No announcement yet.

Vikings Season 5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been watching it for while now, and I enjoy it. Somehow it brings a personal viewpoint to thole Viking Era scene. It's grim, gritty and bloody, like the times, and well done production-wise.

My only negative comment would have to be that I seriously doubt that Viking women looked like that!
    And, of course, historically they were only around five feet tall or so, but not much can be done abut that, even with CGI.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

IMHO, the show dropped significantly in quality in 5A and 5B but it's still the only show worth watching until Game of Thrones.
      Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
      Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
      Barbarossa Derailed I & II
      Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
        Anybody watching?

thoughts?
        I've been watching it, sorta. My younger son likes it, I've been recording on PVR, we watch and get caught up when he's able to visit. I think the show's lost its way in some respects, and the budget's been cut; Floki and his lot in Iceland have been dragging on forever; I like Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Heahmund is a historical figure but I don't "get" him in this show, and this Magnus thing seems contrived. I've been meaning to get back to "The Last Kingdom", although I find I often confuse the two shows??
        Last edited by Marmat; 14 Jan 19, 12:06. Reason: spelling
        "I am Groot"
        - Groot

Comment

I'm with Marmat: the Iceland saga is like the worst season of Survivor ever.

I enjoy Ivar the Boneless, but otherwise it's just 'OK'. The combat scenes are poor; the shield war was the method of warefare in this period, not the wild melee (although the latter did occur on occasion).

I've found the Last Kingdom on Amazon after following the books for years; that easily trumps Vikings.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

***Spoiler warning

There should be something very surprising about the Iceland arc. The director has commented that it is intended to build up to something big, possibly even supernatural.

Floki was predicted by the Seer to be the next Seer- now the Seer is dead.

Also, neither Harald nor Bjorn trust each other and are playing games. They may betray each other after the alliance. Also, the Gunhild woman is an opportunist that aims at becoming queen.

Comment

Floki was predicted by the Seer to be the next Seer- now the Seer is dead.
              Given that he seems to do nothing but wander around looking surprised by current events, that doesn't seem to be a good fit.

Also, neither Harald nor Bjorn trust each other and are playing games. They may betray each other after the alliance. Also, the Gunhild woman is an opportunist that aims at becoming queen.
              The show has as many betrayals, twisted romances, and shady family maneuvers as a soap opera. I realize they haqve to keep the plot moving, but you need a score card to keep track of who is doing what to who. There are characters who have changed sides so many times I don't think even they know who they're fighting for.

Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

In 5A, Floki either hallucinates (or is told by the Gods) that he will die in Iceland.

The Seer is supposed to be someone who is "in the space" between life and death.

There is supposed to be a surprise in episode 19

https://www.reddit.com/r/vikingstv/c...3_episodes_of/

Comment

I have watched a lot of the shows. Some are definitely better than others. I consider it a Historical Romance and not a serious History Drama. There should be more ugly people. The Battles should be more true to history as well. I love Lagertha to death, but there is no way a Farmwife looks so good at her age!

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    I have watched a lot of the shows. Some are definitely better than others. I consider it a Historical Romance and not a serious History Drama. There should be more ugly people. The Battles should be more true to history as well. I love Lagertha to death, but there is no way a Farmwife looks so good at her age!

Pruitt
                    It's tough to find toothless actresses.

Yeah, everyone is healthy, clean, and has a full set of choppers. And there's no rushes covering the floors. But the ships aren't bad.

Comment

In 5A, Floki either hallucinates (or is told by the Gods) that he will die in Iceland.

The Seer is supposed to be someone who is "in the space" between life and death.

There is supposed to be a surprise in episode 19

https://www.reddit.com/r/vikingstv/c...3_episodes_of/
                      He still seems pretty clueless.

The northmen were a deadly scourge during this period, and very nearly turned England into a captive state. This show seems to be heading to a point where the last two Vikings kill each other.

Alfred should be setting up the bugh system that finally broke the northmen soon, but as it is, he won't have to because they're too busy killing each other.

Comment

The show has quite poor historical accuracy- its emphasis is on effective and entertaining storytelling , action, & drama.

The director has commented something along the lines that if he was making an accurate show that the audience would be in the thousands- with his approach he reached millions.

Lagethera is supposed to be an old woman but Hirst has not aged her. It is notable that he has not aged many of the actors or barely at all. Harald is supposed to be significantly older. Judith is not aged much. Aslaug was never aged while she was alive.

This makes things odd, like Lagethera's son Bjorn looking older than her and Judith looking like Alfred's older sister.

On a side note the Gunhild woman is an ex-Icelandic olympian (swimmer) and is 6 foot 2 inches tall! The woman that played Aslaug was a top fashion model- also very tall, probably around 6' foot.

Travis fimmel was a top male model circa 2000 (Ragner)
                        Last edited by Cult Icon; 15 Jan 19, 01:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

The northmen were a deadly scourge during this period, and very nearly turned England into a captive state. This show seems to be heading to a point where the last two Vikings kill each other.

Alfred should be setting up the bugh system that finally broke the northmen soon, but as it is, he won't have to because they're too busy killing each other.
                          I believe that the Seer's prophecy (of Ragnorok) and "chaos, calamity, and death" for the Vikings hints at the triumph of the Christians as the Viking destroy each other in civil war. Ivar is supposed to suffer a terrible fate, perhaps defeat and death. (according to the Seer)

This show has already completed filming. The final season is Season 6 with 20 episodes. Hirst has moved on to produce another series about the Vikings.

Comment

history lesson on Alfred the Great and the "Sons of Ragner":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbLLsknQI5Q

-final victory for Alfred- probably what S6 will focus on.

Comment

In my opinion in the last two seasons Vikings is going downhill, simply because they are trying to milk the series adding more and more convoluted and unlikely plot twists. For instance the subplot of the capture of bishop Heahmund, the warrior priest who suddenly gets smitten by Lagartha and fights at her side. It seems so banal and unlikely. The costumes are sometimes ridiculous, like the panoply of the Saxon warriors. In reality the professional soldiers wouldn't have looked much different from the Vikings, while the rest were just badly equipped peasants pressed into service. Moreover after the death of Ragnar and Helga I cannot see any likeable viking character with the exception of Floki. They all seem a bunch of bloodthirsty self-centered ruffians and psychopaths, including the feminist heroine Lagartha. On the other side I recently watched the 3rd season of The Last Kingdom and I found it better than the previous ones. Despite the lower budget, I'd rather recommend TLK3 to V5.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X