Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History's Verdict- Roosevelt

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • History's Verdict- Roosevelt

    History's Verdict is a 10 part series aired in 2013 that discusses various leaders of WW2. Some Full episodes of this series are available on YouTube. Here is a preview of the Roosevelt episode the full episode being available on Amazon. I have already watched this episode and it sheds some lights on Roosevelt that some folk may not have known, but also tells us what we do know ie the unprecedented popularity of FDR among Americans,


    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

    George S Patton

  • #2
    Thanks for the reco.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
      Thanks for the reco.
      My pleasure.
      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

      George S Patton

      Comment


      • #4
        For the USA there is only one name that stands atop. Franklin Delano Roosevelt. And behind him I would put in Henry Ford. And that is because our military was ranked 15th in the world behind Romania prior to FDR taking office. But through WW2 the US military catapulted to become #1. We also under FDR came to have the worlds greatest economy which included the worlds largest Gold reserve.




        In my area we had 100,000 Steel and auto jobs due to men such as FDR. One plant was Bethlehem Steel which provided my area with 15,000 jobs. Now today that plant lay dormant, a huge loss of American prestige. In the words of my grandpas co worker whom was a WW2 vet and worked at Bethlehem Steel...FDR was the USAs greatest President and we need another FDR.




        FDRs fireside chats provided a lot of hope to Americans and even people of the world. At numerous allied camps of the USSR, their would be portraits of Churchill, FDR, and Stalin all together as one. Adolf Hitler and German leadership feared FDR for Roosevelts ability to gather Americans together and the civilized people that made up the fighting force of the allied powers. There has been no other time in US history other then WW2 which saw the USA more unified then ever. In terms of civil liberates more could have been done but still the USA was the most liberal country in the world in WW2. Even allied countries such as Ethiopia had legal slavery until the 1930s. Eleanor Roosevelt played a role in getting her husband to push for better rights for African Americans. Indeed the Tuskegee Airman Roscoe Brown praised FDR as a great leader for the black community. So while more could have been done in terms of civil liberties in the USA...we can see that FDR through the influence of his wife was a civil rights leader and did make advancements. We ought realize that 1940s USA was very liberal compared to the rest of the world as said earlier. Consider the time, it was the rise of the Third Reich and opposing it was the allies. The Reich sought to take over the world, it was FDR whom led the free world to defeat the Reich and that is not only something Americans admire but the entire world has payed homage to FDR. Conservatives and Liberals alike respected Roosevelt, decades after WW2 in the 1980s Ronald Reagan as POTUS would recall the first POTUS he ever voted for was FDR, and Reagan said FDR was his hero.




        Here is the biggest reason why FDR was the greatest leader of the USA,




        Jobs.




        That is what drives a country. And FDR once said "If I got a factory job the first thing I would do is join a Union". Indeed at one point in US history Union jobs represented 35% of all jobs in the USA, now today 10% of all jobs in the USA are union jobs. In the American past there were much better jobs. People right out of high school such as numerous members of my own family and my friends families got jobs at steel and auto plants that set them for life. And these jobs lasted for generations.
        Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
        Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

        George S Patton

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
          For the USA there is only one name that stands atop. Franklin Delano Roosevelt. And behind him I would put in Henry Ford. And that is because our military was ranked 15th in the world behind Romania prior to FDR taking office. But through WW2 the US military catapulted to become #1. We also under FDR came to have the worlds greatest economy which included the worlds largest Gold reserve.




          In my area we had 100,000 Steel and auto jobs due to men such as FDR. One plant was Bethlehem Steel which provided my area with 15,000 jobs. Now today that plant lay dormant, a huge loss of American prestige. In the words of my grandpas co worker whom was a WW2 vet and worked at Bethlehem Steel...FDR was the USAs greatest President and we need another FDR.




          FDRs fireside chats provided a lot of hope to Americans and even people of the world. At numerous allied camps of the USSR, their would be portraits of Churchill, FDR, and Stalin all together as one. Adolf Hitler and German leadership feared FDR for Roosevelts ability to gather Americans together and the civilized people that made up the fighting force of the allied powers. There has been no other time in US history other then WW2 which saw the USA more unified then ever. In terms of civil liberates more could have been done but still the USA was the most liberal country in the world in WW2. Even allied countries such as Ethiopia had legal slavery until the 1930s. Eleanor Roosevelt played a role in getting her husband to push for better rights for African Americans. Indeed the Tuskegee Airman Roscoe Brown praised FDR as a great leader for the black community. So while more could have been done in terms of civil liberties in the USA...we can see that FDR through the influence of his wife was a civil rights leader and did make advancements. We ought realize that 1940s USA was very liberal compared to the rest of the world as said earlier. Consider the time, it was the rise of the Third Reich and opposing it was the allies. The Reich sought to take over the world, it was FDR whom led the free world to defeat the Reich and that is not only something Americans admire but the entire world has payed homage to FDR. Conservatives and Liberals alike respected Roosevelt, decades after WW2 in the 1980s Ronald Reagan as POTUS would recall the first POTUS he ever voted for was FDR, and Reagan said FDR was his hero.




