Best war movie intro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best war movie intro?

I always like the intro from:järnkorset /Cross of Iron.

“For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Peckinpah always had a deft touch. That was a great film. Funny thing about films like that - they never get much play on the re-run circuit.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I agree, great film. Peckinpah had a knack for injecting just the right amount of horror into a film and wasn't shy about doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
        I agree, great film. Peckinpah had a knack for injecting just the right amount of horror into a film and wasn't shy about doing it.
        Imagine if Peckinpah and Kubrick had collaborated.

Comment

the most powerfull for me was Saving Privete Ryan
          "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
          "

Comment

Certainly one of the most powerful openings I have ever seen.

Comment

Here is my choice...

Simple and beautifully... BRILLIANT!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...ve&vt=lf&hl=en

Regards

Gaz

Comment

You're right! I forgot the overtly sexual opening of Dr. Strangelove, highly suggestive of our love of deadly weapons and the bomb.

Kubrick's opening sequence for 2001 was excellent, as well.

Another powerful opening sequence was presented in Grand Prix, in the original Cinerama with surround sound, now considered the standard. The use of POV camera's on the racing drivers' helmets and the quality of putting the viewer into the scene made the opening in Monaco stomach wrenching. My foot kept trying to stamp on the brake!

Comment

Going back to War movies, I'm surprised noone mentioned this one yet:

Comment

I like the "beast of War" first 5 minutes, with the afghan village quietly doing it's business and then obliterated by high-altitude bombing and attack by a company of soviet tanks. (it only was lacking the attack helicopters and apc's that would usually have joined in such an attack).

so nothing has changed in that country in 30 years...
                    "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

The intro to Apocalypse Now is one of the best!
                      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I always liked A Bridge Too Far. The woman's voice put a human 'face' on the battle.

The most powerful part of SPR for me was the end, when old Ryan colapses at the graves and then gets up and says to his wife, 'Tell me I've led a good life. That I'm a good man.' The beginning sequence with old Ryan was also very powerful for me.
                        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                          The intro to Apocalypse Now is one of the best!
                          That's particularly eerie when you think that Sheen was improvising during a depressed alchohol binge. It shows a lot of where Sheen was - nevermind the Willard character. Quite eerie that he is willing to expose so much of himself in the film.
                          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                            That's particularly eerie when you think that Sheen was improvising during a depressed alchohol binge. It shows a lot of where Sheen was - nevermind the Willard character. Quite eerie that he is willing to expose so much of himself in the film.
                            Sheen punching the mirror and cutting his hand was real. That wasn't scripted but Coppolla and Sheen decided to keep it in the film.
                            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

The opening battle from Gladiator:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X