• Show
Clear All

• PatBC
    replied
    I think it will be China. Robert Heinlein did China in 1950;s

Leave a comment:

• the_redstar_swl
    replied
    My money is on A) South Americans, B) China, C) A coalition of assorted countries or D) The Russians invading the US after a depression which results in isolationism.

Leave a comment:

• Marines
    replied
    It could be done very well as a remake if the movie focuses upon the previous Cold-War premise, however, they're not doing that. Using the post 9/11 environment as a stage, I simply don't see how this production team can work any "magic" into a screenplay of any substance. Red Dawn is an instant classic, in fact, it's one of my most favorite films of all time. But this....

I can't quite picture airborne al-Qaeda, Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, Ansar al-Sunna, etc etc etc paradropping into American suberbia. Yes, I know that's a rather lame visualization, but come on. A modern day Red Dawn attack upon America utilizing known terrorist orgs, something that totally desimates the States as a whole?

Sounds like a load of bollocks too me.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Are you allowed to watch foreign films without restrictions?

Leave a comment:

• Ogukuo72
    replied
    I'm afraid we're to blame over here in Asia. We would watch anything. Films that do badly in the US usually could at least hope to recoup their budget if there's a well known name in it over here in Asia.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Sgt Ken View Post
    I liked red dawn,but some of you are right Hollywood anymore cant make a great movie i think they did to many drugs and drinking and burned out there little brains when they make a cowboy movie i keep looking for a Ford F-250 to come into town it just dose not feel like a real cowboy movie and dont stat me on Broke back mountain i misread that and thought it was a old western about some cowboys tracking the bad cows over a mountain range and when they met up with them they would have a shoot out ,BOY WAS I WRONG,i liked movie,s like Lonely are the Brave with Kirk Douglas in it and the only thing he loved was his horse and not like them boys in Broke back mountain
    I agree totally about Humpback Mountain. What a total piece of crap.

Eastwood still knows how to make a Western, while the remake of 3:10 To Yuma shows that Hollywood is capable of getting it right when they put their minds to it.

But is it Hollywood's fault - they are, after all market driven - or is it the audiences themselves?

Next up for discussion: The Evils Of Sequels.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
    You mean American Cold War movies and such? Sure! Didn't I just imply I liked The Beast? I also like The Day After, Wargames, Full Metal Jacket, Rambo 1....(but not 3)...lots more! Invasion USA is funny as hell....I'm about to see Dr. Strangelove....
    No, you plainly lumped it in with the rest as a product of "F. Hollywood".

Leave a comment:

• PatBC
    replied
    Wow but let me guess, this time it will be Russians with pictures of Putin on the flags???? WOW this is sad.

F. Hollywood!
    You are not very up on current opinion are you. It will be either Chinese or Muslims. Hollywood does not consider Russia a military threat anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Sgt Ken
    replied
    I liked red dawn,but some of you are right Hollywood anymore cant make a great movie i think they did to many drugs and drinking and burned out there little brains when they make a cowboy movie i keep looking for a Ford F-250 to come into town it just dose not feel like a real cowboy movie and dont stat me on Broke back mountain i misread that and thought it was a old western about some cowboys tracking the bad cows over a mountain range and when they met up with them they would have a shoot out ,BOY WAS I WRONG,i liked movie,s like Lonely are the Brave with Kirk Douglas in it and the only thing he loved was his horse and not like them boys in Broke back mountain

Leave a comment:

• Emil_G
    replied
    Well yeah of course there was anti-Russian propaganda and McCarthyism to a massive scale. You were a kid back then, I'll give you a pass for Red Dawn.

There was some anti-American propaganda in the USSR too, sure, but really without spite or bitterness of things like "Ruskies" "kill 'em all and let god sort em out" type attitudes, etc. Communist propaganda always made sure to separate the people from the government. However when I was in school it was replaced by friendship propaganda since it was already the late 80's.

Leave a comment:

• Siberian HEAT
    replied
    The Russians weren't a serious threat in 1984 either. The Cold War was just a tragic global paranoid exchange of "let go! no you let go! not until you do!".
    You may be right about the Russians not being a "serious" threat, but society in 1984 made the Russians into a major perceived threat. One of my most vivid memories from that period was being in school (8th grade) and our teacher took a survey of the class something along the lines of "what do you fear the most" and a majority of people put nuclear war. This was when the doomsday clock was big news, scientists like Carl Sagan were estimating how many times over we could collectively destroy the Earth, and paranoia in general had gripped us. When I saw Red Dawn it seemed totally plausible to me.

If they made the movie today I'm just not sure what they could use as the boogy men. In fact the lifesaver of the US in that movie was none other than....China! Would that be the case if the movie was made today, or would it be Chinese paratroopers dropping from the sky???

I don't expect much from this project. Everything that was unique about that movie has been done dozens of times since then. And, I hate the resources Hollywood squanders on remakes...but it is what America demands so who is really to blame?

Leave a comment:

• Emil_G
    replied
    Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
    Have there been any movies you did like?
    You mean American Cold War movies and such? Sure! Didn't I just imply I liked The Beast? I also like The Day After, Wargames, Full Metal Jacket, Rambo 1....(but not 3)...lots more! Invasion USA is funny as hell....I'm about to see Dr. Strangelove....

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    The Russians weren't a serious threat in 1984 either. The Cold War was just a tragic global paranoid exchange of "let go! no you let go! not until you do!".

Red Dawn is one of the worst movies ever made, it only is popular because it veers into the "so bad it's good" category.

One of the makers of Red Dawn actually also directed "The Beast", a controversial movie from 1988 which actually portrays Russians as semi-real human beings, designed in a way to be relatable to by Americans.

That's F. Hollywood!
    Have there been any movies you did like?

Leave a comment:

• ChrisF1987
    replied
    Should be Islamics or an invasion from Mexico
    If that was the plot then I would imagine it would be a huge factor behind making people aware of how poorly secured our country really is and why there is still much much work that needs to be done to secure our borders, ports, etc.

I hope they do something along those lines. It would be nice to see Holly wod actually do something positive.

Leave a comment:

• Emil_G
    replied

Red Dawn is one of the worst movies ever made, it only is popular because it veers into the "so bad it's good" category.

One of the makers of Red Dawn actually also directed "The Beast", a controversial movie from 1988 which actually portrays Russians as semi-real human beings, designed in a way to be relatable to by Americans.

That's F. Hollywood!
    Last edited by Emil_G; 10 Jul 08, 12:34.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X