• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
    ON SET - What movie?

DWaByHmWsAAcUqs.jpg
    The Train!
    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

• Originally posted by Trung Si View Post

The Train!
      I think your right...…….< > acting as the final judge...…...

Comment

• BACK-STORY - Glory

“Glory” was inspired by screenwriter Kevin Jarre’s viewing of Augustus Sainte-Gaudens’ memorial to the 54th Massachusetts Regiment in Boston. His research relied on the letters of Robert Gould Shaw, Lay This Laurel by Lincoln Kirstein, and One Gallant Rush by Peter Burchard. Edward Zwick (“Courage Under Fire”) directed with a limited budget of $18 million. Shelby Foote (of Ken Burns’ “Civil War” fame) was the technical advisor. Morgan Freeman took a pay cut to appear in the movie and was determined to be a part of the enhancing of African-American history. The movie was critically acclaimed, but only a modest box office success ($27 million). It won three Academy Awards – Best Supporting Actor (Denzel Washington), Cinematography (Freddie Francis), and Sound Mixing. It was nominated for Art Direction and Film Editing.

Comment

• TRIVIA - The Sea Hawk

1. This was the tenth collaboration between director Michael Curtiz and Errol Flynn.They made a total of twelve although they despised each other.

2. The movie was originally intended to be an adaptation of Rafael Sabatini’s novel, but it actually has little to do with the book and is more based on the adventures of Sir Francis Drake.

3. Queen Elizabeth’s rousing speech was aimed at the British audience that was in WWII when the movie came out.The line about the world not belonging to one man was a reference to Hitler.However, the studio insisted that dialogue aimed at American intervention be toned down or removed.

4. Academy Award nominations for Art Direction, Original Score, Sound Recording, and Special Effects.

5. The costumes were reused from the previous year’s “The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex”.

6. A huge sound stage was constructed that included a large water tank that held two full-sized sailing ships in twelve feet of water.

7. Flora Robson also played Elizabeth in “Fire Over England”.

8. One of Churchill’s favorite films.

Comment

• WHAT MOVIE? hail-the-conquering-hero-4.png?w=584.png

Comment

• QUOTE - “Out here, due process is a bullet!” — Col. Mike Kirby, “The Green Berets” (1968)

2296_1.jpg

Comment

• FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION - STEEL HELMET

“Steel Helmet” was the first movie about the Korean War. It was released during the war in 1951. It was directed by WWII veteran Samuel Fuller. He also wrote and produced the film. It is a classic B-Movie which cost only $100,000. Fuller used a plywood tank and 25 UCLA students as extras. It made $6 million. The movie was “dedicated to the U.S. infantry”.

The movie opens with the survivor of a North Korean prisoner execution (his steel helmet had deflected the kill shot) crawling from the site with his hands tied. Sgt. Zack (Gene Evans) is freed by a Korean orphan who he dubs “Short Round” (William Chun). Zack is a racist who refers to Short Round as a “gook”, but he lets him tag along. They meet up with a black medic named Thompson (James Edwards) and it turns out Zack is an equal opportunity racist. The trio runs into a patrol led by Lt. Driscoll (Steve Brodie) who Zack hates and disrespects. The three go off on their own, but return to rescue the patrol from an ambush by snipers. This is a good scene although it was obviously shot on a sound stage.

The unit moves on to establish an observation post in a Buddhist temple. We have a typical heterogeneous unit including the black medic, grizzled sergeant, hick, conscientious objector, the quiet guy, the by the book officer, etc. Fuller can be excused for wanting his characters to represent the variety of the U.S. Army. Hiding in the temple is a Commie who knifes the quiet guy while the others sleep. They search the temple and Zack captures him. He turns out to be a Major who speaks English which comes in handy as he tries to persuade the minorities to switch sides. First he works on Thompson by pointing out the mistreatment of blacks in America. When this does not work, he reminds the Nisei Tanaka (Richard Loo) of the internment of Japanese-Americans in WWII. This was the first reference in a movie to this shameful episode in American History. Kudos to Fuller for rattling the cage.

The Reds figure out that the temple is a forward observation post that is raining artillery fire on them. Fuller uses stock combat footage from WWII that does not blend well with the film. The enemy attacks in swarms. The movie shifts to a “who will survive” mode.

This is one gritty film, which is saying a lot for a movie made at a time that grit could not be combined with graphic. In some ways it reminds me of “When Trumpets Fade” with its anti-hero main character. Zack is a great character. How rare to anchor a war from this time period on a dislikable protagonist. Evans probably did the best acting of his career. The studio had pushed for John Wayne, but Fuller stuck to his guns (and his budget). The rest of the cast are B-Movie actors that rose above the class. Edwards and Loo are particularly strong. Both characters could not have existed accurately in a WWII movie. However, the Korean War-era Army was integrated.
                51P%2BOE1aW5L._SX425_.jpg

Comment

• ON SET - What movie? celebrating-olivia-de-havillands-25th-birthday-on-the-set-of-they-died-with-their-boots-on-1941.png?w=924.png

Comment

• They Died With Their Boots On?

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• c2d7418303d555efc7c0d60e182b8d0d.png

Comment

• BACK-STORY - Wings

“Wings” was a movie that was loaded with firsts. First aerial combat movie. First male kiss. First Best Picture (and the only silent movie until “The Artist”). It set the template for future air combat movies. The director was William “Wild Bill” Wellman (“Beau Geste”, “The Story of G.I. Joe”, “Battleground”) who had been a pilot with the Lafayette Escadrille in WWI. He had three confirmed kills, survived a crash landing that left him with a limp, and was awarded the Croix de Guerre. Sadly, he is one of the few directors who were not even nominated for his Best Picture efforts (tell that to Ben Affleck). The movie was filmed at Kelly Field in San Antonio with full cooperation of the U.S. military. The planes provided were mainly Thomas-Morse MB-3s and Curtiss PW-8s. The German fighters were played by Curtiss P-1 Hawks. One stunt flier broke his neck in a crash and another was a fatality.

Comment

• TRIVIA - The Man Who Would Be King

1. In the novella, the narrator was anonymous.The movie makes him Rudyard Kipling.

2. John Huston was a huge Kipling fan from childhood when he was bedridden and read all of his works.He wanted to make the movie since the 1950s.Originally he envisioned the two leads to be Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart, and then Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas, and then Richard Burton and Peter O’Toole, and then Robert Redford and Paul Newman.

3. Huston wanted a native-looking actress to play Roxane and was complaining to Michael Caine at a dinner with Caine’s wife Shakira.They both looked at Shakira, who was from Asia, and had a brainstorm.

4. The movie was nominated for Oscars for Art Direction, Writing, Costume Design, and Editing.

5. Sean Connery’s favorite role.

Comment

• WHAT MOVIE?

thecruelsea1.jpg

Comment

• Err the cruel sea?
                              ​​​​​​
                              FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY
                              BAN ME NOW

Comment

• "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the very blanket of freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say thank you, or grab a weapon and stand a post. Either way I don't give a **** what I think your entitled too."

Jack Nicholson - A Few Good Men

54d45b11e2041_-_nypdhires.jpg?resize=480:*.jpg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X