          Here is the biggest reason why FDR was the greatest leader of the USA,




          Jobs.




          That is what drives a country. And FDR once said "If I got a factory job the first thing I would do is join a Union". Indeed at one point in US history Union jobs represented 35% of all jobs in the USA, now today 10% of all jobs in the USA are union jobs. In the American past there were much better jobs. People right out of high school such as numerous members of my own family and my friends families got jobs at steel and auto plants that set them for life. And these jobs lasted for generations.
          Actually, historians have already made it clear that FDR's New Deal was an economic failure. That's why FDR was desperate to get into the war, and came up with Lend Lease when Americans refused to go to war prior to Pearl Harbor. Roosevelt was also a heavy drinker and an adulterer. Not such an admirable figure at all.

          You obviously don't know anything about the so-called "wages" during the New Deal. My father ended up having to work for the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps*) - only two meals a day, and the pay was $1.00 per day with half of that by law being sent home. That's way less than a cowboy made driving cattle in the 1800's. He finally got into the Army in 1939 primarily so that he could eat regularly and make more money at a time when his salary as a Sergeant was only $26 dollars a month, but that was almost double his take home under FDR. And for the record, at the time when he could not get a job he was the honor graduate (summa laude) from his class at Stanford.

          And Bethlehem Steel had nothing at all to do with FDR. It was also incredibly dangerous and a lot of good men were killed or maimed in the Bessemer plants because safety was almost non-existent.

          As for Ford, he almost destroyed his company and was eventually forced out because he refused to update anything. The Model T was his sole creation and he stuck with it no matter what, even when Americans wanted something better. He and his son Edsel fought constantly about Ford's total refusal to keep up with the times and the competition.

          The purpose of studying history is to learn to separate the truth from the fiction.

          * The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program which employed young men to perform unskilled work in rural areas; under United States Army supervision. It began in 1933 and ended in 1942.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

            Actually, historians have already made it clear that FDR's New Deal was an economic failure. That's why FDR was desperate to get into the war, and came up with Lend Lease when Americans refused to go to war prior to Pearl Harbor. Roosevelt was also a heavy drinker and an adulterer. Not such an admirable figure at all.

            You obviously don't know anything about the so-called "wages" during the New Deal. My father ended up having to work for the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps*) - only two meals a day, and the pay was $1.00 per day with half of that by law being sent home. That's way less than a cowboy made driving cattle in the 1800's. He finally got into the Army in 1939 primarily so that he could eat regularly and make more money at a time when his salary as a Sergeant was only $26 dollars a month, but that was almost double his take home under FDR. And for the record, at the time when he could not get a job he was the honor graduate (summa laude) from his class at Stanford.

            And Bethlehem Steel had nothing at all to do with FDR. It was also incredibly dangerous and a lot of good men were killed or maimed in the Bessemer plants because safety was almost non-existent.

            As for Ford, he almost destroyed his company and was eventually forced out because he refused to update anything. The Model T was his sole creation and he stuck with it no matter what, even when Americans wanted something better. He and his son Edsel fought constantly about Ford's total refusal to keep up with the times and the competition.

            The purpose of studying history is to learn to separate the truth from the fiction.
            FDR was the greatest American ever . Our Country is ugly today but we were so beautiful in the past.

            When it comes to jobs I’m talking about Ford, Republic steel, Bethlehem steel, general motors those jobs were amazing. It is as American as it gets to stand by FDR who was a great leader for our military and Common man

            yes Roosevelt made the US economy number one in the world. It is an anti-American conservative propaganda talking point that tries to paint Roosevelt as some sort of a poor president. If I were you I will not buy into that because that’s all it is it belongs in no place in American history


            under Roosevelt my Ancestors and your ancestors and most Americans were doing great. All the facts have been laid out all over the place itt and in others.

            It’s a anti-American talking point to suggest FDR was poor with economics. Yes this is about history , FDR was a war leader loved by conservatives and liberals.

            All one would have to do is look around our country and see that we have lost millions of jobs that we used to have because of great men such as Roosevelt and Henry Ford.
            Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 24 Oct 19, 09:08.
            Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
            Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

            George S Patton

            Comment


            • #7
              Mountain man let me tell you something about Bethlehem Steel. My grandfather worked for Bethlehem Steel so whatever type of anti-American view conservatives are trying to get you to believe don’t buy it please.
              Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
              Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

              George S Patton

              Comment


              • #8
                Furthermore MM I talked with a World War II veteran who was a coworker of my grandpa at Bethlehem steel. He said that working at Bethlehem steel was not that bad it was actually more safe to work there compared to Ford Motor Company the 1940s. And while Ford motor company did pay its assembly line workers more compared to workers at the steel plant the work at Ford was much more boring compared to the work at Bethlehem steel. Bethlehem Steel you have the ability to move around and you could take bathroom breaks more so than compared to Ford


                Biggest of all we have not had an American leader like FDR well since FDR. Roosevelt is to be given credit for America’s number one world economy during the world war two era and beyond that.

