Nightflyer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Watched another episode last night - totally predictable except for the "revelation" that the captain of this undermanned and poorly built ship is a psychotic Mama's boy. Totally agree with Rimmer that crew selection is a huge oxymoron with this crowd, and why do they keep referring to it as a "colony ship" when it has minimal crew, minimal passengers and ZERO "colonists"?

Small wonder Martin changed over to writing fantasy. He hasn't got what it takes to write realistic science fiction.
    Martin is just an executive producer, one of nine. The show is written by others, based on a 1987 script (written by someone else) that was based on one of Martin's early works.

So Martin's involvement is because he owned the rights, and for the use of his name.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Martin is just an executive producer, one of nine. The show is written by others, based on a 1987 script (written by someone else) that was based on one of Martin's early works.

So Martin's involvement is because he owned the rights, and for the use of his name.
      It's based on his novella from 1980, so it's based on his work, and the network is giving him all of the credit for making of this cliched POS. One must give credit where credit is due.

This may have been ground-breaking in 1980 - I seriously doubt it - but it's worn out and outdated by today's standards, and not all that new, either. Deux a Machina was old hat even in the 80's. This is just a sad attempt to cash in on Martin's rapidly fading fame.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

It's based on his novella from 1980, so it's based on his work, and the network is giving him all of the credit for making of this cliched POS. One must give credit where credit is due.

This may have been ground-breaking in 1980 - I seriously doubt it - but it's worn out and outdated by today's standards, and not all that new, either. Deux a Machina was old hat even in the 80's. This is just a sad attempt to cash in on Martin's rapidly fading fame.
        It's passed through so many revisions all that may remain is the title. Martin is hot right now, and it's good to see a writer make the big time. Rags to riches.

Comment

It's passed through so many revisions all that may remain is the title. Martin is hot right now, and it's good to see a writer make the big time. Rags to riches.
          A writer who abandons his own series because he gets lost inside his own head is not a success...he is a failure. And he needs to change clothes at least once a year. I'm sure he can afford it.

Comment

A writer who abandons his own series because he gets lost inside his own head is not a success...he is a failure. And he needs to change clothes at least once a year. I'm sure he can afford it.
            The man is a multi-millionaire and a household name. That's success.

Comment

The man is a multi-millionaire and a household name. That's success.
              So are brainless basketball players and Hollywood starlets. I'm obviously more discriminating that you are.

Comment

So are brainless basketball players and Hollywood starlets. I'm obviously more discriminating that you are.
                No, you're just bitter.

Comment

Let's take it down a notch, fellas. I don't want this to escalate.

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                    Let's take it down a notch, fellas. I don't want this to escalate.
                    This is an open movie forum, not your personal one. Feel free to join the discussion with an opinion of your own,or abstain.

I happen to expect a lot from authors like Martin who make millions from readers. If they feed off their fans, then they also have an enormous obligation to their fans.

Nightflyer is a disappointment because it it is cliche` sci-fi. There is absolutely nothing new in the whole show so far, and the point of the series, as announced by Martin himself, is First Contact; however, with only one episode to go he is only now getting the the alleged objective of his story.

Some of this, perhaps a lot of it, can be blamed on the producers - of which he is one - and the current trend to sexuality and mindless violence that dominates too many productions.

There is also the annoying lack of structural integrity seen in all sci-fi spaceships which first manifested itself in the series Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea - at the first sign of trouble things fly apart, steam for crying out loud) bursts forth from everything and the electronics explode in fiery pyrotechnics. In Nightflyer, the never-explained forests self-destruct on a ship apparently built without any safety or back-up systems whatsoever.

The Nightflyer's making first contact, not colonizing because there are no colonists on board, and yet there is a "terraforming" forest? Really? To be used where, exactly? Maintained by whom?

A young telepathic is murderously dangerous but an older and experienced one is not? She has to kill herself?

An android captain who has sex with a GMO female crewmember? How does that work?

So far, this film too closely mimics Event Horizon and several others of the same ilk.

It only takes a few extra minutes of thought to prevent most of the idiocy seen on these programs these days, but since the mindless public won't notice - so they believe - they don't even bother. This reflects directly back on Martin, who sits there like a squatting toad in the same clothes he always wears, feeding us pontifical words of wisdom which don;t even match what he's doing himself.

I'm a far more discriminating reader and viewer that the majority of people. That is readily apparent because I insist on a semi-logical framework. Mars, for example, is infinitely better constructed based on the science of the day, and without the cliches`.

Comment

This is an open movie forum, not your personal one. Feel free to join the discussion with an opinion of your own,or abstain.

I happen to expect a lot from authors like Martin who make millions from readers. If they feed off their fans, then they also have an enormous obligation to their fans.

Nightflyer is a disappointment because it it is cliche` sci-fi. There is absolutely nothing new in the whole show so far, and the point of the series, as announced by Martin himself, is First Contact; however, with only one episode to go he is only now getting the the alleged objective of his story.

Some of this, perhaps a lot of it, can be blamed on the producers - of which he is one - and the current trend to sexuality and mindless violence that dominates too many productions.

There is also the annoying lack of structural integrity seen in all sci-fi spaceships which first manifested itself in the series Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea - at the first sign of trouble things fly apart, steam for crying out loud) bursts forth from everything and the electronics explode in fiery pyrotechnics. In Nightflyer, the never-explained forests self-destruct on a ship apparently built without any safety or back-up systems whatsoever.

The Nightflyer's making first contact, not colonizing because there are no colonists on board, and yet there is a "terraforming" forest? Really? To be used where, exactly? Maintained by whom?

A young telepathic is murderously dangerous but an older and experienced one is not? She has to kill herself?

An android captain who has sex with a GMO female crewmember? How does that work?

So far, this film too closely mimics Event Horizon and several others of the same ilk.

It only takes a few extra minutes of thought to prevent most of the idiocy seen on these programs these days, but since the mindless public won't notice - so they believe - they don't even bother. This reflects directly back on Martin, who sits there like a squatting toad in the same clothes he always wears, feeding us pontifical words of wisdom which don;t even match what he's doing himself.

I'm a far more discriminating reader and viewer that the majority of people. That is readily apparent because I insist on a semi-logical framework. Mars, for example, is infinitely better constructed based on the science of the day, and without the cliches`.
                      I am the moderator. I am not interested in joining your rant about some show. I am only interested in the exchange between you and Rimmer. It is my job to keep the threads civil. In my opinion, this one was potentially going to cross the line. I was being preemptive. And given what I just said, I will refrain from giving my opinion of your response.

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post

I am the moderator. I am not interested in joining your rant about some show. I am only interested in the exchange between you and Rimmer. It is my job to keep the threads civil. In my opinion, this one was potentially going to cross the line. I was being preemptive. And given what I just said, I will refrain from giving my opinion of your response.
                        Congratulations on your appointment to moderator.

Comment

Initial series is over, with a scene steal straight from Star Trek: The Movie. Left it hanging, as always.

For what it's worth, Martin is writing Westerns now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X