Arrival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrival

Watched Arrival last night, and it was well done and fascinating, centered around the issues concerning communicating with an alien race, when initially there is not even a common method of communication. (We use sounds and writing - they use visual symbols, each one of which is a complete statement by itself.)

Finishes with a thought-provoking question for the audience. Altogether, an excellent film.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

This movie was politics first and foremost, leftist ideology embedded in a common Science Fiction story line utilized a hundred times prior. The overt swipes at both FOX News and Rush Limbaugh combined with the promotion of the liberal "mind-numbed robot Conservative idiots" trope were the central take-away messages, as opposed to any story of overcoming communication barriers. The Star Trek the Next Generation episode "Darmok" was a much more effective use of that plot device, aside from being much more enjoyable to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
      This movie was politics first and foremost, leftist ideology
      I totally agree. I remember the line (paraphased), 'you don't just start throwing equations at them.' Er, that is exactly what you do (instead of throwing ENGLISH words.) What nonsense.
      ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
      2) Enjoy playing it
      3) Enjoy sharing it
      4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

I'm surprised that I'm the odd man out this time, but I weren't those political messages accurate in the context of the film? And how much of the disappointment is due to the lack of sex and overt violence so common in almost all films today? Be honest.

There has been a lot of discussion and debate on the various science channels recently as to what the exact impact of First Contact would be on the world and the societies of today. The majority opinion is that Mankind would not survive the psychological impact of discovering that science and religion and government had all been wrong, not to mention lying, all the time previously. Of course, as an agnostic pragmatist I don't suffer from that narrow-mindedness and mental fragility. I accept that we cannot be the only form of intelligent life n an entire cosmos.

Out of curiousity, what were your answers to the final question posed: If you could know your life from beginning to end beforehand, would you still want to live it?

In the film, the linguist knew that having a child guaranteed losing it to a rare genetic disorder, but she chose to go ahead anyway. Was she right to do that, or was she wrong for putting herself ahead of the truncated life-span of her daughter? That seems to me to be a very egocentric view. How do you feel about it?

I do feel that Forrest Whitaker needs to retire. His performance was wooden, to say the least.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Out of curiousity, what were your answers to the final question posed: If you could know your life from beginning to end beforehand, would you still want to live it?
          As for me, I don't mind concerning what already has happened to me, but it'd be nice to have more info about present and possible future to make more appropriate decisions.
          Last edited by dmf01; 08 Jan 19, 15:56.
          "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X