a number of Scots fighting with them. That is one point not brought up much. Much emphasis was on the Heavy English Horse, but the Light Horse troops were mostly from the English and Scot border regions. Scot border clans often rode with the English, at least while they were winning. The loot was better.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

A lot of good and obvious ones have already been mentioned - I've found that Braveheart and Pearl Harbour are the worst offenders - even more so considering all the awards Braveheart got. Good point about those who mentioned the lack of a bridge at the Battle of Stirling.

Its one of my fave movies of all time, but Last of the Mohicans has several major historical flaws - not least of which was the depiction of the masscare outside Fort William Henry - in the movie they gave the defeated redcoats muskets and made it into a full blown battle against swarms of Native Americans, when in reality the British were for the most part unarmed and endured several hours of terrorizing, bullying and some deaths in their camp outside the fort before the French regained control over the Indian allies and put a stop to the whole thing. Although I'm sure that was a horrific experience, it came no where close to how the film depicted it - although it did make for some terrific battle scenes!

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          Might not have been many Irish, but the English always had a number of Scots fighting with them. That is one point not brought up much. Much emphasis was on the Heavy English Horse, but the Light Horse troops were mostly from the English and Scot border regions. Scot border clans often rode with the English, at least while they were winning. The loot was better.

Pruitt
          Let us not forget that the Father of Our Nation, Robert The Bruce, served Edward 1 long and proud, almost certainly against Scots on occassions. Mind you the concept of nation was still not fully formed then, it would never have occurred to some bad lad from the Borders that he had any loyalty to a King in Edinburgh or anywhere else for that matter.
          What would Occam say?

Comment

My next candidate: Flyboys.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I'm surprized no one has mentioned Memphis Belle.What a shocker that was.

Comment

How about Platoon? From what I've heard and read, that movie was a load of crap.
                Last edited by Captain General; 08 Oct 08, 23:44. Reason: spelling
                "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

The only thing George C Scott got right was Patton's ugly teeth. Georgie actually had a high pitched, squeeky voice. Almost all the facts presented in the movie were wrong.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

He got some of the basic history right, and I admire Scott for getting his nose fixed to better portray the General. Except for the voice, his portrayal was excellent.

I think Patton was a lot better than some of the other films that have been mentioned.

How about that Rock Hudson/George Peppard POS called Tobruk? I think the only thing accurate in that whole film was that there really was a place called Tobruk.

Where Eagles Dare is often considered a great film, but it is totally lacking in historial accuracy.

There is a WWII American submarine film starring James Garner as some kind of commando spy sent to get the secrets of a Japanese rocket base - how far from reality is that one?

Comment

One of the blunders in 'Eagles dare' when in the briefing they mentioned that the American general they had to rescue was shot down whilst on a flight to Crete to meet his Russian counterpart regarding plans for D-Day, strange considering Crete had been in German hands since 1941.
                      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by Post Captain View Post
                        One of the blunders in 'Eagles dare' when in the briefing they mentioned that the American general they had to rescue was shot down whilst on a flight to Crete to meet his Russian counterpart regarding plans for D-Day, strange considering Crete had been in German hands since 1941.
                        But one blunder among many.

Comment

Originally posted by redcoat View Post
                          There is a story about this...Gibson was asked by a Scotsman why there wasn't a bridge in the film of the battle, " It got in the way" Gibson replied, " Aye, that's what the English found out as well " answered the Scotsman
                          lol
                          Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                            How about Platoon? From what I've heard and read, that movie was a load of crap.
                            That movei is actually called one of the best films on Vietnam...by veterans.

Where did you hear that?
                            Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

Originally posted by Hufflepuff44 View Post
                              That movei is actually called one of the best films on Vietnam...by veterans.

Where did you hear that?
                              Pretty much everywhere. The movie shows a totally undisciplined unit of marauding murderers, rapists, drug addicts, and alcoholics.

I've read many veterans condemn Oliver Stone's Platoon for taking every bad stereotype of troop behaviour and throwing it into the movie.

I know this type of behaviour existed. However, it was not as widespread as depicted in Platoon.

More realistic movie versions of Vietnam can be found in Hamburger Hill and We Were Soldiers.

Platoon is more of Jane Fonda's view of the American soldier in Vietnam.
                              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                                Pretty much everywhere. The movie shows a totally undisciplined unit of marauding murderers, rapists, drug addicts, and alcoholics.

I've read many veterans condemn Oliver Stone's Platoon for taking every bad stereotype of troop behaviour and throwing it into the movie.

I know this type of behaviour existed. However, it was not as widespread as depicted in Platoon.

More realistic movie versions of Vietnam can be found in Hamburger Hill and We Were Soldiers.

Platoon is more of Jane Fonda's view of the American soldier in Vietnam.
                                I can see that, but that sounds more like Apocalypse Now than Platoon. Platoon is more about losing one's innocence, not stereotypes. I can see where ur point comes from though. I thought it was a good film though.

We Were Soldiers is amazing too, and I have yet to see Hamburger Hill, but I heard that it is good.

No worries m8
                                Best regards, Hufflepuff

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X