Watchmen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watchmen?

Anybody watching HBO's Watchmen? What do you think about it?

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

As someone who've never read a Watchmen comic or watched the original movie, I like the show a lot. Weird is a good word to describe the show for someone so uninformed on the Watchmen universe. I'll stick with the show.

But I'm more excited for another HBO show, His Dark Materials. I actually think this is better than Watchmen. Have you watched His Dark Materials?
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I have watched one episode. I liked the kid in Logan.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
        I've seen 4 episodes so far.

I like the actors, and script. It is well produced. Don't like the musical background, even though I like most of songs used. I went in without reading what it was about, and it was better for it.

I've liked Regina King since The Big Bang Theory, and she is a definite plus, as is Tim Nelson, from O Brother..
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Started watching Watchmen under the assumption that it was gonna be as good as the movie, which it is not. It seems to be ok so far though. His Dark Materials I find somewhat boring. Since we are on the subject of Sci-fi I suggest taking a look at the Mandalorian and See as well. Both are interesting.
          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
            I felt the first part of the first episode was way to divisive, possibly anti American as well. I just wonder what modern day Protestant white Americans thought of that opening scene of the 1st episode. That opening scene shows whites going nuts committing all sorts of crazy acts during the Tulsa race riot but why did the scene not show the whites and blacks of Tulsa that wanted unity?

Other then that I admit Im halfway through the 2nd episode and the show is interesting. I just hope HBO puts up a show that is not divisive... HBO is do for a tale from the middle ages celebrating the round table spirit.

Btw interesting to see Don Johnson back it at! Hes looking good for his age.
            Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
            Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

If you are not familiar with the comics (like me), I strongly suggest you read a recap after each episode. I would be completely lost without them. I like the series so far, I am on episode 6. The acting is good by a very strong cast of HBO stalwarts. Unfortunately, Don Johnson does not last long. Regina King and Jean Smart are amazing as adversaries. It has some aspects that remind you that the original authors must have been on drugs. How else to explain a giant squid being dropped on NYC, killing millions? Be warned that the creator's intention is to tackle our current problems like white supremacy groups and unreliable information coming from the government and media. The show does have an agenda, but it can still be entertaining if you refuse to take offense.

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                If you are not familiar with the comics (like me), I strongly suggest you read a recap after each episode. I would be completely lost without them. I like the series so far, I am on episode 6. The acting is good by a very strong cast of HBO stalwarts. Unfortunately, Don Johnson does not last long. Regina King and Jean Smart are amazing as adversaries. It has some aspects that remind you that the original authors must have been on drugs. How else to explain a giant squid being dropped on NYC, killing millions? Be warned that the creator's intention is to tackle our current problems like white supremacy groups and unreliable information coming from the government and media. The show does have an agenda, but it can still be entertaining if you refuse to take offense.
                Yeah too bad Don Johnson exited early. I will say I think Jeremy Irons is great in this show. Irons character is known as the so-called master. I’m trying to figure out who Jeremy Irons character is working for is he some sort of a Member of the third Reich? It seems as if we are in an alternate Timeline in watchmen and I’m wondering who are the Communists in the show? One of the episodes showed these guys with the sort of flying machines and they called them selves communist and I thought that was interesting.

And good point about the recap because I have not read the comic book associated with this TV series and it seems as if the TV series is following multiple storylines. And I assume one can find these episode recaps either online or on the HBO demand screen?
                Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 05 Dec 19, 15:10.
                Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Just watched the last episode. I would say the series is more interesting than entertaining. Worth watching twice imho.

Regina King and Jeremy Irons were the two stand out actors, worthy of awards.
                  How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                  Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                    the original "Watchman" by Alan Moore is one of the most complex, best-written and artistically illustrated graphic novels of all time. It is a self-contained story and well structured.

The other Watchman stories were spin-offs by other writers- more like fanfiction. This includes the current show. Overall, the show strikes me as being loosely related to the source material and not sharing the same essence and overall central themes/intent. Eg. I cannot connect Ozymandias with Jeremy Iron's version of the character.

Comment

As someone who loves the comic and has followed Mr Moore's scribblings
                      i hated the the movie as much as I tried to love it; watchmen is a graphic novel in the same way naked lunch is a novel
                      I.e. not to be made in to movie or a
                      ​​​​​​computer game or what ever merch you care to spaff at it .
                      ill be giving the t.v. show a miss.

if you love the film or t.v. show don't read the comic it will spoil the former
                      FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY
                      BAN ME NOW

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X