                I think what you are missing is the fact that under Roosevelt the country had better jobs that’s just a fact it can’t be denied. No matter what some anti-American conservative says by the way some conservatives don’t care about me or you they only care about themselves. Roosevelt truly cared about the country and I can prove that to you because our military and economy became number one in the world under FDR.
                Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                George S Patton

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                  FDR was the greatest American ever . Our Country is ugly today but we were so beautiful in the past.
                  Hmm, I guess we can discount Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson and Adams.


                  Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                  yes Roosevelt made the US economy number one in the world. It is an anti-American conservative propaganda talking point that tries to paint Roosevelt as some sort of a poor president. If I were you I will not buy into that because that’s all it is it belongs in no place in American history
                  World War II made the U.S. economy the strongest in the world. With the destruction of every other major power we were the one economy still intact. As the others recovered we went back to a more normal level.


                  Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                  It's anti-American talking point to suggest FDR was poor with economics.
                  Some economist believe that FDR’s new deal policies extended the depression by up to 7 years.


                  Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                  FDR was a war leader loved by conservatives and liberals.
                  O’Bama was good at spreading a message also doesn’t make him a great leader.

                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So far so good. Let's avoid any personal comments about another member. And remember, this is not a political forum. It's for discussion of movies, etc.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tsar View Post

                      Hmm, I guess we can discount Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson and Adams.




                      World War II made the U.S. economy the strongest in the world. With the destruction of every other major power we were the one economy still intact. As the others recovered we went back to a more normal level.




                      Some economist believe that FDR’s new deal policies extended the depression by up to 7 years.




                      O’Bama was good at spreading a message also doesn’t make him a great leader.

                      I would not discount other Presidents such as Washington and Lincoln, even Reagan. Roosevelt did lead the USA during WW2, it was a combo of WW2 occurring and the US having the right leadership and work of the common man during the war that catapulted the US to become the # 1 economy and military worldwide. The documentary in the OP shows numerous testimony from Americans of the WW2 era that show their appreciation for Roosevelt.
                      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                      George S Patton

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        One of the long-standing criticisms of FDR is How Roosevelt opposed “the judges.”

                        To respond to that criticism is very easy. The reason why Roosevelt was at odds with some of the supreme court judges was because the justices we’re not in favor of eliminating things like child labor, the judges were against providing overtime pay to the workers, the judges where against ensuring that employers do not steal tips from waitresses. Though FDR was able to appoint some of his supreme court justices such as Hugo Black... and these are probably the greatest supreme court justices to ever exist in US history. Every supreme court justice in the US today can learn from Hugo black. Ruth Ginsberg needs to learn from Hugo Black. It was great men such as Hugo Black that would make our supreme court a better place. Roosevelt appointed black to uphold civil rights legislation’s and to provide a fair workplace for all Americans. Americans of today owe everything to men such as Hugo black.



                        It was Hugo black who was instrumental in the fair labor standards act of 1938.


                        Men such a Hugo Black, Franklin Roosevelt and women such as Mary Norton and Frances Perkins are some of the greatest Americans and the greatest human beings to ever live. They cared about making the world a better place and that’s something that modern day American leader ship Democrat and Republican not only should learn from but need to learn from. Our country is not what it used to be but there’s always hope


                        Apologies for any typos as this message was sent via iPhone
                        Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 23 Dec 19, 10:09.
                        Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                        Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                        George S Patton

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Outsider looking in I see him as... interesting. There is a lot to like, and a lot to shake your head at, but he was at the helm during the hardest days the US had in that living memory. He made mistakes (liking Uncle Joe was a biggie), but mostly he did a pretty good job.

                          Interesting.. compex and flawed, not a saint but also not a sinner. Just... interesting.
                          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

                          That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                            Outsider looking in I see him as... interesting. There is a lot to like, and a lot to shake your head at, but he was at the helm during the hardest days the US had in that living memory. He made mistakes (liking Uncle Joe was a biggie), but mostly he did a pretty good job.

                            Interesting.. compex and flawed, not a saint but also not a sinner. Just... interesting.
                            Roosevlt \caught on to the same idea that Hadjemar Schachs worked out in Germany- that putting the countries' massive amount of underutilised industrial plant was the first folution to the depression.
                            The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by marktwain View Post

                              Roosevlt \caught on to the same idea that Hadjemar Schachs worked out in Germany- that putting the countries' massive amount of underutilised industrial plant was the first folution to the depression.
                              And they both butted up against the same roadblock, namely, peacetime stimulants to aggregate demand can only take you so far. Sooner or later, a really big war will be needed to break the logjam.
                              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X