Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death of Stalin

Just saw it the other night.

It is NOT a documentary. Many of the characters mentioned did not hold the positions noted at the time of Stalin's death. What this film does do well is at least take a snapshot of the state of schizophrenic unreality that was the normal during Stalin's reign. That was probably best exemplified by the sniveling self-contradictory ideologue Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Molotov, played with extraordinary spineless by Michael Palin. All in all, The Death of Stalin was both entertaining, and frightening.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

I somehow brought myself to watch the film and I was entertained. I can see how some Russians would be against the film but many Russians and Americans take no issue poking fun at themselves. And I have to say wrt The Death of Stalin I think it was one of Steve Buscemi's best ever performances in playing Khrushchev.
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      Just saw it the other night.

It is NOT a documentary. Many of the characters mentioned did not hold the positions noted at the time of Stalin's death. What this film does do well is at least take a snapshot of the state of schizophrenic unreality that was the normal during Stalin's reign. That was probably best exemplified by the sniveling self-contradictory ideologue Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Molotov, played with extraordinary spineless by Michael Palin. All in all, The Death of Stalin was both entertaining, and frightening.
      It's meant to be a black comedy

BTW Molotov was always scared of Stalin. When he visited Berlin in Dec 1940 for talks he wouldn't use the telephone and spoke only in very guarded terms to his own aides in case the phone or the room was bugged - not by the Gestapo etc but by Soviet agents who would report his conversations back to Stalin.
      Last edited by MarkV; 20 Feb 19, 04:55.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X