Thoughts on The Patriot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
    . . . . My problem with The Patriot is not with the historical inaccuracies. I am insulted by the melodramatic chords that are plucked to force emotions on the audience. Nothing in the movie is subtle. You are bludgeoned with clichéd sentiments. This is typical of our modern blockbusters. Movies have been dumbing down for decades now and the cash flow shows that Hollywood's lack of respect for the intelligence of its clientele is well founded. Every antagonist must be totally evil and every protagonist must be wronged beyond human endurance. . . . .
    Setting aside the jaw-dropping historical inaccuracies for a moment, it was The Patriot's cheap melodrama that drove the final nail in this film's coffin. The swell of violins during Heath Ledger's death scene, or again during the climactic single combat between Mel Gibson and Jason Isaacs is nothing less than manipulative pulp. It's a death scene, or a final duel between good and evil. I get it. The light sabre duels in Star Wars were less overwrought. After a century plus of film-making, a little more subtlety and sophistication is more than in order; it's owed us. If I come across as testy, I tend to get that way when second-rate story-tellers go for the amateurish emotional string-pluck. It's manipulative, and it's cheap.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I did enjoy the 'action' scenes tho... regardless of the inaccuracies and emotional tugs.
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X