Nightflyer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightflyer

Nightflyer, a brand new series purportedly based on a book by George Martin (the guy who failed to finish Game of Thrones", follows a group of crew and scientists on a mission to make First Contact. The crew and scientists are an odd lot, predictably, with a bred-for-space female cadet, a black holographic captain and a murderously sociopathic telepathic teen, plus the usual disposable members of the cast.

The first episode, aired last night, was interesting, although somewhat predictable.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Saw the first ep, wasn't impressed. That ship has to have the worst crew selection process ever.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      Saw the first ep, wasn't impressed. That ship has to have the worst crew selection process ever.
      It does - George R. R. Martin. The concept is interesting to a point, but as I said previously, predictable.

New season is here and the networks are trotting out their latest efforts. If the past is any indication, mostly the lowest common denominator crap will make the cut. Anything requiring actually thought will fall by the wayside.

One thing I noticed right away - Martin is obviously either sexually repressed or sexually deviant...or both.

Comment

His books don't have that graphic or that much sex in them.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

The last sci-fi show I watched was Battle star Galactica and I could Only stand a few episodes of that show.

Maybe this sci-fi show Nightflyer will change my opinion of the Sci Fi channel because right now I almost never watch the sci fi channel.

Seems like Sci Fi has the lowest budgets of all the cable networks , not that huge budget makes a great show. The Syfy channel should somehow try and get some of the great writers out there to write some shows
          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Well, I watched episode 2 last night and it's getting worse, and I agree with you about the whole budget thing. Comic book fantasy has a higher budget than sci-fi, which says a lot about the average mentality of Americans.

Comment

His books don't have that graphic or that much sex in them.
              Seen the show? If not, then your comment is meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Seen the show? If not, then your comment is meaningless.
                I have. Which is why I referenced the books, which if you haven't read them, your entire existence is pointless.

Comment

I have. Which is why I referenced the books, which if you haven't read them, your entire existence is pointless.
                  Books by I-don't-finish Martin? I stopped reading him a while ago when he abandoned a few million readers because he couldn't keep up...with himself.

I have read them, but did not find them interesting enough to match the endless hype.

As for my entire existence, I thought you knew...I exist to keep those like you from running amok unchecked. It's a dirty and thankless job, but someone has to.

Comment

Books by I-don't-finish Martin? I stopped reading him a while ago when he abandoned a few million readers because he couldn't keep up...with himself.

I have read them, but did not find them interesting enough to match the endless hype.

As for my entire existence, I thought you knew...I exist to keep those like you from running amok unchecked. It's a dirty and thankless job, but someone has to.
                    It's good that you think you have a purpose.

His earlier stuff is very good; the deeper he got into GoT the more he got lost. Now he's gone full-bore Hollywood, although with the money he's getting, I don't blame him.

But the sexual content in the TV work is pretty much all Hollywood.

But there's only 8 more episodes left, so I'll probably trudge through it. It's not The Expanse, but there's not much else going on.

Comment

Another episode last night. Proceeding along the lines of Event Horizon with the crew trapped inside a ship with a malignant entity, accented with a steal directly from Silent Running. I realize this was written clear back in 1980, but....

Comment

Another episode last night. Proceeding along the lines of Event Horizon with the crew trapped inside a ship with a malignant entity, accented with a steal directly from Silent Running. I realize this was written clear back in 1980, but....
                        I saw Silent Running.

I haven't watched the two most recent episodes, but I will. It's not great, but I'm pretty much caught up on Forged in Fire, and I don't have a lot else on my list at the moment.

Comment

If it's really bad as you say, then Syfy will keep it for next few years. If it was supposed to be that good, then of course Syfy will dump it right away. Syfy quit on Dark Matter and Expanse way too early, even though both shows are quality shows. Luckily for Expanse fans, it was picked up by Amazon, and the new season will be released sometimes in earl 2019.
                          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                            If it's really bad as you say, then Syfy will keep it for next few years. If it was supposed to be that good, then of course Syfy will dump it right away. Syfy quit on Dark Matter and Expanse way too early, even though both shows are quality shows. Luckily for Expanse fans, it was picked up by Amazon, and the new season will be released sometimes in earl 2019.
                            The Expanse is awesome.

Nightflyer is a ten-episode miniseries, so it won't be coming back.

Comment

Watched another episode last night - totally predictable except for the "revelation" that the captain of this undermanned and poorly built ship is a psychotic Mama's boy. Totally agree with Rimmer that crew selection is a huge oxymoron with this crowd, and why do they keep referring to it as a "colony ship" when it has minimal crew, minimal passengers and ZERO "colonists"?

Small wonder Martin changed over to writing fantasy. He hasn't got what it takes to write realistic science fiction.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X