Eastern Front Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Front Movies

I thought I would open up a thread for more Eastern Front Movies. ACG did an article and I thought I would broaden the list.

For my part I recently saw a rather haunting Russian war movie called Ivan's Childhood. The film centers on a Russian child soldier operating as a scout. The film cuts between scenes of his earlier life and his present life on the front. You quickly learn that his family was killed and he is now an orphan, and needless to say quite angry at the Germans.

The film has a surprising anti-war feel to it considering it was made in the '60s back when films were still major propaganda machines. The whole story is dark and dreary. This is not a portrayal of glorious Great Patriotic War combat so typical of the Alexander Nevsky variety. Ivan shows clear signs of PTSS and the actor does a really good and positively unnerving rendition of the "1,000 yard stare" during an artillery bombardment. His anger and sorrow are a constant reminder of the human cost of war. Although, the movie does not condemn the war; Ivan even discovers a message written by young Russian civilians about to be shot, with an exhortation to avenge them, when compared to the patriotic singing and glorious battle of Alexander Nevsky this film might as well be All Quiet on the Western Front by comparison.

A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
    I thought I would open up a thread for more Eastern Front Movies. ACG did an article and I thought I would broaden the list.

For my part I recently saw a rather haunting Russian war movie called Ivan's Childhood. The film centers on a Russian child soldier operating as a scout. The film cuts between scenes of his earlier life and his present life on the front. You quickly learn that his family was killed and he is now an orphan, and needless to say quite angry at the Germans.

The film has a surprising anti-war feel to it considering it was made in the '60s back when films were still major propaganda machines. The whole story is dark and dreary. This is not a portrayal of glorious Great Patriotic War combat so typical of the Alexander Nevsky variety. Ivan shows clear signs of PTSS and the actor does a really good and positively unnerving rendition of the "1,000 yard stare" during an artillery bombardment. His anger and sorrow are a constant reminder of the human cost of war. Although, the movie does not condemn the war; Ivan even discovers a message written by young Russian civilians about to be shot, with an exhortation to avenge them, when compared to the patriotic singing and glorious battle of Alexander Nevsky this film might as well be All Quiet on the Western Front by comparison.

Yes, this is one of my favorite movies too.
    There are many more that will leave a lasting impression, because they contain some timeless human interest stories, and very little politics.
    One of those would be

Gregorij Chuckrajs : BALLAD OF A SOLDIER
    The DVD is widely available on Amazon.com, with english subtitles.
    I could not get the englisch subtitled version make to work, so I used this clip:

Here is the link to the full version with englisch subtitles:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0zr8...7725ED40D71F51

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X