Dale Dye on 100 Greatest War Movie Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dale Dye on 100 Greatest War Movie Panel

The GI Film Festival is the first film festival in the nation to exclusively celebrate the successes and sacrifices of the American military through the medium of film.

The four-day festival will be held on May 14-18, 2008 in Washington, DC. Captain Dye, a member of the Entertainment Advisory Team for the Festival, is planning on attending and participating in the 100 Greatest War Movies of All Time Panel.

Check it out and consider attending...it should be a great event!

From http://WarriorsInc.com
    Last edited by Paul Mann III; 20 Apr 08, 14:37.
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

That is an interesting idea.

I have to go to DC sometime this summer, but that is a little too soon, otherwise I would have adjusted my schedule to try and attend. Someone has to bring the Oliver Stone hate flyers

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
      That is an interesting idea.

I have to go to DC sometime this summer, but that is a little too soon, otherwise I would have adjusted my schedule to try and attend. Someone has to bring the Oliver Stone hate flyers
      And this is where we ask you: why do you hate Oliver Stone? And you reply:
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
        And this is where we ask you: why do you hate Oliver Stone? And you reply:
        Because his favorite way to portray vets was as psychopathic killers and morans.

Comment

Because his favorite way to portray vets was as psychopathic killers and morans.
          Is that a shot at "Platoon" or "Born on the Fourth of July?"
          "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
            Is that a shot at "Platoon" or "Born on the Fourth of July?"
            Platoon. Born on the Fourth of July is his other anti war film.

Comment

ACG will be there

Just an FYI, there will be someone from the ACG staff attending this event.
              Look for some coverage of it coming soon after the event.

Chad
              "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Yeah, like Scarface...

That's right, Tony Montana was a veteran...

BoRG

Comment

Right..., they're all clean-cut John Wayne types...

H-, How do you feel about the film "The Deer Hunter?" Does it portray vets in a poor light, or show the horrible potential side-effects of being in a war?

"Platoon" is dark for a reason. We already have plenty of hero-worship oriented war films, plenty that only show "good" soldiers. It's like watching the same movie over and over again. If nothing else, "Platoon" is unique in its technical accuracy, and its dark storyline is a bonus. Something different...

If you want unbridled, clean clut, glorious soldiering... well you know... insert John Wayne joke here.

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                    Right..., they're all clean-cut John Wayne types....
                    No, but for some reason in the WWII movies, even the rough types come out as being loveable despite their peccadillos. However in VN war movies they don't.

H-, How do you feel about the film "The Deer Hunter?"
                    It wasn't a war film.

"Platoon" is dark for a reason. We already have plenty of hero-worship oriented war films, plenty that only show "good" soldiers. It's like watching the same movie over and over again. If nothing else, "Platoon" is unique in its technical accuracy, and its dark storyline is a bonus. Something different... .
                    Not in portrayals of the VN war. It is typical in that respect.

If you want unbridled, clean clut, glorious soldiering... well you know... insert John Wayne joke here.
                    Personally I would rather live in a world that has the values of John Wayne than one that has the values of Oliver Stone. That may not be reality, but I think it is something better to strive for and hope for for our children.

Despite your interest in the grit, which world would you want your children to grow up in?

Men go out and do unspeakable things in war, in hopes that their families and children will not have to be exposed to such things.

Comment

The Deer Hunter makes a lot of war movie lists. I'll bet it's on this one too...

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X