Comment

And here is my ranking of the top 5.
        1. The Longest Day
        2. Sands of Iwo Jima
        3. They Were Expendable
        4. The Alamo
        5. The Horse Soldiers

Comment

When The Dook passed away it made front page news in every UK newspaper including the local evening newspapers... not bad for bloke who spent the best part of his career playing John Wayne!

The long toll of the brave
          Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Hath passed the light of noble deeds
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

The Shootist was , in my mind, his epitaph.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
              1. The Longest Day
              2. Sands of Iwo Jima
              3. They Were Expendable
              4. The Alamo
              5. The Horse Soldiers
              But it leaves out The Searchers, The Shootist, True Grit, In Harms Way and several other equally fine performances, and Longest Day was not a John Wayne film - he was merely one of many outstanding actors that played bit parts in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

But it leaves out The Searchers, The Shootist, True Grit, In Harms Way and several other equally fine performances, and Longest Day was not a John Wayne film - he was merely one of many outstanding actors that played bit parts in it.
                The Searchers is a Western more than a war movie. The Shootist and True Grit are by no definition war movies. I do not think In Harm's Way is a good movie. I take your point about The Longest Day, but he is the biggest star and it is a great movie.

Comment

The Searchers is a Western more than a war movie. The Shootist and True Grit are by no definition war movies. I do not think In Harm's Way is a good movie. I take your point about The Longest Day, but he is the biggest star and it is a great movie.
                  He was far from the "biggest star" in Longest Day. Try Fonda, Burton and Connery, Douglas for starters.

I didn't realize you restricted Wayne films to war films, in which case no excuse for omitting Harms Way, and absolutely no excuse for omitting any film because "you didn't like it".

The Undefeated
                  The Green Berets (corny by current standards)
                  The Alamo
                  Flying Tigers
                  Fighting SeaBees
                  Back to Bataan
                  *Operation Pacific (*rated by critics as one of his best)

Comment

He was far from the "biggest star" in Longest Day. Try Fonda, Burton and Connery, Douglas for starters.

Nobody likes a smart arse... but you'll find he wasn't actually in that flim, old chap.

The long toll of the brave
                    Is not lost in darkness
                    Over the fruitful earth
                    And athwart the seas
                    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

1. The Longest Day
                      2. Sands of Iwo Jima
                      3. They Were Expendable
                      4. The Alamo
                      5. The Horse Soldiers
                      A lot of people today might be surprised to hear that The Alamo was a bit of a financial flop when it came out. Wayne put up some of his own money for that movie, and never got back his investment. When he was asked to be in The Longest Day, he demanded $250K as a salary. All the other actors of note had agreed to take $25K, which was under their normal salaries, just because of what the movie was about. Wayne wanted more than everyone else because the producer, Darryl Zanuck, had been referring to him as "Poor John Wayne." Demanding 10 times the salary of everyone else was Wayne's way of getting back at Zanuck...and being John Wayne, he got the $250K. Also, Richard Burton and Roddy McDowell were originally not cast in the film. They were in Italy filming Cleopatra at the same time that The Longest Day was being filmed in, and got bored sitting around the hotel waiting to be called to the set. They called up Zanuck and asked for a part, Zanuck agreed, and Burton and McDowell flew themselves to the set, on their own dime, for what were unwritten cameo parts.

Comment

Sorry, could't help it, although it is from the same movie.

"You'll poke your eye out!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post

"You'll poke your eye out!"
                          I'll take my chances.

Comment

I didn't realize you restricted Wayne films to war films, in which case no excuse for omitting Harms Way, and absolutely no excuse for omitting any film because "you didn't like it".

The Undefeated
                            The Green Berets (corny by current standards)
                            The Alamo
                            Flying Tigers
                            Fighting SeaBees
                            Back to Bataan
                            *Operation Pacific (*rated by critics as one of his best)
                            Dude, you are a piece of work. You love to offer your opinions and then criticize others for offering their's. I never claimed the list was factual. It is my opinion, just like your opinion that "In Harm's Way" is a good movie. In my opinion, it is crap. As far having "absolutely no excuse" - why do I need one. It's MY OPINION. Start your own thread if you want to create your own list, otherwise stay under your bridge.

As far as your list of movies I did not include - all are pictured except "The Undefeated" which I do not consider a war movie. It is okay for you to have the opinion that it is. I'm not going to criticize you for that because it's YOUR OPINION.

In 1961 and 1962, Wayne was the #4 box office star. No one else in the cast was in the top 10. I stand by my opinion that he was the biggest star in the movie. Even bigger than Douglas (who was not in the movie). Sean Connery? Check his filmography and get back to me on how he was a bigger star than Wayne in 1962. Are you basing that on "Darby O'Gill and the Little People"?

Comment

Or the WW 1 German merchant ship captain...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X