Actors cast contrary to their ethnic or national identity identity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

I can think of two reasons for that: 1) British actors can actually act; 2) Britons are so naturally amoral that playing ancient debauched Romans isn't really a stretch for them.

Rimshot

. . . .
    third reason

We can remember having an Empire which makes it easier for method actors
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

More great tribe of Slovenia ....
      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Last edited by marktwain; 10 Jul 19, 13:12. Reason: Slovakomexican, but the bohemian palace looks real...

Comment

I can think of two reasons for that: 1) British actors can actually act; 2) Britons are so naturally amoral that playing ancient debauched Romans isn't really a stretch for them.

Rimshot

Don't you just hate it though when white guys try to play black guys.

tryin' to play white guys tryin' to play black guys . . . .
          No reason for it being inherently wrong. For hundreds of years before political correctness white actors would play Othello.
          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

third reason

We can remember having an Empire which makes it easier for method actors
            So are you saying that Laurence Olivier's cultural memory of the British Empire inspired him when his ancient Roman character seduced male and female slaves, took in gladiatorial contests, and staged mass crucifixions?

So that Stanislovski Method is more powerful than I realized -- and the British Empire was a whole lot more rockin' than we could have ever guessed.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

So are you saying that Laurence Olivier's cultural memory of the British Empire inspired him when his ancient Roman character seduced male and female slaves, took in gladiatorial contests, and staged mass crucifixions?

So that Stanislovski Method is more powerful than I realized -- and the British Empire was a whole lot more rockin' than we could have ever guessed.
              So Slick Meister, do ya like gladiator movies?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
              Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

the man's a born anglophile....a StJohn'sKnight of Malta....

and a biplane Buff...
                and.....
                Last edited by marktwain; 11 Jul 19, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post

Thank you Capt Oveur.

And that brings us 'round back again the the OP: who ever heard of an old white lady talkin' jive?

I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

[
                    Well if one looks at some of the British Nabobs in 18th century India who lived a Maharajah lifestyle with concubines, etc etc. Of course the Victorians put a stop to that sort of thing!

In reality apart from the occasional debauched emperor the Romans were on the whole somewhat censorious of loose living - that was what barbarians did.The Victorians had a dilemma. It was rather nice to be able to compare the British Empire with the Roman one - but the Roman Empire had fallen! So it became general to blame the fall of the Roman empire on debauchery - something the upstanding Victorians would never indulge in - oh dear me no. Mind you it never seems to have done Flashman any harm
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                      Well if one looks at some of the British Nabobs in 18th century India who lived a Maharajah lifestyle with concubines, etc etc. Of course the Victorians put a stop to that sort of thing!
                      Before or after the foundation of the Hellfire Club?

It didn't harm Flashman because he was a fictional character in a book.

As for debauchery, the stern Royal Navy was founded on rum, sodomy and the lash.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Henry Fonda played a Mexican in Alfred Hitchcock's
                        wait for it!
                        The wrong man!
                        BE PURE! BE VIGILANT! BEHAVE!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          The ultimate in bad casting: John Wayne as Genghis Khan...

Susan Hayward didn't even bother having her eyebrows taped up, but at least she dressed in authentic Mongolian maiden's garb...

Oy oy, Jehovah! How did you permit such a violation of the 13th commandment!?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Atkins View Post
                            T My guess is that Mickey Rooney appreciated The Dukes performance.

mr-yunioshi.jpg
                            There must have been NO Asians available in the US in 1961. What were they going for with Mickey Rooney's performance in Breakfast at Tiffany's? Was he trying to act that badly?
                            "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Before or after the foundation of the Hellfire Club?

It didn't harm Flashman because he was a fictional character in a book.

As for debauchery, the stern Royal Navy was founded on rum, sodomy and the lash.
                              Not as much sodomy as Churchill claimed- although it made a cute Churchillian statement.
                              Actually homosexuality was punishable by death, or being flogged around the fleet,which came to the same thing.
                              So if it were to be performed it had to be done discretely: not easy in a crowded warship.
                              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

Not as much sodomy as Churchill claimed- although it made a cute Churchillian statement.
                                Actually homosexuality was punishable by death, or being flogged around the fleet,which came to the same thing.
                                So if it were to be performed it had to be done discretely: not easy in a crowded warship.
                                According to The Wooden World an excellent anatomy of the late 18th Century British Navy it was effectively non existent

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X